Citadel

Southern Conference Champions - 2003, 2007, 2010, 2012, 2017
FCS Playoffs - 2003, 2007, 2008, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2016
FCS Playoff Semifinalists - 2003
FCS Playoff Quarterfinalists- 2016, 2017

Moderators: BestOfBreed, dungeonjoe

Re: Citadel

Postby lawdog on Mon Sep 03, 2018 12:43 pm

boulder3m wrote:HOWEVER, let's not forget the "air it out" pass that Joe barely missed on a sixty yard heave early in the game. I know it was a purpose play to loosen the DB's, but had it hit everything we are saying would be moot. We should have the chance at least one or two times per game to hit that long bomb and it WILL happen.

I agree; we should focus on making our pass attempts count by coupling them with some deception/good timing and going for the big gainer; we have been pretty good at that in the past. Little rollout flat passes to RBs and the TE are also low risk plays that can break big, which we have not used so much recently. Loved the McAfee bomb to the TE last year. Simple drop backs to the middle of the field by our QB, neither of which is very tall, seem like a waste ... too much risk, no surprise, and :| not enough juice for the squeeze.
lawdog
True Terrier Fan

Postby youngterrier on Mon Sep 03, 2018 12:49 pm

Yeah. I find it weird that we want pass plays for 1st and 10. I want to be able to run pass plays for 3rd and 7. We did that last year. I like running the ball 70% of the time, but we run it 80-90%. That 10% IMO is a big difference, but we don't make the 20% count that we do.
Study hard, Work Hard, Party Hard, Go Terriers!
youngterrier
True Terrier Fan

Postby WocoSix on Mon Sep 03, 2018 9:10 pm

Wanted to watch the replay before giving my impression. So here goes. The obvious question is do we have a QB dilemma? Personally I do not blame Newman for those INT's. I do not think his strengths lie in being a pocket passer. Up 21 pts with less than 2 minutes till halftime on our own 20 yard line, I question why are we even passing the ball. With a defense that hasn't let the Citadel offense even close midfield, why not play the clock game and punt. Go into half 21-0? Miller brought in the spark to propel us to a win, but I didn't see enough to make the QB change. We are going to have to find a way to utilize both. As for the passing game, we started off with simple slot screens, QB rollouts, and simple 1 man routes. I don't think we are quite ready to venture into combination routes or routes were we are asking the QB to go through progressions.

Special teams is a big concern. Not the miscue of the player getting touched, but the punting game. I don't think we flipped the field not even once. There were times we punted on our end of the field and Citadel started their drives from midfield. Maybe the rugby style kick will make an appearance. I don't know if it was the high snaps or opening game jitters.

Defensively I knew we were going to be down right salty. But we can't judge our Defense off of a 1 dimensional team like the Citadel. This week we should be able to open up the playbook and see what adjustments have been made in the off season. The LB and DL play was key to the success of the defense. I dare to say they were more active than last year's version of the defense.
WocoSix
True Terrier Fan

Postby youngterrier on Tue Sep 04, 2018 8:46 am

The IWF is not nearly at the level we're used to. I hope it's because the material we were working with was hindered by the technical difficulties
youngterrier
True Terrier Fan

Postby WoCo65 on Tue Sep 04, 2018 9:08 am

[quote]The IWF is not nearly at the level we're used to./quote]

Where is it? I didn't see on youtube yet.
WoCo65
True Terrier Fan

Postby Hobo on Tue Sep 04, 2018 9:10 am

WoCo65 wrote:
The IWF is not nearly at the level we're used to./quote]

Where is it? I didn't see on youtube yet.

https://youtu.be/7FDJxgHlf6A
Hobo
True Terrier Fan

Postby OlRB#3 on Tue Sep 04, 2018 9:18 am

Why does it take so long for IWF to come out? Citadel had their production out Sunday before lunch. I still wish Wofford would make a more concerted effort to market the football program and college with high quality video productions. What I've seen isn't to the level of hardly any of the other programs our size, and not nearly as frequent.

As for the game, I always love being back in Gibbs. I hate we turned the ball over up 21-0 but I do like the mentality there of not settling and being ultra conservative. I think we will be fine on all aspects. It was game number 1 with new starter at QB and a first time head coach. It will all get worked out. I'm very excited based on what I saw and look forward to improving this week vs VMI.
OlRB#3
True Terrier Fan

Postby youngterrier on Tue Sep 04, 2018 9:28 am

Generally speaking, I think IWF does much better than any other team in the conference (think of one better, I'll wait). This one just wasn't good.

I also know they look on the comments on terrierfans and will take productive criticism. I imagine they know it wasn't good, which is why I think technical difficulties are to blame
youngterrier
True Terrier Fan

Postby walliver on Tue Sep 04, 2018 9:52 am

The volume of passing wasn't an issue to me. Last year El Cid completely shut down our running game for most of the contest and we had to resort to passing to win. Choices made within the passing game are worrisome. The two interceptions were essentially the same play with the same result. Apparently, neither our QB or OC learned from the first interception. The muffed punt return was kind of a freak play, but I noticed earlier in the game a similar situation were some of the return team was wondering around the field with no sense of where the ball was and a player came close to being hit by the ball.

All three turnovers are teachable moments, and I'm sure these issues will be addressed.

What worries me most about the game was that this is still a Wade Lang offense with its accompanying quirks. He was better about getting plays in on time, but completely lacks the ability to put opponents away. All we needed to do was make a first down or two during our last drive and we could have comfortably lined up in the victory position. Instead we abandon the offense that just scored a TD and went to ultra-safe mode and once again relied on our defense to make a stop. This has been an issue for several years. If our program is to make the next step and become a national contender we need to adjust our late game offense from playing it safe to making first downs (and the two are not mutually exclusive).

Whether was have a starting QB issue is hard to determine. Much like the Zollman/Rodgers duo in 2002-2004, we have our two QB's running different offenses. The play calling on Mosley's last drive was great. Newman seemed to spend half of his game time handing the ball off up the middle or scrambling in the backfield. I would like to see Joe running the same offense Mosley did in order to make a fair comparison.
walliver
True Terrier Fan

Postby WocoSix on Tue Sep 04, 2018 2:35 pm

After watching the IWF. I think it was verified, the first series was a fumble and the Citadel player was not down. We really need instant replay at Wofford home games. Would hate for a pivotal moment in a game to be decided by a referee. There was another play on the last drive that was questionable as well. I thought we had an INT.
WocoSix
True Terrier Fan

Postby fgs44 on Tue Sep 04, 2018 2:42 pm

anyone listen to the Josh Conklin radio show--Anything interesting?
fgs44
True Terrier Fan

Postby youngterrier on Tue Sep 04, 2018 2:57 pm

WocoSix wrote:After watching the IWF. I think it was verified, the first series was a fumble and the Citadel player was not down. We really need instant replay at Wofford home games. Would hate for a pivotal moment in a game to be decided by a referee. There was another play on the last drive that was questionable as well. I thought we had an INT.

I think this was clear for anyone in the stadium and I thought this myself.
youngterrier
True Terrier Fan

Postby Ruckus28 on Tue Sep 04, 2018 3:07 pm

Saw him before the show and chatted with him a little. Not complacent. Lots to improve on. The more I am around him the more I like him. He is, as has been described to me, “one of us.”
Per show: Poor execution on offense and mental errors led to TOS. Freak play on punt; need to clean up some mistakes. Faulted defense for not holding them to field goals on short fields. Gave us a look on the 4th down play that we had not prepped (they usually run power out of it). Just knew/confident someone would step up and make a play late. Happy with younger guys stepping up and making plays. Need to keep improving. Held some younger D players out because of lack of experience with option. THey will get more reps this week. Explosive plays were in our favor. Newman and Mosley both did good job. Looking for more pass opportunities to move sticks. Luther is a real threat.
This week will be different with VMI. Passing offense with some talented talented younger players. We will have to improve to have a chance to reach our goals.
Ruckus28
True Terrier Fan

Postby lawdog on Tue Sep 04, 2018 6:12 pm

youngterrier wrote:Generally speaking, I think IWF does much better than any other team in the conference (think of one better, I'll wait). This one just wasn't good.

I also know they look on the comments on terrierfans and will take productive criticism. I imagine they know it wasn't good, which is why I think technical difficulties are to blame

Concur. Our Inside Wofford Football production in recent years has been excellent. This one was subpar.

On the field, we did some very good things and we are certainly in position to do better.
lawdog
True Terrier Fan

Previous

Return to Football