Samford: Socon championship game part 1

Southern Conference Champions - 2003, 2007, 2010, 2012, 2017, 2018
FCS Playoffs - 2003, 2007, 2008, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2016, 2017. 2018
FCS Playoff Semifinalists - 2003
FCS Playoff Quarterfinalists- 2016, 2017

Moderators: BestOfBreed, dungeonjoe

Re: Samford: Socon championship game part 1

Postby lawdog on Sat Nov 03, 2018 6:19 pm

boulder3m wrote:I don't think our OL is strong enough to block them. Their D line lived in our backfield all day. My frustration is that we don't know how to make the adjustments to stop the defensive plan. Lang has always had that problem, IMO. It looks to me as if their plan was to use their defensive ends to hold position and not chase. Since we couldn't block them successfully, I think the remedy was to run the option deeper to allow the read. That also would set up other misdirection off the option.

Agree. We could not execute our run game against them. Period. We could not move them, and our option decision making was not sharp.
lawdog
True Terrier Fan

Postby BubbaDog on Sat Nov 03, 2018 6:20 pm

It's just so frustrating because it's always the same issue. If a team can complete passes, then they'll move down the field with ease. I think we can still make the playoffs, but we know we can't win more than one game there.
BubbaDog
2012 Pickem Champ

Postby boulder3m on Sat Nov 03, 2018 6:28 pm

Our defense was made to stop the running game predominant in the SoCon. We gave up stopping the run and Samford became our nemesis. With the new recruiting perhaps we will have a defensive secondary that will be able to handle the pass. It is very disappointing that as good as our defense has been, we can't stop the pass. WCU is going to fling it around next week and it could be ugly also.
boulder3m
True Terrier Fan

Postby youngterrier on Sat Nov 03, 2018 6:49 pm

how do we dominate the time of possession for an entire quarter and only get 3 points out of it?

Ask Wade Lang.
Study hard, Work Hard, Party Hard, Go Terriers!
youngterrier
True Terrier Fan

Postby mudrat43 on Sat Nov 03, 2018 8:02 pm

To say this game was a disappointment would be a drastic understatement. The bane of WOF for as long as I've been a fan (5years) is pass defense. They just don't have it. And it wasn't just the dink and dunk of some games; Sammy threw it short, long, and everywhere in between. The Terriers HAVE to get better. And like someone said before, that game looked just plain disjointed from the get go. This one stings!.....Go Terriers!
mudrat43
True Terrier Fan

Postby lawdog on Sat Nov 03, 2018 8:04 pm

We got beat by a team, at its place, which is improving as the season has progressed. They have talent and outplayed us today. Hodges is the real deal. Need to win our last two for sure; if we do, odds are great we are in the playoffs.

Newman needs to break out more; don't know whether he is dinged up or other teams are just flat focusing on him.
Last edited by lawdog on Sat Nov 03, 2018 10:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
lawdog
True Terrier Fan

Postby youngterrier on Sat Nov 03, 2018 8:13 pm

I don't feel like we have improved that much this year. I thought we did but today proved me wrong
youngterrier
True Terrier Fan

Postby lawdog on Sat Nov 03, 2018 8:27 pm

Perhaps, but after replacing a legend and almost the entire rest of the staff, and having lost some good talent and experience last year and to injury this year, 8-3 would not be much of a drop-off either. We need to focus on the last two games. These Dogs can still bite!
lawdog
True Terrier Fan

Postby woffordgrad94 on Sun Nov 04, 2018 6:31 am

At the risk of sounding smug, I will just say that I knew this was going to happen. I could see it coming from a mile away. Based mainly on Samford’s previous results against us, their having two weeks to prep for us just like Furman, and the fact that we had to go to Alabama. We are just not a great football team right now, definitely not a championship contender, The Southern Conference is not all that strong right now and I’m not sure we deserving of a playoff spot with an 8-3 record just because we can beat bad teams by large margins and beat OK teams at home. The question is are we one of the top 24 teams in FCS? I’m not sure that we are right now. We will be firmly on the bubble (assuming we beat WCU and PC of course). But I know we have to accept the fact that we are who we are because Wade Lang isn’t likely to change, and we know he’ll never be shown the door.
woffordgrad94
True Terrier Fan

Postby SmallTownTerrier on Sun Nov 04, 2018 8:15 am

Losses by McNeese, Central Arkansas, Towson, ILL State and Sam Houston St all helped our cause. If Samford would stumble in Chucktown then beat ETSU and Furman would lose one, we get the auto bid... I can’t see Samford losing another though, although I could see Furman dropping one... At 8-3, I think we are in with a road game somewhere.
SmallTownTerrier
True Terrier Fan

Postby woffordgrad94 on Sun Nov 04, 2018 9:11 am

It helps our cause that the top team in the MEAC and the Ivy League do not do the playoffs.
woffordgrad94
True Terrier Fan

Postby lawdog on Sun Nov 04, 2018 10:24 am

woffordgrad94 wrote:At the risk of sounding smug, I will just say that I knew this was going to happen. I could see it coming from a mile away. Based mainly on Samford’s previous results against us, their having two weeks to prep for us just like Furman, and the fact that we had to go to Alabama. We are just not a great football team right now, definitely not a championship contender, The Southern Conference is not all that strong right now and I’m not sure we deserving of a playoff spot with an 8-3 record just because we can beat bad teams by large margins and beat OK teams at home. The question is are we one of the top 24 teams in FCS? I’m not sure that we are right now. We will be firmly on the bubble (assuming we beat WCU and PC of course). But I know we have to accept the fact that we are who we are because Wade Lang isn’t likely to change, and we know he’ll never be shown the door.

WG 94, good point about Samford having two weeks to prep for us; that is a huge advantage in college football. Their run D showed it. However, gotta say we are without a doubt one of the better teams in FCS. Can’t blame problems on Lang - where is the creative play or two that he used to save our fannies at least twice last year?! E.g., why not a play or two with both QBs in the same backfield?
lawdog
True Terrier Fan

Postby youngterrier on Sun Nov 04, 2018 12:26 pm

Gonna push back on Lang: when was the last time we won a shootout?

Samford doesn't have an elite defense. It shouldn't be easy to score on them, but if your offense is top tier, 30 points is achievable. Having a 10+ TOP advantage and only scoring 20 points is a disgrace. Maybe it doesn't translate to a win against a quick pace team like Samford. But it should translate to more points.
youngterrier
True Terrier Fan

Postby walliver on Mon Nov 05, 2018 10:32 am

boulder3m wrote:I don't think our OL is strong enough to block them. Their D line lived in our backfield all day. My frustration is that we don't know how to make the adjustments to stop the defensive plan. Lang has always had that problem, IMO. It looks to me as if their plan was to use their defensive ends to hold position and not chase. Since we couldn't block them successfully, I think the remedy was to run the option deeper to allow the read. That also would set up other misdirection off the option.

Actually, at one time WL was great at making adjustments, but hasn't been able to do that for the last decade or so.

MM does a better job of running the pure option, but for the last two years, many of us have made the same argument for giving Joe Newman more playing time. Does JN have a nagging injury or has our offensive scheme changed when he is in the game. We all know that JN is a playmaker and can make the option work. Defenses may be keying on JN, but wouldn't they run the same defense when MM is on the field.

I expected possible difficulties with a new defensive staff, but on offense, almost all the coaches returned ... with one glaring exception. But this year's offense at times seems uninspired. Defenses are overpersuing but we rarely run counters or reverses. It's already November but we still seem to be running our early season plain vanilla offense.
walliver
True Terrier Fan

Postby boulder3m on Mon Nov 05, 2018 11:12 am

It's hard for me not to compare the Panthers offensive changes to our situation. The Panthers were so predictable before this season, and then suddenly week before last everything changed. When faced with a quick and very good defense the Panthers offensive staff chose to run misdirection plays that totally threw off the Ravens defense. We have arguably the fastest backs in Wofford history. When teams choose to string out our option let's run some misdirection and move the ball to the opposite side of the field. If our offensive line is having trouble blocking the opposition let's help them out a little. It seems so logical and reasonable, and that's why it is so frustrating.
boulder3m
True Terrier Fan

PreviousNext

Return to Football