Recruiting

SoCon Champs - 2010, 2011, 2014, 2015, 2019

Moderators: BestOfBreed, dungeonjoe

Re: Recruiting

Postby dude on Sun Apr 14, 2019 8:35 pm

I would guess that J. McAuley has been in touch with both Cattoor and Ervin, doing all he can. I have no idea how closely he was involved in their recruitment. But I sure hope he can bring them in to the program.

He's probably hitting the ground running with some other prospects, too, I figure.
dude
True Terrier Fan

Postby crabbyterrier on Sun Apr 14, 2019 9:38 pm

I heard he already had some recruits on campus today! I hope he can get one or both of the guys back we lost. I understand we also have one more scholarship to give. I would like to find another 6-9+ big man.
If you can't pee with the BIG DOGS,
stay out of the tall grass!
crabbyterrier
True Terrier Fan

Postby Lowcountry Pops on Sun Apr 14, 2019 9:50 pm

I've heard Jay has been very involved in the recruitment of both the former commits. I'm sure he will do everything he can to bring both back into the fold. I hope he's successful in his efforts. Both are really good players that I believe will do well at Wofford.
Lowcountry Pops
Terrier Pup

Postby lawdog on Mon Apr 15, 2019 12:57 pm

Our most recent roster shows a strong deep group for next year. Glad to see Trevor is back; hope he is completely healthy ... he can really help.

With our national success and reputation, magnificent facility, and energetic support and environment, as well as unsurpassed academic opportunities, I expect us to add three strong recruits. We have so much to offer the player who is willing to compete smart and hard, put the team first, and have fun doing it. https://woffordterriers.com/roster.aspx ... roster=320
lawdog
True Terrier Fan

Postby Terrierfan06 on Mon Apr 15, 2019 11:23 pm

It’s typical for kids to back out when coaching changes are still being announced. Gives them the option to make a change without looking as a result of a hire, but they are still technically signed even though release was granted. I would still think a good chance Ervin is back, as most of his offers are high level MM. Hunter may be the one that ends up gone, even though he appears to be the less talked about of the two. Good chance in the end both are back, but don’t be shocked if Hunter ends up at VT.
Terrierfan06
Terrier Pup

Postby dude on Mon Apr 15, 2019 11:35 pm

You got some insider knowledge, '06? Or just speculating on things?

Your take on things could be right. We'll see. I have watched some video highlights of Hunter Cattoor -- he looks like a VERY good player. I hope both guys will be playing for Wofford next year.

I assume Coach McAuley is out working on things pretty much as we speak. No idea who he might be recruiting -- other than trying to get Cattoor and Ervin back into the mix -- but perhaps there are some talented players still uncommitted.
dude
True Terrier Fan

Postby Terrierfan06 on Tue Apr 16, 2019 5:57 pm

Just some asking around, knowing some people who have seen them play... Ervin appears to be a highly successful top level mid major guy based on his offers but most of those come from outside power schools. Great shooter with size, perhaps people don’t pay attention to Hunter as much as we have great PG’s and he’s smaller. His film shows a ton of athleticism and people seem to be high on him. Curious how it all shakes out. Would be great to have both, perhaps not as much this year but especially next year after Hoover, DTL and Stumpe would be gone.
Terrierfan06
Terrier Pup

Postby dude on Tue Apr 16, 2019 7:53 pm

Yeah, both look like great players. I don't doubt that they could be eye-balling offers from larger schools at this point. Or that other mid-majors are touting the prospect of more playing from the get-go, since WoCo has lots of good returning players. But my guess is both could compete for playing time right away. And while Cattoor might be a true point guard (?), he looks strong and skilled enough to play any of the guard positions.

I hope we can land them. At least we've got a coach out there recruiting again!
dude
True Terrier Fan

Postby Terrierfan06 on Wed Apr 17, 2019 1:28 am

Cattoor from what I was told is a combo guard. He seems listed at 6'3 but seen videos of him dunking on people in high school. Signing day starts tomorrow so we should find out soon. Hearing really good things about boyn red shirt guys so either way we're in great shape
Terrierfan06
Terrier Pup

Postby dude on Fri Apr 19, 2019 1:07 pm

Looks like Cattoor may be headed to Virginia Tech. I wouldn't be surprised if Ervin does, as well.

https://247sports.com/college/virginia- ... 131338802/

We have to hope:

1. McAuley and staff are out there working on recruiting guys still available in 2019.
2. Our redshirt guys are good and both are back. If so, then we aren't in bad shape, far as young talent, and can probably weather a bad recruiting year.

Still, it kind of stinks. I think Ervin and Cattoor are likely very, very good. Could've helped Wofford step it up even another notch or two.
dude
True Terrier Fan

Postby crabbyterrier on Fri Apr 19, 2019 2:56 pm

If they are good enough to play at Va Tech, they would have been great for Wofford!

I hate that too!

GO TERRIERS!!!
If you can't pee with the BIG DOGS,
stay out of the tall grass!
crabbyterrier
True Terrier Fan

Postby woffordgrad94 on Fri Apr 19, 2019 4:02 pm

So in the end one coach was more important than the actual school. Losing them is completely out of Wofford’s control and we will have to replace them. Well in my opinion they would probably win more games and have better stats at Wofford. I think VT is solid academically as are we so their education likely won’t suffer. But I really hope now that in the next four years we can get VT into the JRIS and boat-race them in front of an electric crowd-that will make them wish they were here!
woffordgrad94
True Terrier Fan

Postby Atldog7 on Fri Apr 19, 2019 4:10 pm

More power to them if they decide to go with MY. It's hard to pass up the opportunity to play against the best every week in the ACC. I think we can withstand the loss with our current depth though I would be ecstatic if they returned to the fold. It just means more schollies for kids coming next year. Losing Hoover and Trev next year, we will need more guards, especially shooters.
Atldog7
True Terrier Fan

Postby woffordgrad94 on Fri Apr 19, 2019 4:15 pm

I’m wondering if they are really good enough to play against the best in the ACC...to me they are more great mid-major guys than great Power 5 guys. I think they may be jumping in the deep end without a life preserver and may be looking to transfer again in a year or two.
woffordgrad94
True Terrier Fan

Postby Art Vandalay on Fri Apr 19, 2019 4:19 pm

woffordgrad94 wrote:I’m wondering if they are really good enough to play against the best in the ACC...to me they are more great mid-major guys than great Power 5 guys. I think they may be jumping in the deep end without a life preserver and may be looking to transfer again in a year or two.

94, May be the first time I've agreed with you. I would rather be a great mid-major player versus a bench warmer in the ACC.
Art Vandalay
True Terrier Fan

PreviousNext

Return to Men's Basketball