Southern Conference Champions - 2003, 2007, 2010, 2012, 2017, 2018
FCS Playoffs - 2003, 2007, 2008, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2016, 2017. 2018
FCS Playoff Semifinalists - 2003
FCS Playoff Quarterfinalists- 2016, 2017

Moderators: BestOfBreed, dungeonjoe

2018 FCS Playoffs

Postby SmallTownTerrier on Sun Nov 04, 2018 12:20 pm

http://www.collegesportsmadness.com/fcs ... acketology

Here is a projected bracket as of this morning (November 4)... I think these guys have a pretty good grip on it... I enjoy seeing basic ongoings Haley and MacLaughlin provide for us, but as far as projections are concerned, I don’t feel they are as reliable as this one.
SmallTownTerrier
True Terrier Fan

Re: 2018 FCS Playoffs

Postby boulder3m on Sun Nov 04, 2018 1:22 pm

For us that would be a best case scenario. Home game against Towson on Thanksgiving weekend would be great. However, we play a WCU team that flings it around just like Samford, and they have played a lot of teams very well. It will not be an easy win.
boulder3m
True Terrier Fan

Postby walliver on Mon Nov 05, 2018 9:59 am

If we win out we should be in good shape, although no chance for a bye.
Our OOC schedule is weak, but none of the major SoCon contenders have a better resume.
Sammy's OOC consists of a P5 loss, a FCS loss and a D2 win; i.e. no OOC D-1 wins. So far, we are their marquee win.
FU will only play 10 games due to Colgate's wimpiness about Hurricane Florence. They are 0-2 OOC with a loss to Clemson and a big loss to Elon. Their marquee win is against us.
ETSU's OOC consists of a D2 win, a P5 loss and an FCS win over Gardner-Webb. So far, their marquee win is over FU.

On the other hand, a 9-3 Terrier teams was once left out.
walliver
True Terrier Fan

Postby boulder3m on Mon Nov 05, 2018 11:23 am

We have been frustrated with Craig Haley's obvious dismissal of Wofford. Actually he has been pretty dismissive of the whole SoCon. I reluctantly have come to accept that he is probably right. Until last weekend I had thought we probably were much better than he thought, and that the Socon was actually pretty strong. I have concluded that we have probably 5 teams capable of playing well on any Saturday, but who are relatively mediocre the majority of the time. The only advantage the Socon has is that the TO teams bring something other teams haven't seen; and that Samford is brutal on teams that can't defend the pass.
boulder3m
True Terrier Fan

Postby youngterrier on Mon Nov 05, 2018 12:31 pm

For what it's worth, that's a favorable bracket for us.

Honestly, I think if we get stuck in the Southeast for our bracket, we have a better chance of making a run just because of the style of play of most teams down here.
Study hard, Work Hard, Party Hard, Go Terriers!
youngterrier
True Terrier Fan

Postby WoCo65 on Mon Nov 05, 2018 5:02 pm

by youngterrier on Mon Nov 05, 2018 12:31 pm

For what it's worth, that's a favorable bracket for us.

I agree. If we can get handle Towson, I'd love to slap around Elon once again and then get our hands around KSU.
WoCo65
True Terrier Fan

Postby youngterrier on Mon Nov 05, 2018 5:18 pm

Also FWIW, after glancing around the FCS standings, I think Wofford gets in at 8-3. There will probably be no more than 10 at-large teams in strong conferences (even if you apply that term liberally to the Big South, OVC, and Southland) with 8 wins.

I don't think we're good enough to win a championship this year. But I think we'll compete for one, and that's good for the first year of a new coach.
youngterrier
True Terrier Fan

Postby boulder3m on Mon Nov 05, 2018 6:31 pm

We are #15 in today's poll.
boulder3m
True Terrier Fan

Postby WocoSix on Mon Nov 05, 2018 9:10 pm

YT states... "I don't think we're good enough to win a championship this year."

I disagree if a championship is to come threw Sparkle City, this years team would be the one to do it. Last years defensive personel was the better defensively but no balanced offense. Offensively Evan Jacks senior year barring his injury would have been the best offensively but not as good of a defense. This years team is balanced on both sides of the ball. Another differencce is the coaching staff, which I think is better than last years. Although we have some great influx of Freshman in this cycle, we may have several NFL talents in this years graduating class we would loose. If we can get the team to counter balance (offense Scores when defense cant hold opponents; Defense prevents scores when Offense struggles) in the playoffs I think we can compete with any FCS team.

Side Note... Last I heard a torn bicep takes 3 months recovery. Could we see Mikel Horton in the playoffs? Have we been saving Stoddard's 20+ carries for the playoff run? Is the 20 man rotation on offense and defense to create depth while saving primary players to keep starters fresh?
WocoSix
True Terrier Fan

Postby youngterrier on Mon Nov 05, 2018 9:19 pm

I have no idea. I imagine Horton would sacrifice his redshirt if we made it to Frisco.

I'm more optimistic about the future of the program, provided we continue to improve. We lose less going into next year than we did going into this year. I know Brown is a possible NFL talent as is some of our secondary, but I think the shortcomings of this year has a lot to do with youth and breaking into a new system.

I'd love to be wrong, but I don't think we have it all together to make it past the quarter finals this year. Then again, something could click (as it sometimes happens with young-ish teams going into the play offs) and we start playing at a higher level.

I think there are some teams that stick out in Wofford football history. At this moment, this one doesn't seem like it. But that can change in the playoffs. I'm just optimistic that it will unless something clicks.
youngterrier
True Terrier Fan

Postby Eyes of Old Main on Tue Nov 06, 2018 2:12 am

If Wofford wins out then they are in. From there, all the teams are good and we would just have to see how it pans out. It is hard to be disappointed in a season that we enter our last SoCon game with a chance to snag a share of the crown (albeit needing help) and controlling our playoff destiny. I know we hoped for more, but 8-3 is a good result. That being said, if we go to Cullowhee and get lit up, then the offseason starts early with a bunch of question marks.
SoCon Champs '03 '07 '10 '12 '17 '18
FCS Playoffs '03 '07 '08 '10 '11 '12 '16 '17 '18
FCS Semifinals '03
D-II Playoffs '90 '91
NAIA Finals '70
SC Little 4 Champs '48 '49 '50 '51 '52 '54 '56 '57 '61 '62 '63 '64
Cigar Bowl Participant '50
Eyes of Old Main
True Terrier Fan

Postby walliver on Tue Nov 06, 2018 10:30 am

We all know our defensive weakness for the last 15 years hasn't changed. I'm hoping Conklin will change that, but it will mean a change in recruiting philosophy and JC came in too late to change that for last year's class.
Nevertheless we have a chance to finish 8-3 and if we do so will play on Thanksgiving weekend. But, the defense needs to step up this week and the offense needs to be consistent and put TD's on the board. I can also assure you that PC will give us their best game of the year, and let's face it, we haven't blown out the Hose the way we should have for years.

Can we go fay in the playoffs? I have little doubt about that, but it needs the right draw. If we face a pass-happy team with a decent defense in the first round we are in trouble, but can get by run-oriented teams.
walliver
True Terrier Fan

Postby WocoSix on Tue Nov 06, 2018 1:17 pm

Football
Championship Determination Tie-breaking Procedures: The Southern Conference champion shall be
the team that finishes with the best won-loss percentage in Conference games during the regular
season. In the case that two or more schools finish with identical won-loss records, they shall be
declared co-champions.

NCAA Automatic Bid Tie-breaking Procedures: The Conference champion shall be awarded an
automatic bid to the NCAA FCS Playoffs, provided it is eligible to compete in the post-season under
NCAA guidelines. In the event that co-champions are declared, the automatic bid will be awarded as
follows:
A. In the case of a two-way tie, the automatic bid will be awarded to the winner of the game
between the tied teams during the regular season;
B. In the event of a three-way tie, the won-loss records of the tied teams against each other is first
considered (i.e., head to head concept). If the teams are still tied, then each team’s record
against the highest seeded team not involved in the tie is considered. If the tie is still not broken,
the teams’ won-loss record against the next highest seeded team not involved in the tie is
considered and so on down the line until the tie is broken. If the tie is still not broken, the team
with the fewest points allowed among the tied teams shall be considered. If this does not
resolve the tie, then the automatic bid will be determined by a random draw conducted by the
Commissioner;
C. In the event of multiple ties after a three-way tie, the same procedure as used to break a three-
way tie will be applied until the tie is broken.

Wofford's BEST case scenario for SoCon Champion ...
1.Wofford WIN vs Western Carolina
2.Samford LOST vs Citadel and Samford WIN vs ETSU

Wofford's BEST case scenario for SoCon Co-Champion ...
1.Wofford WIN vs Western Carolina
2.Samford WIN vs Citadel and Samford WIN vs ETSU

*Playoff wise the only way I do NOT see Wofford making the playoffs is a LOST to Western or PC. Wofford is currently the highest ranked (#14) SoCon team. If we WIN out and there is a 3 way tie (ETSU,WOF,SAM) Samford would get the Auto Bid and WOF would be higher of the second SoCon team taken.

*Here is breakdown if its a 4 way tie for the Auto Bid - Samford would get auto bid and Wofford would be highest SoCon with Furman ineligible (only 6 wins) and ETSU losing to Wofford Head to Head
ETSU - FUR (W), SAM(L), WOF(L)
FUR - ETSU(L), SAM(L), WOF(W)
SAM - ETSU(W), WOF(W), FUR (W)
WOF - ETSU(W), FUR(L), SAM(L)
WocoSix
True Terrier Fan

Postby boulder3m on Sat Nov 10, 2018 8:16 pm

OK Six, so what now? Sammy lost to Citadel, but plays ETSU next weekend. For us to have a chance I would think Sammy has to win. Then, if Furman wins and we beat PC there is a three way tie between Furman, ETSU and Wofford, who all beat each other. Is it then determined by the fourth place team and how each team did against them? If that's Sammy we are in the dumper. However, we are ranked right now 14th with an Ivy team above us. E-Loan lost; the #11 and #12 teams played each other. Cal Davis was #4, but lost to #5 Eastern Washington (with the red field?) I don't think another team ranked above us lost. This makes my ears hurt. I just re-read your post and in case of the three way tie it is the record against the next highest team-SAMFORD (I think). I suppose the best news is that ETSU plays Sammy next Saturday, but if they win they are #1 and if they lose they are tied, but we lose the autobid because of Sammy. I'm feeling like an infomercial; BUT WAIT THERE"S MORE! Furman has to play Mercer, which has 3 losses. So if Mercer and Samford were to lose I think we get the outbid, correct?
I will say this, though. The Samford fans have to be the most disappointed in the league.
boulder3m
True Terrier Fan

Postby youngterrier on Sat Nov 10, 2018 8:45 pm

Here's the deal: if Samford wins and Mercer scores 17 against Furman, we get the autobid

That's the TL;DR version that AGS thinks is the case.

All we have to do is win Saturday and we are in. No autobid necessary.

So basically, root for Mercer to score 17+ and Samford to win.
youngterrier
True Terrier Fan

Next

Return to Football