Citadel

Southern Conference Champions - 2003, 2007, 2010, 2012, 2017
FCS Playoffs - 2003, 2007, 2008, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2016
FCS Playoff Semifinalists - 2003
FCS Playoff Quarterfinalists- 2016, 2017

Moderators: BestOfBreed, dungeonjoe

Citadel

Postby youngterrier on Sat Sep 01, 2018 7:26 pm

We are up 21-7 at half. We looked good for the first 20 minutes but we have calmed down, made some mistakes and citadel has made it a game. We get the ball in the second half. Miles brown was carted off the field, with either an ankle or knee injury after he caught a bad block.

No telling how bad it is because knees are weird. He didn't have any medical attention to get off the field at all, so hopefully he's alright
Study hard, Work Hard, Party Hard, Go Terriers!
youngterrier
True Terrier Fan

Re: Citadel

Postby Peachy Carnahan on Sat Sep 01, 2018 7:39 pm

I hope he is ok.
Peachy Carnahan
True Terrier Fan

Postby youngterrier on Sat Sep 01, 2018 7:53 pm

Brown is okay. Forced throws by Newman are keeping them in it...21-14
youngterrier
True Terrier Fan

Postby lawdog on Sat Sep 01, 2018 9:03 pm

YES hang on to win by 7!
lawdog
True Terrier Fan

Postby youngterrier on Sat Sep 01, 2018 9:04 pm

Our own mistakes kept them in this one I think we officially have a QB battle on our hands here
youngterrier
True Terrier Fan

Postby Hobo on Sat Sep 01, 2018 9:10 pm

Not pretty. A lot of questions. But 1-0 in the conference!
Hobo
True Terrier Fan

Postby lawdog on Sat Sep 01, 2018 9:12 pm

A game from which we should learn a lot.

Need to hear from some of the fans at the game.
lawdog
True Terrier Fan

Postby youngterrier on Sat Sep 01, 2018 9:29 pm

Our mistakes kept them in the game (3 turnovers).
I think we tried to be a little too RPO/passing than we needed to for the middle 20 minutes.
We thought we had it in the bag up 21-0 and took it off the gas
A lot of young guys played well.
It was the first game of the year
It's hard to tell against the citadel if the times we are out of sync are attributable to our mistakes or their knowledge of our offense.
We were -3 on turnovers and still won

That's my summary. As someone else said, we have a lot to learn from.
youngterrier
True Terrier Fan

Postby Wofford#1Fan on Sat Sep 01, 2018 9:37 pm

watching the first half from the veranda lot and we looked great. Got in the car to drive back to CLT and watch on my phone on ESPN + and there were no announcers? I paid 4.99 for crowd noise? I hope that's not what it's supposed to be. Disappointed in espn+ but not the W.
Wofford#1Fan
True Terrier Fan

Postby youngterrier on Sat Sep 01, 2018 10:53 pm

It's kind of frustrating looking at the stats and seeing how we dominated this game. It shouldn't have been this close. 5 of our 6 rushers had more than 4 ypc. We didn't lose yards rushing at all tonight. Citadel lost 17. We had 390 yards rushing. They had 240 total yards, 217 yards rushing, with about 20% coming from a blown play at the end of the half.

If we're honest, turnovers and a failure to innovate at the midpoint of the game is what kept this one close. It's a little heavy to say it's Joe's fault. I wouldn't call for the starting position to go to Moseley yet. I hope the players and coaches take this opportunity to learn from the mistakes we made (some of the play calls were suspect at times IMO) and get better.
youngterrier
True Terrier Fan

Postby SmallTownTerrier on Sat Sep 01, 2018 11:49 pm

Most improvement is made between week one and two... Joe made 2 bad reads... Never saw linebacker... He will clean that up on film... D Line depth is a concern... Only saw 4 guys for the most part... I think it’s a 3 headed monster with us, Samford and Furman... Others are just ok, but still can beat top 3... Gotta love the SO CON... Buckle your chinstrap.
SmallTownTerrier
True Terrier Fan

Postby boulder3m on Sat Sep 01, 2018 11:57 pm

Just rolled in from the game. That beautiful lightning in the distance during the fourth quarter is what we had to drive into! This is about the game day experience, which frankly was embarrassing. First, the parking is not well defined and made apparent to the fans who have not purchased a parking space. The attendents told us where we could NOT park, but had no clue where we could park.
The next little item is the concessions-or I should say lack of concessions. Who was in charge that didn't know this game was being played at 6 PM in 92 degree heat? Other than the two concession stands on either side of the home field there were no other options; unless you were in the President's Box or a Freshman being fed on tables. The concession stands were woefully understaffed, and there was a major shortage of food and beverages. Long before the game began they had run out of lots of food an all cold water. It was STUPID!! Did they not expect a big crowd for the game with The Citadel? Man, when you couple this with the obvious problem with the radio/TV broadcast it just looks like we mailed it in. I am embarrassed for Wofford.
boulder3m
True Terrier Fan

Postby boulder3m on Sun Sep 02, 2018 12:11 am

OK, as for the game. YT is right on with the stats. We totally dominated them except for three plays that led to TDs-two very questionable passes that were intercepted and the boneheaded punt reception muff. All three of those plays are opportunities to learn. The play calling sequence on our third TD (I think) was exceptional. We set up the big play perfectly. A lot of the time we seemed to be confused on what we were doing, and forgot that we had speed on the outside. We totally stuffed their running game with a few exceptions that didn't matter. I think there were a couple of long runs on draw plays on third and long situations as well as the last play of the quarter. Take away those inconsequential running yards and they were stuffed. We shouldn't forget that we were playing against a team that is prepared for us. Same schemes and plays. Yet we stuffed them over and over and never let them get outside. Joe had a pretty tough night except for a couple of broken plays that he really turned into spectacular runs. Moseley really showed quickness getting to the corner and making decisions. I think I said months ago I would love to see a few plays created to get them lined up next to each other in the backfield with the defenses not knowing who gets the snap. The other one opens up the outside and the pass as well. The fact is that we got this one under our belt and have the next two weeks to work on a lot of things. Welcome to Wofford, Coach Conk! Yeah, it probably will be like this most of the time...
boulder3m
True Terrier Fan

Postby youngterrier on Sun Sep 02, 2018 12:36 am

The last time we were -3 on turnover margin and won was 2013. The opponent was the Citadel. I'm feeling better about this game because of the stats. They have a solid defense but we ran the ball as effectively as we ever have. Just gotta get in sync with play calling and not make bonehead mistakes
youngterrier
True Terrier Fan

Postby lawdog on Sun Sep 02, 2018 12:50 am

lawdog
True Terrier Fan

Next

Return to Football