Women's Soccer Recruit Erika Bishop Article

Postby BestOfBreed on Thu Jun 15, 2006 1:03 pm

http://www.indexjournal.com/sports/20060614a_s.html

Representing the North

Emerald graduate Bishop set to play in Saturday’s North-South soccer game

June 14, 2006

By CHRIS TRAINOR
Index-Journal sports writer

Emerald graduate and Wofford College commitment Erika Bishop has been chosen to play Saturday in the North-South All-Star Soccer Game.
It is especially pleasing for an athlete who has worked for many years honing their skills in a specific sport to be honored for their effforts.
Greenwood’s Erika Bishop, a recent Emerald High School graduate, is being honored for excellence in her sport of choice, which is soccer.
Bishop has been chosen to play in Saturday’s North-South high school girls all-star soccer game. The contest is an annual event that pits the best players from the upperstate against the top performers in the lowerstate. The game is set for Saturday at Furman University in Greenville.
Bishop said she is thrilled to have been selected to play in the exhibition.
“It feels good to be honored like this,” Bishop said. “I came into this past season wanting to win a state championship (at Emerald). Obviously, that didn’t happen, which was tough. But this is a good consolation.”
Bishop will be reporting to Greenville Thursday for practice for the event and physicals. She said she will be participating in three practices with the North squad and will go through various drills and preparations for Saturday’s games.
Part of the reason the players are reporting early is a chance to get to know one another before Saturday’s event. Bishop said she is accustomed to meshing with different players.
“Between playing with CESA and playing in the Toros when I was younger I have gotten used to being teamed up with different players,” Bishop said. “I also played some ODP (Olympic Development Program) soccer in the past, which was kind of like an all-star event. I’m just looking forward to having fun and playing hard at the North-South.”
Besides participating in the North-South game and playing CESA club soccer, Bishop is preparing this summer to go to Wofford College in the fall.
She has signed to play for the Lady Terriers soccer team and has been busy with Wofford’s team mandated workout regimen.
“They sent me a summer package that lists the things for me to work on and focus on,” Bishop said. “There’s weight lifting, sprinting, distance running and some ball work.
“Between that and preparation for CESA regionals, it’s been a busy time.”
Bishop said the aforementioned regionals will take place in Little Rock, Ark. this year.
Bishop, who began playing at 9 years old, said she never imagined when she was younger that soccer would take her as many places and offer her as many opportunities as it has.
She also said the time she spent as a player at Emerald has been very beneficial to her playing career.
“I was able to learn how to play with a lot of different levels of players,” Bishop said. “It taught me how to be a better leader and to be able to work to achieve team goals. It also gave me the opportunity to play with my sister (Lady Vikings’ Alex Bishop), which I’ll always cherish.”
BestOfBreed
Site Admin

Return to Soccer