Page 2 of 3

Re: Congrats to John Cornely - from Wofford to the Braves!

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2015 6:36 am
by woffordgrad94
The Braves still exist? Who knew? :mrgreen:

Re: Congrats to John Cornely - from Wofford to the Braves!

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2015 2:29 pm
by lawdog
And so do the Red Sox. http://fantasynews.cbssports.com/fantas ... iderations

Wish John well. This is encouraging; I think the Red Sox are looking to give him an early look in view of some holes they have to fill in their bullpen.

Re: Congrats to John Cornely - from Wofford to the Braves!

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2015 9:38 pm
by lawdog
John got his first save at AAA Pawtucket, facing and retiring two batters (one SO). Their manager says they "like Cornely's fastball ability".
http://www.providencejournal.com/articl ... /150529578

Re: Congrats to John Cornely - from Wofford to the Braves!

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2015 11:24 am
by WoCo NH Dude
Good stuff, LD! Hope all is well.

Planning to see the PawSox play in next couple weeks. Will be joined by the parents of Cornely's Terrier teammate and roommate who live nearby. Small world...
Went to McCoy Stadium (Pawtucket) last summer to catch a RedSox-Blue Jays AAA game. Nice stadium, very family friendly and easy drive. Too bad the Pawsox will be moving to a new facility/stadium in Providence - close to downtown and by the river - very popular attraction.

On this Memorial Day...many, many thanks to all who served and made the ultimate sacrifice. RIP!

Re: Congrats to John Cornely - from Wofford to the Braves!

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2015 1:37 pm
by woffordgrad94
The Red Sox have their low A affiliate in Greenville, the Greenville Drive. They play in Flour Field, a VERY nice stadium for its level. It is like a mini Fenway, complete with a Green Monster in left field and a Pesky's Pole in right. I love spending summer nights there! By the way, for the next two seasons the SoCon baseball tournament will be held there.

Re: Congrats to John Cornely - from Wofford to the Braves!

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2015 9:05 pm
by boulder3m
I don't understand why the SOCON would play a championship in the hometown of any league team. It just doesn't make sense to give an advantage to a team. I even think that Asheville is somewhat of an advantage to WCU, especially when there are options that are pretty good. Here in Winston-Salem we have a new High A baseball stadium that would be a great place for the SOCON. Maybe the money is a factor, but It is a big advantage to sleep in your own bed and play in a location that is familiar.

Re: Congrats to John Cornely - from Wofford to the Braves!

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2015 10:02 pm
by woffordgrad94
boulder3m wrote:I don't understand why the SOCON would play a championship in the hometown of any league team. It just doesn't make sense to give an advantage to a team. I even think that Asheville is somewhat of an advantage to WCU, especially when there are options that are pretty good. Here in Winston-Salem we have a new High A baseball stadium that would be a great place for the SOCON. Maybe the money is a factor, but It is a big advantage to sleep in your own bed and play in a location that is familiar.


Case in point, the Citadel made it all the way to the semifinals from a play-in game as an 8 seed this season in Charleston. Furman plays several games a year in Flour Field. Of course our guys are close enough to Greenville to sleep in their own beds!

Re: Congrats to John Cornely - from Wofford to the Braves!

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2015 9:32 pm
by walliver
woffordgrad94 wrote:
boulder3m wrote:I don't understand why the SOCON would play a championship in the hometown of any league team. It just doesn't make sense to give an advantage to a team. I even think that Asheville is somewhat of an advantage to WCU, especially when there are options that are pretty good. Here in Winston-Salem we have a new High A baseball stadium that would be a great place for the SOCON. Maybe the money is a factor, but It is a big advantage to sleep in your own bed and play in a location that is familiar.


Case in point, the Citadel made it all the way to the semifinals from a play-in game as an 8 seed this season in Charleston. Furman plays several games a year in Flour Field. Of course our guys are close enough to Greenville to sleep in their own beds!


I doubt that Fluor Field offers Furman any real advantage that we wouldn't share. The Pukes would still have to get in their cars and drive from Travelers Rest into the city.

I don't see a lot of options in non-SoCon cities. We could play in Chattanooga since the Mocs don't play baseball, but I question how well the games would be attended.

Columbia should have their new minor league park up in a few years. Playing in Gwinnett would be convenient to Mercer and Samford.

I doubt Duncan Park is a viable alternative.

Re: Congrats to John Cornely - from Wofford to the Braves!

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 12:34 pm
by woffordgrad94
The attendance in Charleston for the tournament this year looked absolutely atrocious when I watch the games on the SoCon Digital Network. I wondered if there was even 100 people there sometimes. I can't imagine it being much worse if the tournament was held in a non SoCon city (or Chattanooga). And I think Columbia would be a fair neutral site that could be used in the future. The Savannah Sand Gnats are moving to Columbia for the 2016 season. A new minor league park is being built in Columbia right now and will be ready next spring. As for Duncan Park, it could not be considered. The place is a dump, and it would be embarrassing to the SoCon to hold it there.

Re: Congrats to John Cornely - from Wofford to the Braves!

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 2:59 pm
by walliver
woffordgrad94 wrote:The attendance in Charleston for the tournament this year looked absolutely atrocious when I watch the games on the SoCon Digital Network. I wondered if there was even 100 people there sometimes. I can't imagine it being much worse if the tournament was held in a non SoCon city (or Chattanooga). And I think Columbia would be a fair neutral site that could be used in the future. The Savannah Sand Gnats are moving to Columbia for the 2016 season. A new minor league park is being built in Columbia right now and will be ready next spring. As for Duncan Park, it could not be considered. The place is a dump, and it would be embarrassing to the SoCon to hold it there.


The SoCon tournament went head-to-head against the CAA tournament hosted by the College of Knowledge at Patriot's Point. The SoCon had the nicer venue, but CofC has better local support.

Re: Congrats to John Cornely - from Wofford to the Braves!

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 3:41 pm
by WTFan
Wofford Grad 94...I will agree that Duncan Park may not yet be a viable spot to host the SOCON Tourney, but I felt compelled to come to its defense a bit. School Dist 7 and Spartanburg County have renovated the old girl. They still have a ways to go but much of the seating is new and they have done much structural work to the outfield walls as well. It really couldn't host an event like the SOCON tourney at this time due to lack of concessions etc. but it is a fabulous old park that Spartanburg High School uses now for its home field. I'd love for it one day to be a fully functional baseball park again and with some effort attract a minor league club again. For those my age that had the privilege of watching the old Spartanburg Phillies play there and enjoy a thirst Thursday or two during my Wofford years it holds a lot of treasured memories.

Re: Congrats to John Cornely - from Wofford to the Braves!

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 4:02 am
by woffordgrad94
I feel you WTFan. I remember going to Spartanburg Phillies games at Duncan Park with my dad. Those games, along with watching the Braves with my dad on TV are a big part of how I grew to love the game of baseball. But then I also remember the park in a very delapidated condition complete with cobwebs in the restrooms when Wofford used it before King Field. We also had two summer league teams, the Crickets and the Stingers, play there. The Stingers left town at least in part because of the condition of Duncan Park. It was sad to see the park in such a condition. I am glad District 7 fixed the place up. It is a great home field for Spartanburg High School and I think it would be okay for JUCO/NAIA/D-2 baseball. But not for a D-1 tournament or a minor league ballclub (as it is too dated). Compare Duncan Park to Fluor Field. Ducan Park memories will always have a special place in my heart. But the SoCon tourney and minor league baseball need a better venue.

Re: Congrats to John Cornely - from Wofford to the Braves!

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 11:26 am
by walliver
woffordgrad94 wrote:I feel you WTFan. I remember going to Spartanburg Phillies games at Duncan Park with my dad. Those games, along with watching the Braves with my dad on TV are a big part of how I grew to love the game of baseball. But then I also remember the park in a very delapidated condition complete with cobwebs in the restrooms when Wofford used it before King Field. We also had two summer league teams, the Crickets and the Stingers, play there. The Stingers left town at least in part because of the condition of Duncan Park. It was sad to see the park in such a condition. I am glad District 7 fixed the place up. It is a great home field for Spartanburg High School and I think it would be okay for JUCO/NAIA/D-2 baseball. But not for a D-1 tournament or a minor league ballclub (as it is too dated). Compare Duncan Park to Fluor Field. Ducan Park memories will always have a special place in my heart. But the SoCon tourney and minor league baseball need a better venue.


Duncan Park is a relic of a long-gone age. It was at one time billed as the oldest park in the minor leagues. Unfortunately, the neighborhood has gone down-hill, and the field is down in a valley with poor air circulation and gets very hot in the summer. The park was old and run-down when I attended games in the 70's.

Re: Congrats to John Cornely - from Wofford to the Braves!

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2015 3:12 pm
by Ruckus
i have fond memories of Duncan Park. Played American Legion ball there and of course at WoCo some. We used to play in the Dumcan Park Classic v USCS and others.
While the old lady was well worn and past her prime, it was still special playing in a former and historic minor league park, Marlboro man sign in right center and all.

Re: Congrats to John Cornely - from Wofford to the Braves!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2015 5:50 pm
by WoCo NH Dude
John was assigned to the Portland Seadogs, the Red Sox AA team, a couple weeks ago so he would have a chance to pitch more frequently. (Learned this thru the parents of John's Terrier teammate/roommate who live nearby...) John is on the Red Sox 40 man active roster.

Through Friday, June 19:

ERA 3.38; G 4: IP 5.1; R2/ER2; BB 1; SO 6; HR 0; HBP 0

The Seadogs visit the NH Fishercats (Blue Jays' AA affiliate) Tu - Fri this week. I plan to catch Thurs or Fri's game in Manchester and help welcome John to New England.