ETSU

Southern Conference Champions - 2003, 2007, 2010, 2012, 2017
FCS Playoffs - 2003, 2007, 2008, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2016
FCS Playoff Semifinalists - 2003
FCS Playoff Quarterfinalists- 2016, 2017

Moderators: BestOfBreed, dungeonjoe

Re: ETSU

Postby boulder3m on Sun Oct 21, 2018 11:49 am

After that opening debacle at home against A&T Jax St looked pretty vulnerable. McNeese St seemed shaky as well. I thought the Jackrabbits would be strong. Ill St seemed to be a contender. It will be interesting to see what the pollsters think. CAA and ND St seems to be all they think.
boulder3m
True Terrier Fan

Postby youngterrier on Sun Oct 21, 2018 12:40 pm

Any updates on Blake Morgan?
Study hard, Work Hard, Party Hard, Go Terriers!
youngterrier
True Terrier Fan

Postby SmallTownTerrier on Sun Oct 21, 2018 12:42 pm

A lot of parity throughout FCS... Fargo, JMU, E. Wash and Kennesaw Top 3 IMO... Up for grabs after that... Elon lost QB for year which hurts... We win out and we will have a first round bye... Sammy has two weeks to prepare for us... Will be a tough task down there... Ball control and limiting their possessions will be our best defense vs the pass vs Hodges... We will prolly have to score 28 to win in BHAM.
SmallTownTerrier
True Terrier Fan

Postby SmallTownTerrier on Sun Oct 21, 2018 12:43 pm

Haven’t heard anything on Morgan... I am assuming Lovelace is next man up if he can’t go Saturday.
SmallTownTerrier
True Terrier Fan

Postby youngterrier on Sun Oct 21, 2018 12:46 pm

Also I'm watching the replay of the game and I will defend Noble. He's new to the conference and it's his first year, so some gaffes are going to happen. He hasn't followed socon football for decades like many on here have. You also have to understand that ESPN+ has put him at a disadvantage in the sense he's calling the game for both the radio and the TV. Hauser probably didn't do TV until over 25 years of calling when ESPN did this. So that's why he's probably not up to where he probably wants to be. I like him.
youngterrier
True Terrier Fan

Postby youngterrier on Sun Oct 21, 2018 1:57 pm

Morgan looked like he hurt his knee on the replay. Like an MCL Maybe. Yikes.

This is not confirmed, just me speculating.
youngterrier
True Terrier Fan

Postby lawdog on Sun Oct 21, 2018 7:06 pm

IWF. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2BiCtmyQ8jQ

Good hustle, smart play for the most part. Mosley really helps change things up and Newman playing well.
lawdog
True Terrier Fan

Postby WocoSix on Sun Oct 21, 2018 8:54 pm

Analyzed the the replay of ETSU and my personal opinion is it was a mixed bag.

On the offensive side of the ball I was pleased to see more of Lennox touching the ball and a dose of Stoddard to keep the defense honest. The passing game was just enough to keep the defenses honest and prevented ETSU from overloading the box. And the OL did a good job of maintaining blocks and not giving up much penetration. Now on to the bad. The play calling and personnel used at times were questionable. Up 17-0 with less than 3 minutes we give up 10 points. If we are backed up to our own inch line and run QB sneak, why not put QB under center again after the penalty that put us back to the inch line. Instead we line up 4 yards deep in the end zone with a Freshman RB and give ETSU 7 points. Also noticed we have to do something with mixing up our snap counts. ETSU was timing the snaps and in our backfield majority of the game. Also note to self … scrap the swing pass to Vancleave. Rather see him on jet sweep or simple HB screen. As for the elephant in the room Miller Mosley. There is a saying in football, that everyone loves the back up QB. Haven't seen enough of Mosely to dethrone Newman, but personally I am impressed with "Miller-times" moxy and decision making. Miller seems to have better understanding of the timing and mechanics of the triple option.

Defensively we saw some huge changes from last week. ETSU has been giving up sacks and QB pressures all season long. Wofford's defense capitalized on it and we frequently saw press man and zone blitz schemes. Kudos to the secondary as they were directly responsible for the coverage sacks and QB scrambles. Miles and the rest of the DL were given a chance to show their skills due to the fact the QB couldn't find open WR's. The LB's did a better job of controlling backs out of the backfield and an even better job of disguising where pressure was coming from pre-snap. Pressure causes offensive mistakes and we saw it this weekend as the turnover count increased. Don't think we have had this many Fumbles, Sacks, INT's, Tackles for loss and QB hurries in one game in a few years. What still is a concern though is we still give up the big play on occasions and that we had some coverage breakdowns on under routes. Problem is Mercer and Samford base their success on these routes.
WocoSix
True Terrier Fan

Previous

Return to Football