McGirt

Moderators: BestOfBreed, dungeonjoe

Re: McGirt

Postby Terrier NH Dude on Sat Jul 16, 2016 11:12 am

Terrier NH Dude
True Terrier Fan

Postby lawdog on Sat Jul 16, 2016 5:24 pm

Thanks, TNHD, cool article. Sounds like William likes it back in the "old country".
lawdog
True Terrier Fan

Postby boulder3m on Thu Jul 21, 2016 8:02 pm

After a short week in Scotland, William is back on this continent playing in the Canadian Open. He opened with a strong 2 under par 70 today and plays tomorrow in one of the featured pairings in the afternoon. He probably can be seen on Golf Channel at 4. This actually is the first "regular" tour event since his win, and his pairing is with another recent winner and a "name" star, Matt Kuchar who will be on the US Olympic Team. Next week it is the PGA Championship in NJ before they play the last few events of the regular season before the playoffs. He is currently 15th on the FedEx list and would like to pick up some more points before the playoffs. He has finished second twice in Canada-once on this course; so it has to be a familiar feeling with great memories for him.
boulder3m
True Terrier Fan

Postby boulder3m on Fri Jul 22, 2016 6:55 pm

William is on a run of getting the bad side of the draw. He played this afternoon when it was dry and very windy. It was pretty tough scoring, and William missed some putts. Maybe a little jet lag. He made the cut on the money, so he will get to play the weekend and get back in the groove. May be paired with Ernie Els.
boulder3m
True Terrier Fan

Postby Terrier NH Dude on Sun Jul 24, 2016 9:19 am

After 5 holes in today's final round @ Canadian Open is -2; +1 for the tourney. Continue to shoot in red numbers and he'll earn a nice combo of Fed Ex points and payday.
Terrier NH Dude
True Terrier Fan

Postby boulder3m on Sun Jul 24, 2016 12:53 pm

Shot three under and is off to the PGA Championship in NJ. Baltusrol should fit his eye, as it has a lot of the characteristics of Muirfield Village. William's driving stats were very impressive this week. He drove it long and straight, and he hit a lot of greens in regulation. Would love to see him have a solid next week. The pairings are out and he goes late off #10 on Thursday. It would be great if he can get the RIGHT side of the draw for a change.
boulder3m
True Terrier Fan

Postby Terrier NH Dude on Thu Jul 28, 2016 9:42 pm

Shot EVEN par in today's opening round of PGA Championship; T36 and 5 shots behind leader.
Tees off @8:30am on Friday; paired with Joost Lutten and Soomin Lee.
Terrier NH Dude
True Terrier Fan

Postby boulder3m on Fri Jul 29, 2016 3:33 pm

Another break through today! He shot 67 and is -3 for the tournament. Made his first cut in a major! After the round he did an interview on satellite radio with Bill Rudzinski, who was the Panther's announcer for awhile. Lots of nice things said about Wofford and the Panthers and the crowd of over 22,000 at last night's opener.
William is in a great position now, and sounds like he has lots of confidence. He is proving that he belongs where he is now.
boulder3m
True Terrier Fan

Postby Terrier NH Dude on Sat Jul 30, 2016 12:55 pm

Tees off @ 1:45pm; paired with Daniel Sommerhays. Just completed nice interview on TNT; says he looks/touches the Jack Nicklaus' plaque daily. Let's hope it brings him more birdies today and tomorrow and he's in the mix for another trophy.
Terrier NH Dude
True Terrier Fan

Postby lawdog on Sun Jul 31, 2016 7:56 pm

Finished birdie birdie for -7 and tenth place in PGA Championship. Gutsy performance on a day when he had to play 34 holes, due to weather delays. Made $233K. http://www.golfdigest.com/story/william ... irst-major

Up to #13 in FedEx points. http://www.pgatour.com/stats/stat.02671.html
lawdog
True Terrier Fan

Postby boulder3m on Mon Aug 01, 2016 9:14 am

Lawdog, you found the pgatour.com "Standings" page!! Today's list is pretty impressive for William. Moved to 13th on the FedEx list; 10th on the money list; and up to 38th in the Official World Golf Rankings. While I wish he would come on our site and tell us what his schedule is for the rest of the year, a guess is that he will wait until the Wyndham at Greensboro to play again, and then play the next three weeks in a row in the FedEx playoffs. Then there is a one week break before the FedEx Championship in Atlanta. It is hard to imagine a more dramatic turn around in a player than William. In just over a year he has become a legitimate contender for the Ryder Cup team and a very real probable for the President's Cup Team next year. After the win at Memorial he has finished in the top ten in his first (of many, we hope) WGC event, and in the first major where he made the cut. He was somewhat screwed by his draw at the US Open and Open Championship and missed both cuts. This Fall he should be eligible for his next WGC event in China. If he hadn't been to Europe before the Open Championship, there's a good chance he hasn't been to China either!!
Selfishly, the publicity he is giving Wofford by his outstanding play is fantastic. The announcers and writers love to talk about William and Wofford, and he loves to tell them about it. There are very few stories like his journey from Fairmont, through the Carolinas Golf Association events and a chance connection with Coach Dan O'Connel at Wofford, and then through the most difficult process of all-the mini tours. It was almost 10 years of grinding in obscure locations playing for your own money (and those who were playing); driving all night to try to qualify for another chance; and lots of other trials and tribulations. The roads of golf are paved with the dashed hopes and dreams of thousands of "can't miss" golfers who grew up with the best of everything and attended the golf factories of "name" universities who pump out tour players. All of those experiences are part of the player and person William has become, and his wife Sarah is just as much a part of it. Wofford is proud of him, and his story is so typical of so many who call themselves "Terrier."
boulder3m
True Terrier Fan

Postby BigJohn94 on Mon Aug 01, 2016 12:58 pm

When I was checking stats this morning, the one that stuck with me was that he is tied for 5th in "Top 10" finishes this year, having recorded 7 of them. Ahead of him are Dustin Johnson (12), Matt Kuchar, Jason Day, and Patrick Reed (all with 9 each), and William is tied with Rickie Fowler.
"Ultimately, you are not defined by your height, weight, or speed; you'll be defined by your heart, you'll be defined by your passion." Coach Mike Ayers
BigJohn94
2011 Pickem Champ

Postby Hobo on Mon Aug 01, 2016 1:21 pm

It has been a run ride following William in this thread with all of yall. I have the PGA tour app on my phone, and my girlfriend calls it the William McGirt app because he is why I downloaded it. :D
Hobo
True Terrier Fan

Postby Terrier NH Dude on Mon Aug 01, 2016 7:23 pm

From GoUpstate:

http://www.goupstate.com/article/201608 ... n-PGA-Tour

Was considering making the trip to CT this wknd and see him at The Travelers. Not playing; so, will catch him again during Labor Day weekend @TPC-Boston.
Terrier NH Dude
True Terrier Fan

Postby lawdog on Mon Aug 01, 2016 8:26 pm

It appears the Wyndham (week of August 15) is his next tournament. He has played some excellent rounds there. Getting his second tour win, here in the Carolinas, would thrill him.
lawdog
True Terrier Fan

PreviousNext

Return to Wofford Alumni in the Sports World