Citadel

Southern Conference Champions - 2003, 2007, 2010, 2012, 2017
FCS Playoffs - 2003, 2007, 2008, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2016
FCS Playoff Semifinalists - 2003
FCS Playoff Quarterfinalists- 2016, 2017

Moderators: BestOfBreed, dungeonjoe

Re: Citadel

Postby SmallTownTerrier on Sun Sep 02, 2018 9:17 am

Don’t know who disagrees, but take away the two bad throws and the punt that hit our kid and it’s prolly 35-0... And talk on this board goes from a bit above average enthusiasm to a National Title contender talk.
SmallTownTerrier
True Terrier Fan

Postby Retiredterrier on Sun Sep 02, 2018 9:23 am

I feel good that we got a W. just too many mistakes but it was the first game. mistakes can be corrected and we will improve. You learn from your mistakes.

http://www.goupstate.com/news/20180901/ ... head-coach
Retiredterrier
True Terrier Fan

Postby mudrat43 on Sun Sep 02, 2018 10:27 am

Agree with most you bloggers, but for the turnovers, WOF totally dominated CID. The only thing I observed that may have had an effect on our offense was that near the end of the second quarter, CID went from a 4-3 defense to a 3-4 defense for the remainder of the game. Could have been a bit confusing in the blocking scheme....they'll figure that out. Also, WOF can't pass the ball! But then again CID couldn't either! I hope the Terriers improve this year in that regard. Anyway, a really good rivalry win, a really good SoCon win, and WOF is No. 1 this week.....Go Terriers
mudrat43
True Terrier Fan

Postby lawdog on Sun Sep 02, 2018 10:35 am

True Mudrat, very poor execution of basic passing plays, no play action. We are tough when we run it, and run it we must, but when we pass it, need to be more creative and execute better. To lose the TO battle 3-0 and still beat a good team like Cid is cause for optimism. Get better every day ... our opponents will.

https://www.postandcourier.com/sports/c ... 1ff15.html Some video here.
lawdog
True Terrier Fan

Postby woffordgrad94 on Sun Sep 02, 2018 11:07 am

I loved our running game as usual, and our tough defense. But I was very disappointed in the turnovers and especially our passing game. I was optimistic that with a new coach would come a better more improved passing game. But I fear Joe Newman is just not that kind of QB. He’s a Shawn Graves type- dangerous with his feet, not so much with his arm. And while I’m happy with the end result of a win, it was a bit tough to listen to the last three quarters where we were really fighting for our lives. With Citadel picked to finish near the bottom of the conference, I was hoping for an entire game more like the first quarter. Also, I really wish Wofford had not allowed them to bring their entire corps of cadets up to the game...it’s supposed to be a home field advantage!
woffordgrad94
True Terrier Fan

Postby youngterrier on Sun Sep 02, 2018 11:47 am

I guess I'm frustrated about this game mostly because we didn't learn much about us and it was a game like last year. Last year taught us that the ifs and buts don't mean much. What was common last year were those mistakes that kept opponents in the game, even if we outplayed them on the state sheet. We really only played 2 "complete" games last year, and even then I would argue it was only one (Furman in the playoffs) because VMI's dumpster fire-ness took them out of it. We have the X's and O's and Jimmy's and Joe's to be a great team, but one thing that's missing (and it was missing most of last year) is the killer instinct to put teams away so it's in hand going into the final possession. I don't know if it's bad luck, or complacency, or our style of play or a little bit of all 3. I'm inclined to not think it's bad luck because it's a trend. Bad luck shows up in the margins and it's not marginal. The good news is I *know* the team and coaches are aware of this. They hate winning like this. We may grow that killer instinct yet, and with the next 3 games we should have that opportunity
Study hard, Work Hard, Party Hard, Go Terriers!
youngterrier
True Terrier Fan

Postby TURKEYCREEK on Sun Sep 02, 2018 2:07 pm

Yea, cause restricting game access to visiting fans is a really good idea.
TURKEYCREEK
2008 Bowl Pickem Co-Champ

Postby Ruckus28 on Sun Sep 02, 2018 3:01 pm

It’s none of the 3. It’s called poor execution and mental mistakes by our leaders when we can’t afford to have them. We simply cannot afford to have 3 critical TOS in our territory (almost a 4th save for Hill’s miraculous effort in the tipped pass) against anybody much less a League foe. This was a good win in the face of those 3 game killers but Cid is not that good and we cannot afford these mistakes again. Also really bothers me we played all of 5 DLs last night. Not very deep.
Upside: Mosley took over at a critical point when we needed him the most; OL took control on last drive and had no penalties (when is last time we had no holding, motion, or chop block penalties?); Horton is a beast; saw glimpses of good things from young playmakers (Lovelace, Walker, Luther). And our D is for real (save 2 TDs off TOS on short fields).
Small Town is dead on: blow out without Newman’s TOS and the weird punt deal but we have to get better and learn from it. Looked pretty sharp otherwise (overall).
News flash: passing the ball is NOT our strength.
Ruckus28
True Terrier Fan

Postby Atldog7 on Sun Sep 02, 2018 10:33 pm

FWIW - Luther can absolutely pick them up and put them down. He was so open on that first deep ball it was unreal. Hard to believe he actually overthrew him. We have to be able to throw it some. Just the threat of Luther going deep is enough to keep Safeties from creeping to the LOS. We just have to be able to hit those guys a little bit. Really pleased with the run game. Nate Walker's stats weren't great but that kid runs with serious power and intent. He will be a dandy once Stoddard graduates. We have the makings of a really special team if/when we eliminate some correctable mistakes. Mosley looked very good in limited snaps but we will need them both. If we can get up big on VMI, it would interesting to see Weirick get a few snaps as well.
Atldog7
True Terrier Fan

Postby boulder3m on Sun Sep 02, 2018 10:49 pm

The new redshirt rule makes it a really interesting decision for the coaches on when to use freshmen that possibly could be redshirted. Use them early to see what they can do, or save them until later when you may need those 4 games they are allowed. With the new rule Newman would have another full year. No longer will the blow out be the time for all freshmen.
boulder3m
True Terrier Fan

Postby youngterrier on Sun Sep 02, 2018 11:25 pm

We only threw 9 passed. That's the average of the last 2 seasons. The problem wasn't the fact that we called passing plays, it was when (we called 2 back to back and then ran a dive on 3rd and 10???) and how they were executed.

What's frustrating is that you don't have to be an air raid team to be good at that, and we were decent at it last year. But I haven't felt like we've been smart about those sort of play calls since, like, 2011.
youngterrier
True Terrier Fan

Postby boulder3m on Mon Sep 03, 2018 10:04 am

HOWEVER, let's not forget the "air it out" pass that Joe barely missed on a sixty yard heave early in the game. I know it was a purpose play to loosen the DB's, but had it hit everything we are saying would be moot. We should have the chance at least one or two times per game to hit that long bomb and it WILL happen.
boulder3m
True Terrier Fan

Postby woffordgrad94 on Mon Sep 03, 2018 10:21 am

TURKEYCREEK wrote:Yea, cause restricting game access to visiting fans is a really good idea.

Actually, I think limiting visiting fans access to a certain amount is a GREAT idea! We are a small school and don’t have a ton of fans. But we still want to keep a home field advantage for our team in home games. So limit the number of tickets for visiting fans, both paid and comp. It’s a space thing, our stadium capacity is not huge, we don’t have a lot of space, and we’d like to reserve a large percentage of that space for our Wofford fans! Remember that Gerogia Southern playoff game where we had Eagles fans coming over to the home side of the stadium and antagonizing our fans? We don’t want that again, do we? It shouldn’t have happened be cause it shouldn’t have been ALLOWED to happen!
woffordgrad94
True Terrier Fan

Postby youngterrier on Mon Sep 03, 2018 11:05 am

The home stands seat about 8k (tops). On a good day there will be 6k Wofford fans in those stands with 4k being more of the norm
youngterrier
True Terrier Fan

Postby youngterrier on Mon Sep 03, 2018 11:15 am

Anyone know when IWF will drop (if it will at all???)
youngterrier
True Terrier Fan

PreviousNext

Return to Football