Southern Conference Champions - 2003, 2007, 2010, 2012, 2017
FCS Playoffs - 2003, 2007, 2008, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2016
FCS Playoff Semifinalists - 2003
FCS Playoff Quarterfinalists- 2016, 2017

Moderators: BestOfBreed, dungeonjoe

Second scrimmage

Postby crabbyterrier on Sat Aug 18, 2018 1:43 pm

https://woffordterriers.com/news/2018/8 ... mmage.aspx

Well, it seems like it was all D again this week other than the first series. Not great 3rd down conversions and a lot of INT’s while trying. I know the O is usually behind in pre season but it doesn’t sound like they improved much week over week. Struggling with kicking game as well.

I am a bit concerned with the offense. Maybe it’s still early. I hope major improvements are gained with O and kicking game.

Go Terriers!
If you can't pee with the BIG DOGS,
stay out of the tall grass!
crabbyterrier
True Terrier Fan

Re: Second scrimmage

Postby boulder3m on Sat Aug 18, 2018 5:16 pm

My only comment is to remember that the O is playing against what we hope is one of the best D in FCS. I know we have very good personnel in the backfield. The O line is maybe a little of a question mark.
boulder3m
True Terrier Fan

Postby Retiredterrier on Sat Aug 18, 2018 6:43 pm

Retiredterrier
True Terrier Fan

Postby WocoSix on Sun Aug 19, 2018 1:02 pm

My personal feedback from yesterdays practice. Lets first start with the obvious. Special teams was atrocious on yesterday. Especially FG's from within the red zone. I can understand missing from 45+ yards out but we were not even close on a few. Our kickers better get themselves in gear because I can see the Citadel game coming down to special teams play. Even when the offense stalled, there were not punts worthy of flipping the field or pinning the opposing team in deep territory. As for return teams the whistle was blown kind of early so it was hard to get a barometer on the return game.

Defensively, I think we may have some quality depth. Starting with Ryan Titus #53 who I thought had some nice reads and fitted gaps nicely from the LB position. #44 Robbie Armstrong was also very active. Both will add much needed quality Depth to the LB Corp. I personally have been impressed with the DL play. With the loss of Priester and Coach Riase, I was expecting a setback in their play. But it looks like the DL as a group is playing with better technique and getting more QB pressures with the new schemes. In the secondary JoJo Tillery and Domo Lemon seem to be having a good fall camp. Tillery has been very vocal and I hope his intensity rubs off on the other players. Domo Lemon has been "Johny on the spot" and always seems to be in the right spot for a big hit or a play on the ball. Darron Paschal has also showed glimpses of being able to contribute. He has been physical with WR's (although he got a INT call), but with a little more polishing on techniques, he could be a 5-10 play guy.

Offensively I think we are still on course to be a juggernaut. Though the press clippings and others on the message board state otherwise. That first drive by Newman is what I am expecting to see all season long. There are just too many weapons at the skill position for teams to focus on one player. Coach Lang, is doing one helluva job with the talented players he has at his disposal. MOST think the last 2 scrimmages was designed to showcase an offense, but in actuality its designed to help the coordinator identify personnel and packages he can add to his game plan for Citadel. Yes we still run the triple option, but now its the quintuple option! As an opposing D-Coordinator you now have to worry about stopping the Dive \Counter package, Pitch Option package, QB Keep package, Play Action package, and now a quick /deep ball passing package. I am high on this TJ Luther kid. I can see him as SoCon Freshman of the year. I do not think there will be many in the SoCon that will go 1 on 1 with this kid by the time mid season rolls around if he keeps this pace up. There were a few times in this scrimmage and the last scrimmage that this kid just blew by our secondary guy with preseason accolades. Also add to the mix a good hands guy like Jason Hill and 2 shifty backs in space like Blake and VanCleave . Also of note at the RB position we have added depth that will keep Stoddard and McAffee fresh come the 4th Quarter. Broussard, Riazzi, and Walker look to be the real deals and can carry a 5- 10 touch work load.

Yes scrimmages and real game speed are two different things. We have yet to see these Freshman on offense play a SoCon down! But if they can handle the fire coming then I am pretty confident we could be top tier in the league.
WocoSix
True Terrier Fan

Postby youngterrier on Sun Aug 19, 2018 2:46 pm

well, now my interest is peaked
Study hard, Work Hard, Party Hard, Go Terriers!
youngterrier
True Terrier Fan

Postby WocoSix on Sun Aug 19, 2018 3:06 pm

YT what's peaking your interest?
WocoSix
True Terrier Fan

Postby youngterrier on Mon Aug 20, 2018 11:54 am

WocoSix wrote:YT what's peaking your interest?

New players + new schemes you've alluded to.

I didn't realize how deep we were until the last couple days or so. It seems like we've never been deeper at the skill positions. If our OL performs, we'll be in good shape this year.
Study hard, Work Hard, Party Hard, Go Terriers!
youngterrier
True Terrier Fan

Postby Oak Grove on Mon Aug 20, 2018 4:14 pm

Six, Thanks for providing another report. Those of us who can't make it to the scrimmages are starving for every crumb of information we can get on the team.
Oak Grove
True Terrier Fan

Postby lawdog on Mon Aug 20, 2018 4:32 pm

As a former Wofford English major, can't resist:

https://www.dictionary.com/e/pique-peak-peek/
lawdog
True Terrier Fan

Return to Football