Article on new Terrier Martin Padgett

Postby BestOfBreed on Thu Feb 08, 2007 10:49 pm

From The Times and Democrat

http://www.thetandd.com/articles/2007/0 ... 924115.txt

Red Raiders’ Padgett ready to make an impact

By MINNIE MILLER
T&D Correspondent
Thursday, February 08, 2007

BAMBERG – Bamberg-Ehrhardt senior Martin Padgett officially signed to play football for with the Wofford College Terriers Wednesday. The 6-foot, 3-inch, 255-pound offensive tackle has received a full, five-year athletic scholarship and is guaranteed a spot on the Terriers team for the 2007-2008 season.

Padgett signed as a large group of family, friends, teammates and coaches looked on.

“I credit everybody here,” Padgett said. “my family, teammates, coaches, teachers and staff, for supporting me. I’m a product of this school and Coach (Ron) Duncan, and I realize how fortunate I am to have a coaching staff like this that helped me.”

B-E head football coach Ron Duncan said Padgett has what it takes and will be a real asset to the Wofford team.

“We’re certainly proud of Martin and his accomplishments,” Duncan said. “To get to this point, you’ve got to have size, speed, the grades and the talent. Martin has it all.”

“All of you senior football players like Martin were eighth-graders or freshmen when I first came here,” Duncan told Red Raider team members, “and you’ve all been key in turning this program around. I’ll always be indebted to you guys.”

Padgett started as a center his sophomore year and played tackle his junior year. His senior season he played left tackle and defensive line. He is credited with helping lead the Bamberg-Ehrhardt Red Raiders to their first undefeated regular season and region championship in 17 years.

“I believe, like my father says, that nothing worth having comes easy,” Padgett said.

Padgett made a commitment to the Terriers in January after visiting the campus.

“I chose Wofford because of my first encounter with head coach Mike Ayers,” Padgett said. “His passion for the game, even off the field, just got to me. I also really like the small campus. It makes me feel at home.”

Padgett will be majoring in business economics and is looking at possibly going into real estate. He is the son of Dr. Dale and Linda Padgett of Bamberg.

Dr. Padgett, said he’s excited for his son.

“I’m excited for him to have earned a full scholarship,” he said. “I’m looking forward to going to his college football games. Wofford will be playing N.C. State this season, and I’m particularly excited about that game.”

Padgett is not sure when he will head for the Terriers’ campus. Attending summer session and getting a jump on his academics is one possibility, but a date for new recruits to report to Wofford has not yet been announced.

“I’m very excited about my decision and anxious to get up there and get things rolling,” Padgett said.

T&D Correspondent Minnie Miller can be reached by writing to her at 138 Nature’s Trail, Bamberg, SC 29003. Discuss this and other stories online at TheTandD.com.
BestOfBreed
Site Admin

Return to Football