Week 2 - VMI

Southern Conference Champions - 2003, 2007, 2010, 2012, 2017
FCS Playoffs - 2003, 2007, 2008, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2016
FCS Playoff Semifinalists - 2003
FCS Playoff Quarterfinalists- 2016, 2017

Moderators: BestOfBreed, dungeonjoe

Week 2 - VMI

Postby walliver on Tue Sep 04, 2018 10:16 am

It's already Tuesday, and no-one is discussing this game yet.

I know VMI is a program with major issues, but I still have nightmares about 2002. VMI will play hard. If we have another turnover differential of -3 we may have issues.
walliver
True Terrier Fan

Re: Week 2 - VMI

Postby Atldog7 on Tue Sep 04, 2018 12:27 pm

Any word on Zy Abercrombie?? Saw him on the sideline in knee immobilizer. Didn't look good.
Atldog7
True Terrier Fan

Postby woffordgrad94 on Tue Sep 04, 2018 12:30 pm

I still don’t get how in the world we lost that game to Very Much Inept 16 years ago. Everyone talks about us getting “woofed”, “Wofford”, “wofforded” or what have you for the playoffs that year...the bottom line is we were excluded for losing THAT game and you can’t really blame anyone for leaving us out because of it.

If we execute and play the way we are capable, this Saturday should be a blowout. So if it is NOT a blowout, then that probably means we did not execute the way we could have and should have. Kindergarden level analysis, but also very true. We just have to be ready to play. Come to the stadium and professionally take care of business.
woffordgrad94
True Terrier Fan

Postby youngterrier on Tue Sep 04, 2018 2:15 pm

I don't have much to say other than there's no excuse for this game to be close. I know some may interpret that as being cocky but it's just a fact.
Study hard, Work Hard, Party Hard, Go Terriers!
youngterrier
True Terrier Fan

Postby Ruckus28 on Tue Sep 04, 2018 2:25 pm

+1
I think it will be a butt whipping. Just my spidey sense.
I was very impressed with our team speed on offense Saturday. Cid went odd man front/50 which caused some missed assignments on OL which I think will help us in the film room and to get better in he long run (FYI - we have never handled the odd man front well). I saw Trey Johnson challenge the OL before that last drive and they responded. We held a lot back and have much more ammo in the playbook. Like I posted earlier, I was impressed with how clean we played, plays in on time, looked sharp but for the few mental errors and poor play calls. We will be fine.
Ruckus28
True Terrier Fan

Postby Retiredterrier on Tue Sep 04, 2018 2:33 pm

We cannot take VMI lightly and go into the game thinking all we have to do is show up. Last year was a disaster for VMI but they had a lot of Fr that played regularly. Now those same players are more experienced and should play better. I am not saying the game will be close - just that the Terriers have to play well on both sides of the ball. If we do that we should be in good shape. https://youtu.be/w4r2_ZJX3TY
Retiredterrier
True Terrier Fan

Postby SmallTownTerrier on Tue Sep 04, 2018 6:06 pm

I’m with Ruck... This won’t be close... Most improvement takes place between weeks 1 and 2... VMI is not on our level at all... Not even close... Good game to develop some depth and continue to grow.
SmallTownTerrier
True Terrier Fan

Postby WocoSix on Tue Sep 04, 2018 7:13 pm

Well I am not going to cash my check just yet on this one. This one could be closer than most are speculating. Any team that can put the ball up 47 times, has an extensive passing playbook. Like most said this a defensive test opposite of a predominately run oriented team like Citadel. In my book this is where a defensive coaching expertise from the likes of Conklin and Siefkes come into play. I'm anticipating and wanting to see the adjustments and schemes that will be used against VMI and their passing game. Our offense should be able to move the ball on the ground vs VMI, especially with their undersized DL. If we can grind it out consistently, and force VMI into a sense of playing frantic and catchup we should come out victorious. Maybe a 2 touchdown difference but I hope I'm wrong. 2-0 in SoCon play is hard to come by and VMI is the next game. Don't let the Toledo game fool you.
Last edited by WocoSix on Wed Sep 05, 2018 8:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
WocoSix
True Terrier Fan

Postby boulder3m on Tue Sep 04, 2018 10:31 pm

Most of the posters on this site have played some sports in their lives. As you know, not many things are harder than playing with intensity when you have "locks." Don't believe it, refer to Wofford vs UNC last season. Play against a dub in a golf tournament and watch him turn into a Walker Cupper. Na, if you are going to suit up you had better mean it.
boulder3m
True Terrier Fan

Postby lawdog on Wed Sep 05, 2018 9:14 am

VMI will come at us hard and with determination. No quit in ‘em. They will be better than last year. Believe it.
lawdog
True Terrier Fan

Postby youngterrier on Wed Sep 05, 2018 9:24 am

All of this is true and it's still true that there's no excuse that this game is close.

We're a top 20 FCS program (if your standard is conference titles, playoff appearances, and playoff wins). VMI didn't win a game last year.

No excuse this one is close. It's certainly possible that this one is close. It's possible that we lose. But if either of those happen, this team is by all measures underperforming in a way that's hard to express.

I don't think that'll happen.
Study hard, Work Hard, Party Hard, Go Terriers!
youngterrier
True Terrier Fan

Postby Atldog7 on Wed Sep 05, 2018 9:59 am

Let's also remember that Coach Smith was there last year and will have some very important insights into dealing with their offense. Hopefully, we take care of business like we should.
Atldog7
True Terrier Fan

Postby lawdog on Wed Sep 05, 2018 3:29 pm

Game notes up. https://woffordterriers.com/news/2018/9 ... urday.aspx

Psst: despite the fact that we won 45-14 last year due largely to a strong finish, they matched us in total offense.
lawdog
True Terrier Fan

Postby Ruckus28 on Wed Sep 05, 2018 4:14 pm

They will dink and dunk us to death and get their yards. But without a big play, their red zone efficiency is poor due to no running game and contracted/short field. Yes they will play hard and yes we need to come to play our best. But like YT said, if we are as good as we think we are (and appear to be), we will play hard, focused, and be fine. Avoid the big play and breakdowns. And we are at home which helps us.
Y’all know I am never one to take a game lightly and EXPECT a win (I have seen too many “should have wons” and close ones in my time). I just think this week we have to play hard and do our thing and we will be ok. Anything can happen but I like our chances. I was very impressed with our speed and execution last week (for the most part, sans the 3 TOs). Some young guys should get to play and make some plays.
Ruckus28
True Terrier Fan

Postby mudrat43 on Wed Sep 05, 2018 5:01 pm

+1 there Ruckster. From what I've seen, heard and read, WOF has some really, really good talent in some of the underclassmen. I'd love to see a truly definitive man-up fight at QB, and I'd love to see some of those speedsters get a shot at haulin' the ball. Speed (at any position) can get in the heads of the opposition real quick and I believe WOF has a load of it this year. Hope the coaching staff has a good plan in hand to showcase some of it....maybe even experiment with some trickery this week.....Go Terriers!!
mudrat43
True Terrier Fan

Next

Return to Football