Mercer

Southern Conference Champions - 2003, 2007, 2010, 2012, 2017
FCS Playoffs - 2003, 2007, 2008, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2016
FCS Playoff Semifinalists - 2003
FCS Playoff Quarterfinalists- 2016, 2017

Moderators: BestOfBreed, dungeonjoe

Mercer

Postby youngterrier on Sun Oct 21, 2018 3:57 pm

We have to be on our guard for this one, especially on defense. Mercer is going to challenge our defense, much like Furman.

So far, we have done a good job of shutting down one dimensional offenses (ETSU, chatt, VMI, citadel), but balanced offenses are our kryptonite, going back to NDSU last year.

The next 3 offenses we play will be the toughest of the schedule, on par with Furman when their senior QB was in.
Study hard, Work Hard, Party Hard, Go Terriers!
youngterrier
True Terrier Fan

Re: Mercer

Postby boulder3m on Sun Oct 21, 2018 4:58 pm

Agreed. To overlook Mercer for Samford is the kiss of death. These guys have shown they are real and we know how Lamb plays Wofford. They would love nothing more than to knock us off.
boulder3m
True Terrier Fan

Postby Retiredterrier on Sun Oct 21, 2018 8:17 pm

Before the season started the team that scared me the most was not Sammy but Mercer. And I was not even thinking of their new QB who seems more effective than the big QB. So with the new QB they are probably better than I expected. However I noticed that Reilly the big guy is playing now. Although I don't know if they are just swapping in and out their QBs or if the other guy is hurt. Hope he is not hurt. Do not want anybody to get hurt even if it helps the Terriers. Mercer might have more speed than any other team in the SoCon. Go Terriers !!!
Retiredterrier
True Terrier Fan

Postby youngterrier on Sun Oct 21, 2018 8:25 pm

The new guy, Riddle, got hurt a month ago and is likely out for the season
youngterrier
True Terrier Fan

Postby Retiredterrier on Sun Oct 21, 2018 8:51 pm

Thanks YT. Riddle of what I have seen although not a lot looks similar to Hodges. He seems cool headed, a good passer as well as a good scrambler. Hence a real headache for opposing teams D. But the big guy is still effective - good passer, relatively cool headed but as I recall not as good at scrambling as Riddle. But still Mercer is very dangerous and the Terriers cannot overlook them. It should be an exciting game. Go Terriers !!!!!
Retiredterrier
True Terrier Fan

Postby lawdog on Mon Oct 22, 2018 12:09 pm

Mercer is 4-4 with losses to Ga Tech and Memphis, and a close loss to Cid. They have beaten Samford and WCU. They have faced the option twice this season, and their coach is very familiar with us. We must be on our toes; this game is very losable.
lawdog
True Terrier Fan

Postby youngterrier on Mon Oct 22, 2018 12:47 pm

lawdog wrote:Mercer is 4-4 with losses to Ga Tech and Memphis, and a close loss to Cid. They have beaten Samford and WCU. They have faced the option twice this season, and their coach is very familiar with us. We must be on our toes; this game is very losable.

No, they are 4-3 with losses against the Citadel, Yale, and Memphis. They've only played the option once, and it wasn't pretty. They've beaten Jacksonville, Samford, Western Carolina, and VMI.

They will be a challenge, but they are beatable.
youngterrier
True Terrier Fan

Postby FUBeAR5467 on Mon Oct 22, 2018 3:30 pm

C’mon YT - you should know that Jacksonville runs the option. Their Staff has roots at Army & Lenoir-Rhyne, which spawned Mike Houston, Brent Thompson, and is the ‘parent’ of the flavor of option run by The Citadel. So, the correct answer is Mercer has faced the option 2x this season winning one & losing one.

Mercer held Jacksonville to under 200 yards rushing @ 3.8 yds/attempt and only gave up 15 yards passing on 1 completion.

Mercer’s game with The Citadel, much like Wofford’s game with the bellhops, went down to the wire, after a CIT comeback as Mercer held a 2 score lead until very late in the 3rd quarter. While CIT did rush for 308 yards / 5.2 attempt, the difference in the game was a KOR for a TD with under a minute to play. CIT was able to stay in the game by converting 3 of 4 4th down plays & with the timely & highly accurate passing (he does that in Macon for some reason) of Jordan Black, who rang up 167 yards & a TD for an average completion of over 33 yards. Of course the that’s ignoring the ‘other’ difference in the game - the OBVIOUS fumble, which Mercer recovered on the CIT 20 with 34 seconds left in the half, that was ruled ‘runner down’ on the field and not overturned on the replay review, which, OBVIOUSLY, showed the ball out before the runner was down. With Mercer leading 17-7 & the best RZ Scoring Stats in the SoCon, the correct call would have put the Bears up at least 20-7, but probably 24-7 at the half. Instead, CIT wisely treated the situation as a Turnover TO them (which it actually was, courtesy of the SoCon Refs) & went deep, completing a 77 yard TD pass to go into the half only down by 3...instead of down 17. That’s not to mention the other non-overturned review where the CIT RB OBVIOUSLY stepped out of bounds before reaching the endzone. But, hey, no replay in SparkleCity...so we’re all good (not).

Anyway, yeah, the bellhops gained some yards on the ground, but that wasn’t really the difference in the game. I don’t necessarily think either one of those games are as relevant for comparison purposes as they might appear though. The ‘flavor’ of option that Wofford runs is so different - much more diverse, much faster, much more intricate blocking schemes, and with a more diverse passing attack, it’s almost apples to oranges. The stuff WCU does on O, in some ways, stresses a D more similarly to how Wofford does than that of JaxU or CIT...and we saw how THAT went for the Bears D last Saturday!

Expecting a fun game though. If Riley plays with the confidence he’s played with since the 2nd quarter of the Yale game, I think Mercer can make a game of it. If not...it could ‘go ugly early’...which used to be a FUBeAR motto...but that’s another set of stories.
We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;
For he today that sheds his blood with me, shall be my brother.

FUBeAR5467
Junior Terrier

Postby youngterrier on Mon Oct 22, 2018 3:40 pm

Omitting the Memphis and Jacksonville games because they were against superior/inferior competition, one pattern sticks out is that Mercer has primarily played spread teams.

I don't know what kind of offense Yale runs, but Samford, VMI, and Western (all wins) have a lot in common. Mercer had success against all of the aforementioned teams (I don't know how good Yale is), and for at least the socon ones, they play not-the-best defense. At this point, I think it's a safe bet to say they are the best offense we've played this year (most comparable to Furman with Roberts) and we are the best defense they've played at the FCS level.

For that reason, I think the over/under is going to be in the 40s or low 50s, not the 60s. It's hard to predict how much Wofford will score in any given game, but I don't think we let them score 30 on us. Unless they repeat Furman.

I hope Luke Carter can kick in this one.
youngterrier
True Terrier Fan

Postby Retiredterrier on Mon Oct 22, 2018 4:37 pm

Retiredterrier
True Terrier Fan

Postby FUBeAR5467 on Mon Oct 22, 2018 4:42 pm

OK - so you’re pretending Mercer didn’t play an FCS Jacksonville Team that runs the option when you define the number of option Teams Mercer has faced, but you’re going to mention Jacksonville when you discuss Mercer’s wins & losses. You need to publish your analysis criteria for each factor along with each post, so I won’t make the mistake of trying to correct you again.

I hope you are eliminating Gardner Webb from any analytics you are conducting on Wofford’s season. They haven’t beaten a D1 Team in 2 years. Probably should take VMI out then, also, which will ‘wash’ for this game, I guess.

I’m losing your point so I’ll just ramble on a bit about Mercer’s D. I’m really baffled by the numbers they have given up this season. Lee Bennett, ILB & Kyle Williams, OLB were their only real losses. Both were excellent Players, but not CRAZY-good. Backfilling Williams with a GR-T from Miami U. seems to an upgrade as Bradley Earnest has started to be very productive in the past 3 weeks. Sidney Otiwu replaced Bennett & he’s an excellent young LB, but he had been out since the CIT game. Played some vs. WCU...but his backup, Michael Freeman has also been playing very well (MU DPOW vs.Yale). When I watch them play though, they are flying around, making big hits, solid tackling (except @ Memphis), etc. But they aren’t getting the turnovers they caused last year AND it seems they are often just shy of making the stop or making a play on the ball. I’m not really a D expert, but normally, I can assess what’s wrong. Haven’t been able to really define that with Mercer this season. Maybe, it’s the DL - they lost Penn, who was solid, but not spectacular, to graduation & Buehler has been banged up. I don’t think we’ll see him dressed this Sat. Not a lot of productivity from the DL in terms of stats, but I don’t think they have ever been. Not really the philosophy of their D. Maybe, you can watch some games & give me your thought (beyond the stats). Being serious, not sarcastic. They are just as fun to watch this year (except @ Memphis), but they sure have given up a lot of points & yards.

FUBeAR5467
Junior Terrier

Postby FUBeAR5467 on Mon Oct 22, 2018 4:48 pm

RB Morgan & PK/P both listed as starters.

Guess the injuries, that I read they sustained last week, were not too serious.

FUBeAR5467
Junior Terrier

Postby crabbyterrier on Mon Oct 22, 2018 5:21 pm

FUBeAR5467 wrote:RB Morgan & PK/P both listed as starters.

Guess the injuries, that I read they sustained last week, were not too serious.

Not sure. Wofford has a habit of not fully updating the two deep in game notes. Not sure if it's on purpose or not. They may still be out for the game.

GO TERRIERS!!!
If you can't pee with the BIG DOGS,
stay out of the tall grass!
crabbyterrier
True Terrier Fan

Postby youngterrier on Mon Oct 22, 2018 5:22 pm

Shanesy just tweeted that Carter has a high ankle sprain and Morgan has a knee injury that will need to be evaluated this week (which I assume means he's getting an MRI). Both out for at least this week.
youngterrier
True Terrier Fan

Postby lawdog on Mon Oct 22, 2018 5:30 pm

youngterrier wrote:
lawdog wrote:Mercer is 4-4 with losses to Ga Tech and Memphis, and a close loss to Cid. They have beaten Samford and WCU. They have faced the option twice this season, and their coach is very familiar with us. We must be on our toes; this game is very losable.

No, they are 4-3 with losses against the Citadel, Yale, and Memphis. They've only played the option once, and it wasn't pretty. They've beaten Jacksonville, Samford, Western Carolina, and VMI.

They will be a challenge, but they are beatable.

My bad on Mercer's record; I mistakenly picked up an earlier-season score against GT.

Yale is 4-2, 2-1 Ivy ... respectable team.

The takeaway is the same: though Mercer's O appears better than its D, it is a solid and dangerous team and we must be prepared.

I plan to make it down for the game. Crabby? Others?
Last edited by lawdog on Mon Oct 22, 2018 10:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.
lawdog
True Terrier Fan

Next

Return to Football