GW This Week

Southern Conference Champions - 2003, 2007, 2010, 2012, 2017, 2018
FCS Playoffs - 2003, 2007, 2008, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2016, 2017. 2018
FCS Playoff Semifinalists - 2003
FCS Playoff Quarterfinalists- 2016, 2017

Moderators: BestOfBreed, dungeonjoe

GW This Week

Postby boulder3m on Mon Sep 24, 2018 9:08 am

GW got totally crushed by App for the dollars this past weekend. However, we have had our "events" with them in the past. We had the ridiculous downpour game and 0-3 loss and the game at their place when the referees threw a PI flag on every play. Was that one in the rain as well-I know there was a game in pouring rain up there as well. Regardless, GW would like nothing better than to knock us off at their place.
boulder3m
True Terrier Fan

Re: GW This Week

Postby lawdog on Mon Sep 24, 2018 12:19 pm

Sagarin has us 117, 9 in FCS, GW 231.
http://sagarin.com/sports/cfsend.htm

GW generally plays well against us, regardless.
lawdog
True Terrier Fan

Postby youngterrier on Mon Sep 24, 2018 1:03 pm

50% chance of rain/thunderstorms saturday night (as of Monday)

https://weather.com/weather/tenday/l/28017:4:US

Gardner Webb is better than their record indicates, but at the same time there's no excuse for us to lose this one. If we have an average day, we win by at least 3 scores. If we're hitting on all cylinders it'll be much worse.

I don't want it to be close. We are better than them.
Study hard, Work Hard, Party Hard, Go Terriers!
youngterrier
True Terrier Fan

Postby Retiredterrier on Mon Sep 24, 2018 1:32 pm

'On paper' we should handle them easily - maybe even crush them - but games are not played on paper as we all know. How did ODU defeat Va Tech when they were winless before that game ?? So the Terriers have to take GWU seriously and play at a high level. GWU lost to WCU 28-10 and WCU barely squeezed by VMI - who could/should have won that game. But we have had trouble at their place recently so we had better be well prepared. Game notes https://woffordterriers.com/documents/2 ... _4_GWU.pdf According to the notes, Horton injured his arm in the Wyo game and is not starting nor is he on the two deep.
Retiredterrier
True Terrier Fan

Postby boulder3m on Mon Sep 24, 2018 5:30 pm

As regards upsets, the loss by NC A&T to Morgan State was an FCS Bombshell! After going to Jacksonville St and beating the perrinial OVC champion they went to East Carolina and beat them. Then they come home where they haven't lost in 15 games and lose to the team that is lowest rated in the MEAC (and that is LOW rated)! It probably kept them out of the playoffs, because if they are not a very high seed they probably will bolt for the money in the made for TV game. It was a huge loss WITH consequences.
boulder3m
True Terrier Fan

Postby Retiredterrier on Mon Sep 24, 2018 6:54 pm

Retiredterrier
True Terrier Fan

Postby lawdog on Wed Sep 26, 2018 9:29 pm

A scholarship well spent. http://www.goupstate.com/news/20180926/ ... round-game

GW fan board is talking about how close they came last year, and how we are ripe for them to upset us this year ... we had better bring our A game and play hard.
lawdog
True Terrier Fan

Postby Oak Grove on Fri Sep 28, 2018 12:10 pm

Anyone know the status of Horton's arm injury? How soon can he return?
Oak Grove
True Terrier Fan

Postby youngterrier on Fri Sep 28, 2018 1:05 pm

I'm going to retract what I said earlier in this thread.

Gardner Webb's run defense is just awful.

Last year, in spite of playing us, Kennesaw State, Western Carolina, and A&T, they averaged about 170 yards per game on defense.

this year, 4 games in, their defense is averaging about 300 yards on the ground. Absolutely terrible. Terriers win this one.
youngterrier
True Terrier Fan

Postby Retiredterrier on Fri Sep 28, 2018 3:19 pm

I hear you YT and you may be correct. However of the four games they have been crushed 45-6 by NC A&T and completely crushed and annihilated by App St 72-7. So those two games have likely influenced the stats more negatively than normal. But at the same time I agree that they are not very good and if everything goes according to prior games the Terriers should have a field day. Newman IMHO played with more confidence in the Wyo game (which was as a result his best game IMHO) even though he threw those two INTs. I agree that GWU should be unable to stop our running game. And of course if that happens and I am confident it will I don't see how we do not come out with a W. And since Newman played well in the Wyo game he should continue with that same level in the GWU game. I hope this does not mean we will be seeing less of Mosley. I like Newman a lot but I also like Mosley. Some of Mosley's runs in the Cit game were very exciting and I would like to see more of that. Go Terriers !!!!
Retiredterrier
True Terrier Fan

Postby lawdog on Fri Sep 28, 2018 3:31 pm

GW will see this game as redemption and they will give it all they have ... be wary. There is a lot of pressure on that program to do better, and a win against us would be HUGE.
lawdog
True Terrier Fan

Postby Oak Grove on Fri Sep 28, 2018 3:49 pm

Retiredterrier wrote: And since Newman played well in the Wyo game he should continue with that same level in the GWU game. I hope this does not mean we will be seeing less of Mosley. I like Newman a lot but I also like Mosley. Some of Mosley's runs in the Cit game were very exciting and I would like to see more of that. Go Terriers !!!!

I have been immensely impressed with Mosley. We were on the ropes against the Citadel when he came in and took charge of the situation. He showed all the confidence in the world leading us down the field for that last TD. I want to see us continue to develop both QBs.
Oak Grove
True Terrier Fan

Postby youngterrier on Fri Sep 28, 2018 4:24 pm

I agree with the assessment of both QBs. For now, Joe is the starter. The one thing I don't like about his play is that he's high reward and high risk. I don't think he has improved upon that yet but his high risk can be managed with good playcalling. Obviously, you can't blame the coach for his interceptions, but I think his first pick against Wyoming was totally avoidable with a better play call.

Joe is doing well with the quick routes and could probably deliver a bomb or two, but I don't trust his ability to drop back inside the opponent's 30 and hit a guy with a crowded field. Our pass game is still dependent on quick hitters and deception (banking on the defense loading the box), which is fine and atuned to his skillset. But when we try the drop back passes in a crowded field, I just don't think it's a good play call based on his strengths and habits of high risk.

So again, the picks are on Joe, but I think the chances of INTs can be minimized with proper play calling. Ever since Breteinstein graduated, I don't feel as if we have called plays in a way that optimally used the talent we have on the field. This year I think we've done better, but last year there were plenty of instances where that wasn't the case. (Calling a pass play with Joe against Samford in the final minute we we're moving it on the ground just fine with him is one example)
youngterrier
True Terrier Fan

Postby lawdog on Fri Sep 28, 2018 4:41 pm

Oak Grove wrote:
Retiredterrier wrote: And since Newman played well in the Wyo game he should continue with that same level in the GWU game. I hope this does not mean we will be seeing less of Mosley. I like Newman a lot but I also like Mosley. Some of Mosley's runs in the Cit game were very exciting and I would like to see more of that. Go Terriers !!!!

I have been immensely impressed with Mosley. We were on the ropes against the Citadel when he came in and took charge of the situation. He showed all the confidence in the world leading us down the field for that last TD. I want to see us continue to develop both QBs.

+1. Newman has done well overall and I can see why he is the starter, though as Ruckus pointed out throwing into stifling triple coverage late against Wyo was all on him, and should not have happened; our long passes generally are worth it only when the receiver is clearly open. Mosley has a lot of talent and should be getting into games more; against Wyo I think he could have made the difference in the second half ... less predictability and fresher. As to every other position on the field except quarterback, we are very good at keeping fresh legs and bodies on the field, and it helps us, yet the most physically and mentally challenging position, QB, gets no break ... why? That is not wise for us, especially since we have such a talented and confident guy as Mosley to provide a fresh approach and a break for Newman. We may well have lost against Cid without that change.
lawdog
True Terrier Fan

Postby boulder3m on Fri Sep 28, 2018 6:26 pm

If you are going to the GW game they are taking various products to help the flooded areas- cleaning materials, diapers, leather gloves, etc. Bring stuff in a bag and get in the gate without paying.
boulder3m
True Terrier Fan

Next

Return to Football