Page 1 of 1

Elvis has left the building

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 10:13 am
by MerrierTerrier
I'm not sure if Elvis even showed up this year. Fought hard in the first half of the Chattanooga game but just couldn't maintain the effort. 5 games - we have won just 5 games out of 24 played so far. The players are better than this. They are every year but never seem to bring their "A" game consistently.

Re: Elvis has left the building

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 4:06 pm
by woffordgrad94
So what you are saying is that every year the players fail to play up to their potential. Does that not sound like there is a deficiency in the coaching staff? One thing that irks me about Wofford athletics is that they fail to make a coaching change when one is obviously needed.

Re: Elvis has left the building

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 4:51 pm
by Art Vandalay
woffordgrad94 wrote: One thing that irks me about Wofford athletics is that they fail to make a coaching change when one is obviously needed.


The one major exception to this was when Danny Morrison was AD and he did not renew Gilstrap's contract, instead, bringing Mike Ayers back to Wofford.

Re: Elvis has left the building

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 8:31 pm
by Eyes of Old Main
Failing to make changes out of loyalty cuts both ways.

I would have sworn we should have gotten rid of Mike Young immediately before the Dahlman years, and I was just about back tothat point until things turned around this year.

The underproduction may be due to a number of reasons, but I think it is safe to say that something needs to be considered in regards to women's basketball. Then again, who would we get that is any better? Budgetary constraints might leave us in the same place, or, we might make a great hire like Polson in men's soccer. Hard to tell.

Baseball is, of course, another prime candidate for this, but I'll let that drop for now as I am sure it is a topic that will be revisited in the next few months.

So, for now, I guess all we can do is wait, support the ladies, hope for the best and see what happens.

Re: Elvis has left the building

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 4:50 pm
by woffordgrad94
Art Vandalay wrote:
woffordgrad94 wrote: One thing that irks me about Wofford athletics is that they fail to make a coaching change when one is obviously needed.


The one major exception to this was when Danny Morrison was AD and he did not renew Gilstrap's contract, instead, bringing Mike Ayers back to Wofford.

Very true.

Re: Elvis has left the building

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 5:08 pm
by woffordgrad94
Eyes of Old Main wrote:Failing to make changes out of loyalty cuts both ways.

I would have sworn we should have gotten rid of Mike Young immediately before the Dahlman years, and I was just about back tothat point until things turned around this year.

The underproduction may be due to a number of reasons, but I think it is safe to say that something needs to be considered in regards to women's basketball. Then again, who would we get that is any better? Budgetary constraints might leave us in the same place, or, we might make a great hire like Polson in men's soccer. Hard to tell.

Baseball is, of course, another prime candidate for this, but I'll let that drop for now as I am sure it is a topic that will be revisited in the next few months.

So, for now, I guess all we can do is wait, support the ladies, hope for the best and see what happens.

Baseball, as we all know, is woefully underfunded. That is a big reason for their struggles. I don't think we have the right coach for baseball either, but I do concede that he has an uphill battle. Women's basketball, on the other had, should be fully funded due to Title IX because men's basketball is. And hadn't Farmer been the coach for about ten years now with absolutely no improvement? He has the same opportunities as Mike Young to make his program competitive, and he has failed miserably the way I see it. The Wofford ladies deserve better. Of course there is no guarantee that a coaching change would work, especially since we can't afford to pay as much as some other schools might. But we have to at least try. There are diamonds in the rough out there like Polson, Young, and Ayers and maybe we could find one. I don't know where we would find him/her, but maybe there,s a successful high school girls coach out there wanting a shot at college coaching who would fall in love with Wofford and be able to influence great recruits with that love and do an excellent job for us. Edgar has had his chance and it didn't work out. Time to give someone else who is willing to take on the challenge of building this program an opportunity. I know we are small and I don't expect a bunch of SoCon titles, but middle of the pack finishes along with some very good teams every 3-4 seasons should be obtainable in women's basketball with the right coach.