GW This Week

Southern Conference Champions - 2003, 2007, 2010, 2012, 2017
FCS Playoffs - 2003, 2007, 2008, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2016
FCS Playoff Semifinalists - 2003
FCS Playoff Quarterfinalists- 2016, 2017

Moderators: BestOfBreed, dungeonjoe

Re: GW This Week

Postby Retiredterrier on Sun Sep 30, 2018 7:29 pm

Highlights. Wow !! I did not realize Weirick is so shifty !! I hope he is not hurt too bad. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=doxVUs1vaoI
Retiredterrier
True Terrier Fan

Postby WocoSix on Sun Sep 30, 2018 9:26 pm

Not much to say on this game. If there were any takeaways it would be the OL. Our OL absolutely manhandled the GW DL. If there are any postgame awards it should be given to the OL. I have seen some nice Wofford OL over the years but this could be the best coached and technically sound unit I've seen. If you get a chance to view the entire game, watch how GW DL started backing up further and further away from the line of scrimmage as the game progressed. I could have sworn I saw them lined up almost 2 yards off the ball pre snap towards the end of the game.

Defensively, we are seeing a nice progression of coaches Conklin and Siefkes installing their defense. As YT posted earlier our sack totals are increasing and we seem to be a bit more active on defense. Would like to see the turnovers increase a little more as we enter conference play. As well as sure up some things in the zone schemes.
WocoSix
True Terrier Fan

Postby boulder3m on Sun Sep 30, 2018 10:01 pm

A big thank you to whomever is charged with the TerrierVision highlights. It was done well-and quickly-this week. We left some points out there by turning it over and getting stopped inside the 5; but that's why our stats are so inflated as well. I know we are working on that pass defense from every standpoint, but still would like to see us progress. From here on out every team we face wil try to beat us with the pass.
Speaking of passing, we have speed we have never seen on this team. TJ Luther had a breakout game, but I think it will be just the beginning. Add his speed to that we already knew and we should be able to spread the field successfully. We have shown an offensive line that can get it done, and couple that with the skill players at every position (with depth) and I would think trying to defend Wofford will present a little challenge. NEXT!!!!
boulder3m
True Terrier Fan

Postby Retiredterrier on Sun Sep 30, 2018 10:28 pm

The entire game except for the first TD. I do not understand how they started the video after it https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WO8aqHFK5-0
Retiredterrier
True Terrier Fan

Postby youngterrier on Mon Oct 01, 2018 12:11 am

We are running some press coverage, I noticed that.

Part of the reason I'm more chill about pass defense compared to other people is that I run this thought experiment: how often do you hear about a non-option team completing less than 10 passes? How often do you hear about a non-option team averaging less than, say, 7 or 8 yards a completion? (I think the 8-15 yard zone is the weak spot in any defense).

The answer for both of those questions is "not often," and it's true even for teams like James Madison, North Dakota State, and even the FBS ranks with Clemson or Alabama.

Bottom line: 95% of the time, any team will get their licks in when it comes to those annoying passes, but as soon as they rely on it as a primary strategy, there are costs that most good teams aren't willing to take.

I know it's frustrating watching teams convert on third and 8 by passing it 9 yards up field. Our brains are wired to remember that more than the other QB's poor completion percentage. But at the end of the day, the stat column tells a better and more accurate story about general performance
Study hard, Work Hard, Party Hard, Go Terriers!
youngterrier
True Terrier Fan

Postby Terrier NH Dude on Mon Oct 01, 2018 6:12 am

Todd's story:

Stoddard, McAffee, et al:
http://www.goupstate.com/news/20180930/ ... rdner-webb
Terrier NH Dude
True Terrier Fan

Previous

Return to Football