Men's SoCon Tourney

Men's SoCon Regular Season Champs - 2009
Men's SoCon Tournament Champs - 2009
Men's SoCon Regulat Season Champs 2013

Moderators: BestOfBreed, dungeonjoe

Men's SoCon Tourney

Postby WoCo NH Dude on Sun Nov 07, 2010 10:59 pm

Terriers lost 0-1 (in 2OT) to Furples - bummer!
WoCo NH Dude

Re: Men's SoCon Tourney

Postby lawdog on Mon Nov 08, 2010 9:51 am

We did not have the success this year many thought we would have. We lost many good players from last year's SoCon champs, but had many coming back too. We had a difficult time scoring goals this year, and that put added pressure on the defense, which too often eventually gave way. We have some excellent younger players coming back, and hopefully will have another strong recruiting class and relearn how to win the close ones...lost too many of those this year. Will need more leadership to step forward next year. Our program is still far above where is was 4-5 years ago, when we routinely got routed. We are now a threat to win every match we play.
lawdog
True Terrier Fan

Postby oldterrier on Wed Jan 05, 2011 11:15 am

Why would anyone this that this year's team would be good? They lost too many quality players, especially in the backline/keeper positions. We'll see how it goes with the recruiting class of 2011. Kern and Mauran certainly knew how and who to recruit. Their players won the SoCon championship and were again heavily relied upon this past season. I hope that Polson and Slagle can follow in their footsteps. Two recruiting classes so far and nothing really to show for it. The top 4 points leaders this season were all recruited by the former coaches. Unless Polson and Slagle can get kids in and develop them, it could be another dark time for the Terriers.
oldterrier

Postby lawdog on Wed Jan 05, 2011 5:58 pm

OT, by all accounts the work ethic and morale in the program are on very solid footing, and we have apparently had two good recruiting years. I look for us to be better next year and future years. Don't understand your doom and gloom.

There was some experience and talent on the team this year; the W-L record did not reflect it. They lost many close games against some top competition. I did notice they may have lost a good player or two during the year, including the one with the card problem against Navy. Do you have details?
lawdog
True Terrier Fan

Postby oldT-Dog on Sun Jan 23, 2011 9:42 am

I would say it depends on your definition of "good", and what your expectations are for the program. They lost a lot of close games including a 2-1 OT loss to UNC, a final 4 team that had 4 players go in the MLS draft. Most of them last year were Kern's players, but it was RP who was coaching them, and who changed the style of play. I expected a drop off from last year. You can't lose 3 of 4 on the back line (1 an All-American) and the starting GK and expect a repeat performance. Top teams in the SoCon have down years. Look at Furman over the past couple of seasons. Furthermore, look at our own football team.

These boys will bounce back and be competitive. I have a feeling RP and his staff are just getting started and I fully support the direction of the program. I hope more alumni out there, specifically soccer alumni will do the same with their well wishes and their wallets! When that happens and we have more scholarships, my expectations will change.
oldT-Dog
True Terrier Fan

Postby lawdog on Tue Jan 25, 2011 8:10 pm

OTD, you probably have better info than I. My impression is that we have recruited very well the last two years; what is your take on that?
lawdog
True Terrier Fan

Postby oldT-Dog on Wed Jan 26, 2011 1:01 pm

Yes we have done a great job attracting players the last 2 years. Especially last year. On paper that class has to be the most impressive that has ever been recruited at Wofford (here is a link to the paper if you missed it - http://athletics.wofford.edu/news/2010/2/3/MSOC_0203104117.aspx?path=msoc), and that would include my class (LOL).

It will take a little time for these players to mature. As we saw in '09, most of the starting 11 were Jr and Sr. RP and his staff finished most of their recruiting for this year very early, I think some of that can be attributed to the success we had last year. In turn that has given them a head start for next year. RP has a record as a competitor everywhere he's been and I think these boys are not far off.

However, just like every other sport at WoCo outside of football (and I'm not knocking football and their outstanding record over the past 10 yrs.), soccer competes in D1, not D1-AA. Given the dollars we have in the program, 2009 was quite an accomplishment. My expectations for us in the near term is to continue our competitive progress, I don't think RP will stand for anything less, but there are fully funded programs like Furman and C of C who have down years so lets set our expectations accordingly.

I look forward to seeing the news next week on who we have coming in!
oldT-Dog
True Terrier Fan

Return to Soccer