New Golf Coach

Moderators: BestOfBreed, dungeonjoe

New Golf Coach

Postby lawdog on Thu May 11, 2017 3:02 pm

lawdog
True Terrier Fan

Re: New Golf Coach

Postby boulder3m on Thu May 11, 2017 7:30 pm

Several good points about him. He has experience as a coach; he's a proven player; he is young. These days the recruiting is very tough, with the Carolinas having a lot of D1 schools giving scholarships. All the kids think they can play for Wake or Clemson or whomever, but very few actually can make it. We have had some very good players come through Wofford, but it is hard to put together the TEAM that can be that good. For the past number of seasons we have had good players at the top, but we were weak in the 3,4,5 positions. In order to compete for the top of the SoCon and at the NCAA level we need a full complement of players. I have no idea how the scholarship money is distributed, but I think Men's golf in the NCAA is only allowed 4 1/2 scholarships. Doing volunteer work as a rules official in the Carolinas I see coaches at the junior tournaments and qualifiers working their tails off to get players. I understand William McGirt came to Wofford through Dan O'Connell's work as a Carolina's Golf official. Our new coach will have to be out there tramping the fairways during the summer and trying to find players who are somewhat hidden.
boulder3m
True Terrier Fan

Re: New Golf Coach

Postby Ruckus on Mon Jun 05, 2017 7:24 am

I hear very good things about him. He has coached and played at the highest level, has strong ties to the Carolinas (SC in particular), and as Boulder said he is young. Completely agree about the recruiting grind. As much as I like and respect Vic, the recruiting grind just wears you down.
I hear McGirt really likes the choice too which will be a plus for us.
Ruckus
True Terrier Fan

Return to Golf