Wofford is Preseason Ranked #.....

Southern Conference Champions - 2003, 2007, 2010, 2012, 2017
FCS Playoffs - 2003, 2007, 2008, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2016
FCS Playoff Semifinalists - 2003
FCS Playoff Quarterfinalists- 2016, 2017

Moderators: BestOfBreed, dungeonjoe

Wofford is Preseason Ranked #.....

Postby WocoSix on Mon Aug 06, 2018 2:27 pm

We all know preseason rankings don't get rings or win championships. But currently, we are Ranked #10 according to STATS FCS preseason poll. This goes a long way in positioning us for home field advantage in the playoffs, if we can win games. Starting with Citadel on 9/1. Below is the entire poll.

http://www.espn.com/espn/wire?section=ncf&id=24301488
WocoSix
True Terrier Fan

Re: Wofford is Preseason Ranked #.....

Postby boulder3m on Mon Aug 06, 2018 8:05 pm

While my initial thought is that the SoCon is not getting the respect it deserves, the truth is that becasue of the coaching change we have a question mark above us-and Furman was a surprise last year. Mercer and Samford should probably be expected to be strong. However, when you look at that list of top 25 it is hard to see any of our conference teams fitting in much above where we are positioned. It really doesn't matter, does it?
boulder3m
True Terrier Fan

Postby WocoSix on Tue Aug 07, 2018 8:18 am

Good thing is Samford will get a shot at Kennesaw State, Citadel gets Towson, Furman vs Elon , Furman vs Colgate, and Mercer vs Yale. These should all provide the SoCon with creditability on a national scale. As for the teams currently ranked above us they have some games to watch to help propel us to a top 5 ranking. Jax St vs NC A&T, Jax St vs Kennesaw, New Hampshire and JMU, as well as E. Washington vs Weber St.

If we take care of our business, and win one game at a time this could be a special year for Wofford football. I have said it before on this board. I think we made excellent hires on the defensive side of the ball, while the offensive side pretty much remained in tact.
WocoSix
True Terrier Fan

Postby youngterrier on Tue Aug 07, 2018 9:03 am

I also hate our scheduling, but at the same time I'll take 2 Big South teams to 1 and an NAIA team any day
Study hard, Work Hard, Party Hard, Go Terriers!
youngterrier
True Terrier Fan

Postby lawdog on Mon Sep 03, 2018 9:18 am

We should hold our own in the rankings this week. Watch out for NC A & T, who has beaten # 6 Jax State and FBS ECU. They beat ECU with D, including a 108 yard int. return. Our D should keep improving, hopefully also in the turnover department.
lawdog
True Terrier Fan

Postby boulder3m on Mon Sep 03, 2018 9:59 am

I watched A&T in both games. They didn't impress that much, IMO. Jax St made an incredible number of boneheaded plays and the game was very disjointed with penalties on so many plays. At ECU A&T got all the breaks against a very bad team and program in total disarray. A&T will zoom up the polls, and has played probably the two hardest teams on their schedule, with the MEAC being very weak overall; so my guess is that A&T will end the season rated very highly and then once again have the chance to snub the FCS and take a guaranteed payout to play in some obscure made for TV game.
boulder3m
True Terrier Fan

Postby lawdog on Sun Sep 09, 2018 10:22 pm

A & T put a whipping on Gardner Webb this weekend to go 3-0, after looking mediocre for more than a half. A & T has not lost in a season in a half; they are playing with a lot of confidence, and have learned even to win ugly, which good teams do. About 8-10 years ago years ago they were doormats, perennially worse than VMI, so there is hope for the Keydets. A & T got Rod Broadway as their coach and turned things around in just 2-3 years. At the college level, great coaching is so important; look at Coach Ayers. Tarek Cohen, who is playing great for the Bears tonight, got exactly one college offer ... A&T. Brandon Parker, a tackle from there who went in the third round to Oakland and is impressing everyone, had one offer too, A & T; he wanted to go to UNC badly, where his dad starred, but UNC knew better ... ?? As the result of their recent success, A&T's recruiting has gotten much better.

Samford and we should move up in the rankings this week.
lawdog
True Terrier Fan

Postby SmallTownTerrier on Sun Sep 09, 2018 11:04 pm

I laugh at Craig Haley... Picked New Hampshire in his top 5... They are 0-2... I also think Furple Colgate game this weekend is interesting... Colgate is much improved and Furman is dazed and confused with no leader in the huddle and a defense that may not be as good as advertised
SmallTownTerrier
True Terrier Fan

Postby lawdog on Mon Sep 10, 2018 9:30 am

This week Sagarin has Wyoming 89 and us 128. http://sagarin.com/sports/cfsend.htm
lawdog
True Terrier Fan

Postby boulder3m on Mon Sep 10, 2018 10:00 am

Wyoming looked great in their opener, and then fell on their face in game 2. They will be hungry. I think they run a stacked I offense with lots of pro sets. Should give our secondary a big test.
boulder3m
True Terrier Fan

Postby lawdog on Mon Sep 10, 2018 8:13 pm

This week Wyo. was overmatched by a strong Mo. team. Wyo. has some talent however and it will take our best effort.
lawdog
True Terrier Fan

Return to Football