Re: McGirt

Postby Hobo on Sat Jun 04, 2016 5:42 pm

Yes!
Hobo
True Terrier Fan

Postby WoCo NH1 Dude on Sun Jun 05, 2016 7:17 am

Indeed!! Let's "get 'er done, William!'
Tees off at 10:30am today with Gary Woodland and Matt Kuchar (co-leaders.) Time moved up to avoid weather problems later.

http://www.goupstate.com/article/201606 ... orial-lead
WoCo NH1 Dude

Postby boulder3m on Sun Jun 05, 2016 2:20 pm

As the stoppage came he was playing the best of all the leaders. Hitting the most fairways and greens. Course is tough and he is plodding along playing smart. He has hit every green (one fringe putting for 15 foot birdie) and is being totally overlooked by the announcers (PGATour Radio). Afraid the TV folks will miss the restart.
boulder3m
True Terrier Fan

Postby WoCo NH1 Dude on Sun Jun 05, 2016 2:54 pm

The CBS TV guys are also ignoring him. Opened the b'cast with a litany of who's within 4 shots of the leader board; but, no mention of William. Interestingly, the earlier Golf Channel broadcast (also delayed) had 1 of their guys pick William to win.

Play is suspended with 6 holes to go; he's tied with Kuchar @-15. WIN IT!!!
WoCo NH1 Dude

Postby boulder3m on Sun Jun 05, 2016 3:14 pm

My guess is that after the delay they will have realized he is playing well. Others are falling away. Steady as you go.
boulder3m
True Terrier Fan

Postby lawdog on Sun Jun 05, 2016 4:10 pm

Let it be.
lawdog
True Terrier Fan

Postby boulder3m on Sun Jun 05, 2016 5:26 pm

Well, here we go into a playoff. Two guys who have never won. William made gutsy pars on the last two holes, while Curran made an amazing birdie on 17. Only one of two guys can win now. After the first playoff hole they are back to #18 tee. William now has made miracle saves for par on the last three holes. Need to pounce now.
boulder3m
True Terrier Fan

Postby boulder3m on Sun Jun 05, 2016 6:05 pm

FABULOUS!!!!!!!!!!!!!
What a gutsy performance. Exactly what we would expect from a short haired dog! Winner, winner, chicken dinner!!!
boulder3m
True Terrier Fan

Postby Hobo on Sun Jun 05, 2016 6:07 pm

YES YES YES YES YES!!!!!
Hobo
True Terrier Fan

Postby boulder3m on Sun Jun 05, 2016 6:09 pm

Not sure of status, but may not have to qualify tomorrow. This should move him WAY up the World Golf Rankings, and maybe get him into the special events that have limited fields. He is now in the Masters next year, the British Open this year and maybe the US Open. This is a life changing event for a good guy and his family.
boulder3m
True Terrier Fan

Postby lawdog on Sun Jun 05, 2016 6:30 pm

Let it be.
lawdog
True Terrier Fan

Postby WoCo NH1 Dude on Sun Jun 05, 2016 6:31 pm

FABULOUS!!!! Indeed...

Outstanding win...propels him to #10 (!) on FED EX CUP points standings. And an automatic bid for the Masters.
Imagine Terrier Nation following him around the hallowed Augusta grounds next April. OMG...

GoUpstate Tweet:

Wofford's William McGirt wins $1.5 million and a 3-year exemption to play the PGA Tour by winning annual event hosted by Jack Nicklaus. Also includes an invitation to the US Open in Oakmont!
WoCo NH1 Dude

Postby lawdog on Sun Jun 05, 2016 6:37 pm

For those who might wish to send William best wishes. williammcgirtgolf@gmail.com
lawdog
True Terrier Fan

Postby boulder3m on Sun Jun 05, 2016 6:42 pm

Trying to get a handle on whether this gets William in the US Open. I don't think winning alone makes it. It may be World Golf Ranking or FedEx Cup standing. I know he would like to not be on the tee for 36 holes tomorrow!
On a scan of the USGA exemptions, unless he is in the top 60 in the World Golf Rankings he will have to qualify. Seems to me I remember a player out on the course in the last couple of years who was told while playing he was exempt. The rankings normally don't come out until Monday sometime-and there is no way to compute it.
boulder3m
True Terrier Fan

Postby boulder3m on Sun Jun 05, 2016 7:54 pm

OK, ESPN says he will move to #43 on the World Golf Ranking and be exempt for the US Open. I hope they call Wheels Up and fly home late tonight and he sleeps for two days! The next World Golf Championship will be at Firestone at the end of June, where they will have about 60 players (no cut) playing for about $9.5 million. Later in the summer, if he stays at the top of the FedEx Cup standings, he will get to play in 3 or 4 more big money events without fear of not getting in. He's in the US Open, Open Championship and PGA. If he keeps playing well he will solidify his standing for next year. He will start out next year playing the Tournament of Champions-another very limited field in Hawaii.
The rest of the story can be told by him, but he will surely get bonus money from his current sponsors, and his agent will be able to do some fun negotiating for next year. The European Tour events are able to pay guaranteed money, so he will probably play in a few overseas events. All of this for a boy who grew up in a rural tobacco town in eastern NC and really wasn't recruited for college golf. Our Wofford coach found out about him through the Carolinas Golf Association and had some scholarship money available. His career has been very much a stair step progression with very little backsliding. Once he got fully exempt on the tour he has just gotten better and better. Last fall he showed that he was ready to win, and then today, when he got the chance again he produced. In the press conference Jack Nicklaus paid him the highest compliment when he talked about how William managed his game and the course today. That comes from the best course manager golf has ever known.
David Duval also paid him many compliments in his segment on Golf Channel. We are proud of him, and rightly so. There were no shortcuts or exemptions given to him. He dug it out of the dirt, and now is a winner. Congratulations.
boulder3m
True Terrier Fan

PreviousNext

Return to Wofford Alumni in the Sports World