SOCON Membership in Ten Years

Southern Conference Champions - 2003, 2007, 2010, 2012, 2017
FCS Playoffs - 2003, 2007, 2008, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2016
FCS Playoff Semifinalists - 2003
FCS Playoff Quarterfinalists- 2016, 2017

Moderators: BestOfBreed, dungeonjoe

SOCON Membership in Ten Years

Postby Peachy Carnahan on Sun Sep 23, 2018 4:25 pm

Sitting here on Sunday during an off week...mind wandering...where will the SOCON be in ten years? Strictly in regard to members here are my prognostications:

SOCON:

Wofford
Furman
Samford
Mercer
Citadel
Stetson
Jacksonville
Western Carolina
Campbell
Charleston Southern
Richmond
William and Mary

Obviously, East Tennessee State, Chattanooga and Greensborro are gone. The latter two will leave to join the OVC with Kennesaw, North Alabama and Jacksonville State. The SOCON will become a private school centric conference with The Citadel and Western as the last two public school hold outs...keep in mind this is all ambiguous, subjective, conjecture as Dr. Donaldson used to say.
Peachy Carnahan
True Terrier Fan

Re: SOCON Membership in Ten Years

Postby Peachy Carnahan on Sun Sep 23, 2018 4:36 pm

On looking at my list I realize that William and Mary is a public School...not sure about Charleston Southern but you get what I mean.
Peachy Carnahan
True Terrier Fan

Postby Retiredterrier on Sun Sep 23, 2018 5:43 pm

Richmond and W & M would be great additions. Both are strong athletically as well as academically. As for the others I know nothing about their academics. I have absolutely no knowledge about the current members and so am not going to give any opinions about their future status in the SoCon. However I have a gut feeling that Samford would leave if they had a good opportunity. Unless I am sadly mistaken they are located the furthest from all other schools in the conference. Bottom line is that the SoCon is in good shape with good schools. And especially one school that is exceptional. Go Terriers !!!!!!
Retiredterrier
True Terrier Fan

Postby walliver on Sun Sep 23, 2018 5:50 pm

Does VMI join PC in the Big South/Patriot?

I don't see how WCU would fit into that SoCon either. The Citadel is at least semi-private, but WCU isn't. If ETSU went to the OVC, WCU would follow.
I also suspect there would be a lot of opposition to CSU for institutional and academic reasons.

If Stetson and Jacksonville joined, it would be as non-football members. I believe Jacksonville has dropped their plans for scholarship football. Non-football SoCon would be a big step up for both in olympic sports as the A-Sun is a disaster.

Richmond is in the A-10 for olympic sports, and the SoCon would be a big step down in basketball.

There's always talk of a Southern Patriot League, but once you get past the Private 4 in the SoCon, there are few schools that would fit that play scholarship football. Richmond isn't leaving the A-10, and W&M wouldn't join without Richmond.

I would prefer to keep the SoCon at 9 members in football, with a 10th team to balance out basketball
walliver
True Terrier Fan

Postby walliver on Sun Sep 23, 2018 5:56 pm

Retiredterrier wrote:Richmond and W & M would be great additions. Both are strong athletically as well as academically. As for the others I know nothing about their academics. I have absolutely no knowledge about the current members and so am not going to give any opinions about their future status in the SoCon. However I have a gut feeling that Samford would leave if they had a good opportunity. Unless I am sadly mistaken they are located the furthest from all other schools in the conference. Bottom line is that the SoCon is in good shape with good schools. And especially one school that is exceptional. Go Terriers !!!!!!

Samford has nowhere to go. They didn't like the OVC (that's why they joined the SoCon). They are geographic outliers to the Southland and CAA. The only geographic fit is the SWAC, and I don't see that happening. The new Big South would be geographically interesting with UNA and Kennesaw, but I suspect Sammy would rather play with FU, Mercer, and Wofford, than the football schools in the Big South.
walliver
True Terrier Fan

Postby boulder3m on Sun Sep 23, 2018 6:11 pm

Don't think it is that simple geographically. I also doubt that those constructing the future of the SoCon want it to be a private school oriented league. The real determining factor is going to be revenue and where it is generated with media. The first question might be where the NCAA is in ten years. Will it still be the ruling body, and what will be its responsibility? Will there be different levels of NCAA participation, like today? There are plenty of non Big Five colleges and universities in the Carolinas, Georgia, Tennessee, Virginia and Alabama that would be good fits for a conference. However, if the FBS grabs all the revenue through bowl games and there is little left for the FCS it is entirely possible that football will cease to exist as we know it. Possibly the Davidson model will prevail and football will be essentially a club sport. Personally I hope some minds that have the ability to do the forward thinking of the sort that got Wofford into the Southern Conference are out there dreaming of what can be. When you read about the money that is involved in the Big Five conferences today it is apparent that anyone not locked into those conferences is in trouble. I will chant the mantra again, we are controlled by whatever the media might become, and some smart folks had better be working on it or what we know today may be completely eradicated.
boulder3m
True Terrier Fan

Postby Peachy Carnahan on Sun Sep 23, 2018 7:34 pm

Walliver,

My thoughts were that VMI would take the Non Scholly route with PC.

I Kept WCU in the SOCON Clearly for geographic reasons but East Tennessee leaving for the OVC would most likely take them out as well.

Stetson and Jacksonville coming to the SOCON would happen only if they go scholarship football.

Campbell is just a matter of time.

I left Elon out because...well...they are Elon.

I would love to see most of the Big South in the SOCON and call it the SOCON. You want to talk about a geographic footprint with football competition, there it is.
Peachy Carnahan
True Terrier Fan

Return to Football