Samford Game

Southern Conference Champions - 2003, 2007, 2010, 2012, 2017, 2018, 2019
FCS Playoffs - 2003, 2007, 2008, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019
FCS Playoff Semifinalists - 2003
FCS Playoff Quarterfinalists- 2016, 2017

Moderators: BestOfBreed, dungeonjoe

Re: Samford Game

Postby Oak Grove on Mon Sep 16, 2019 9:49 pm

1. Lest we forget that running his gun-option system with this same group of players, WL averaged 30 points a game last season.

2. Lest we also forget that over the last thirty years, Wofford has fielded no more than a handful of good defenses. The rest were quite average, or worse.

3. Pairing a zone-read offense (like nearly every team in America runs these days) with this seaon's middling defense spells big trouble. Without the TO, we have lost our competitive edge.

4. I sure never thought I would see MA's legacy dismantled so quickly by someone "with the Wofford DNA," as RJ said of JC.
Last edited by Oak Grove on Mon Sep 16, 2019 11:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Oak Grove
True Terrier Fan

Postby Eyes of Old Main on Tue Sep 17, 2019 12:55 am

Oak Grove wrote:4. I sure never thought I would see MA's legacy dismantled so quickly by someone "with the Wofford DNA," as RJ said of JC.

Which strand of Wofford DNA is the question. I believe you are seeing administration's new vision take shape and I have thought part of that was to change directions all along. This could very well be a natural progression, but it could also be a plan to erase certain fingerprints in favor of consolidated authority for some. We shall see how the rest of the season goes and also how basketball season goes. Hopefully I am wrong, but we could see what amounts to a statement that no coach was, is or will be bigger than administration. I don't know anything to back that statement up, but I have significant professional experience with "office intrigue" and I have a pretty good sense of when it is at play. Time will tell...
SoCon Champs '03 '07 '10 '12 '17 '18 '19
FCS Playoffs '03 '07 '08 '10 '11 '12 '16 '17 '18 '19
FCS Semifinals '03
D-II Playoffs '90 '91
NAIA Finals '70
SC Little 4 Champs '48 '49 '50 '51 '52 '54 '56 '57 '61 '62 '63 '64
Cigar Bowl Participant '50
Eyes of Old Main
True Terrier Fan

Postby youngterrier on Tue Sep 17, 2019 8:42 am

Oak Grove wrote:1. Lest we forget that running his gun-option system with this same group of players, WL averaged 30 points a game last season.

2. Lest we also forget that over the last thirty years, Wofford has fielded no more than a handful of good defenses. The rest were quite average, or worse.

3. Pairing a zone-read offense (like nearly every team in America runs these days) with this seaon's middling defense spells big trouble. Without the TO, we have lost our competitive edge.

4. I sure never thought I would see MA's legacy dismantled so quickly by someone "with the Wofford DNA," as RJ said of JC.

1) Let's not pretend the gun option was spectacular all the time. It was terrible from 2011 to 2017. It also failed to score 20 points consistently against our best competition last year.

2) Citation needed. Our defenses have been stellar over the last few years. The reason why our defenses weren't great before was because we ran just zone coverage. Nowadays we run multiple sets and the offense has to think twice when calling plays. We finished at the top in total, rushing, and passing defense last year for the first time ever and we have Conklin and Siefkis to thank for that. We are missing two of our strongest DL this year and are having a hard time getting pressure as a result. Our coverage wasn't bad against Samford, we just couldn't stop the run with our personnel.

3) This is what I call "rat dog mentality." The idea that we can't be competitive unless we run the triple option. It says our players suck and don't have the ability to do the minimum of what other programs would ask them. Whenever anyone asserts that we NEED the triple option to be competitive, you're basically saying it was all Mike Ayers for 30 years and the hard work, sweat, and blood of the athletes had nothing to do with it. That selling our players short in a way that's outrageous.

4) It's two games. We're running a new system. We will get better.

I'm obviously one of the more critical people on this board, but I still think it's outrageous that some people are using the term "Gilstrapped" (reference to Ayers' predecessor) to refer to what's happening. It's dumb. People are freaking out and throwing out the baby with the bath water.
Study hard, Work Hard, Party Hard, Go Terriers!
youngterrier
True Terrier Fan

Previous

Return to Football