GW This Week

Southern Conference Champions - 2003, 2007, 2010, 2012, 2017
FCS Playoffs - 2003, 2007, 2008, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2016
FCS Playoff Semifinalists - 2003
FCS Playoff Quarterfinalists- 2016, 2017

Moderators: BestOfBreed, dungeonjoe

Re: GW This Week

Postby boulder3m on Sat Sep 29, 2018 6:11 pm

Well, here we are again. No TV and very sporadic radio. Pitiful. Amelia Earhart had better transmission...
boulder3m
True Terrier Fan

Postby dungeonjoe on Sat Sep 29, 2018 6:16 pm

and espn is not working either.
"There are things that you value and things that you will fight for. That is what today's all about. We fight for that short-haired dog and that name across your chest." Mike Ayers
dungeonjoe
True Terrier Fan

Postby WoffordGradandDad on Sat Sep 29, 2018 6:23 pm

ESPN stream finally up; Wofford audio hard to follow.
WoffordGradandDad
Terrier Pup

Postby Retiredterrier on Sat Sep 29, 2018 6:29 pm

Audio is terrible.
Retiredterrier
True Terrier Fan

Postby boulder3m on Sat Sep 29, 2018 6:48 pm

Coming in broken and garbled. On occasion the cameraman has the play in the screen. Punts, not so much. Long passes, not at all.
boulder3m
True Terrier Fan

Postby boulder3m on Sat Sep 29, 2018 7:09 pm

They shouldn't have pissed us off. We just pounded it four straight times up the middle for 75 yards. It looked to me like we were trying to open up the playbook after getting up by 14. That was an "in your face" drive with big time running.
boulder3m
True Terrier Fan

Postby Terrier NH Dude on Sat Sep 29, 2018 7:09 pm

Different camera angles provide good or out of focus pics. Sound is garbled. And we get to pay for this...
Terrier NH Dude
True Terrier Fan

Postby boulder3m on Sat Sep 29, 2018 7:38 pm

At the half our stats are gaudy. We have tripled them in total yards with 333. I think we showed that we can gash them up the middle whenever we want. We still haven't shown the Joe Newman running that we know exists, and maybe they just don't want to get the QB's beat up before the conference play. Our passing game is still a little shaky, but we went downfield long once. Watching Stoddard run makes me marvel even more at the running of EB. When you get pounded on every play and still run for thousands of yards you are a true stud. It looks as if we are still working some magic on defense, although we got beat on that one drive. The pass defense needs to tighten up and show their stuff.
The game stats were just as gaudy. We rushed for just under 500 yards and passed for another 150. It was pretty much a blowout all the way.
boulder3m
True Terrier Fan

Postby woffordgrad94 on Sat Sep 29, 2018 9:04 pm

Great job taking care of business. We posted exactly the kind of butt whipping that we should have against this team. And since I personally have very little use for the G-W football program or G-W in general, I am very pleased...the more we beat them by the better.
woffordgrad94
True Terrier Fan

Postby youngterrier on Sat Sep 29, 2018 11:49 pm

We are good.
Study hard, Work Hard, Party Hard, Go Terriers!
youngterrier
True Terrier Fan

Postby crabbyterrier on Sun Sep 30, 2018 3:18 am

We looked pretty good tonight. I am still concerned about our pass D. Did not look good at times. We did run some nice blitz packages that were effective. Our run D was stingy! Only allowed 38yds total on ground! Looked like OL Ralph got dinged up a little and I hope Jimmy Werick’s knee injury isn’t too bad. He took a bad hit in last couple minutes. He was very upset banging his fist on wall beside training table. He was not happy.

We did what we should have done. Beat them handily.

Go Terriers!!!
If you can't pee with the BIG DOGS,
stay out of the tall grass!
crabbyterrier
True Terrier Fan

Postby Terrier13 on Sun Sep 30, 2018 10:56 am

It seems like there were some technical difficulties last night but does anyone have a link to the game? It's not showing up on ESPN+ to view a replay from what I've found.
Terrier13
True Terrier Fan

Postby youngterrier on Sun Sep 30, 2018 11:15 am

This game wasn't the only one with problem on ESPN+. It'll fix itself in the next 24 hours or so and eventually end up on YouTube.

As for our pass defense...I'll push back on that. I think everyone everywhere for every team looks at pass defense as a glass half empty kind of thing. No matter who you are playing, teams are going to get downfield completions of 10+ yards. It happens for every team except for maybe option teams who rarely pass it

I like the way we look on both sides of the ball. Granted, we haven't beaten anyone with a winning record, but we've won games the way we're supposed to if we are a playoff team.

We're in the top 10 in total offense and defense, and top 20 or so in many important statistics... including pass efficiency.

I like the looks we're seeing on defense: multiple packages, some press coverage, creative blitzing. Last year, through 13 games we had only 16 sacks (I blame the previous regime). This year, through 4 we have 10.

Right now, the only thing that can beat us is ourselves with turnovers. I hope we develop more DL depth with Horton out, but that doesn't seem to be a problem. Our offense hasn't been this good since Breteinstein graduated and even then we are definitely deeper and more talented at every skill position. You saw the second team OL go in in the third quarter as well.

We have a lot of depth on offense. Defensive depth in the front 7 will be pivotal for our success going forward.

For the first time in a long time I'm excited for the rest of the year and not just nervous that we will make it through the day (first time since like October 2012). Coach Conklin has an A+ rating from me so far.
youngterrier
True Terrier Fan

Postby WoCo65 on Sun Sep 30, 2018 11:39 am

Did I watch the same game you all did? Yeah, we won because we had better athletes but had we been playing Furman or Chatt tonight we would have had our butt handed to us. I thought we got sloppy at times on both side of the ball. Missed reads, tackles, etc. We better clean those up for this week because Chatt will be coming after our collective assess.
WoCo65
True Terrier Fan

Postby youngterrier on Sun Sep 30, 2018 12:04 pm

Mistakes happen in every game and we've had 2 of our best 3 yardage games in program history in the last month. There's lots to be happy about. Improvement is part of the game, but given how we struggled to put anyone away, rack up yardage on anyone or get sacks last year, there is a lot to be happy about in terms of improvement.
youngterrier
True Terrier Fan

PreviousNext

Return to Football