Football Facility and Uniform Upgrades

Southern Conference Champions - 2003, 2007, 2010, 2012, 2017
FCS Playoffs - 2003, 2007, 2008, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2016
FCS Playoff Semifinalists - 2003
FCS Playoff Quarterfinalists- 2016, 2017

Moderators: BestOfBreed, dungeonjoe

Football Facility and Uniform Upgrades

Postby WocoSix on Tue Feb 13, 2018 7:08 pm

Looks like with Coach Conklin and the new staff there has been "scuttle butt" that there may be some upgrades coming soon. I have seen the new uniform combinations (Black on Black, Solid Old Gold, etc.) . Also heard rumblings of facility upgrades to locker rooms and football offices. With both Basketball teams and Volleyball team's locker rooms and coaches offices over in the new Richardson Indoor Stadium that leaves plenty of room to showcase a Top Notch SoCon facility. Small things like a players lounges, Team /Position meeting rooms, upgrade of player treatment, etc could take the Wofford program to the next level of recruiting. Have you gentlemen heard of any other upgrades around campus? What do you all think about the possible addition of new addidas gear? I know Coach Ayers had the Joe Paterno school of thought.
Last edited by WocoSix on Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
WocoSix
True Terrier Fan

Re: Football Facility and Uniform Upgrades

Postby youngterrier on Tue Feb 13, 2018 7:28 pm

I think it would be cool to turn Richardson into a football-centered building, now that there's more space.

The student gym is now the Benjo, starting this past interim, I'm pretty sure.
Study hard, Work Hard, Party Hard, Go Terriers!
youngterrier
True Terrier Fan

Postby Ruckus2 on Tue Feb 13, 2018 7:33 pm

Don’t want us to “bling up” our unis. A few simple changes are fine but IMO everything we have and do should reflect who we are: classic, uncomplicated, strong, traditional, 1st class and team first. I think the new uni combos are ideas for consideration not a done deal yet. 20 different uni combos and special helmet packages ain’t us.
As for facilities, upgraded treatment and team areas would be great. As for player lounges, I am not a big fan as I don’t see the type of student athletes we attract will be suddenly sold on us based on a ping pong table or PlayStation in the locker room. At least I hope we recruit and attract more serious minded athletes who appreciate the real value that Wofford has to offer.
But if we can make a player’s experience at Wofford better, more valuable, and more usable in the future, by all means.
But then again I am the guy who says our offensive schemes are fine, so......
Ruckus2
True Terrier Fan

Postby Retiredterrier on Tue Feb 13, 2018 8:26 pm

This is at least part of the facility upgrades. I wish there were some live updates like with the JRIS when it was being built. The Training Room and Hydrotherapy Suite sound high tech and a good recruiting tool. http://www.wofford.edu/constructionupdates/richardson/
Retiredterrier
True Terrier Fan

Postby lawdog on Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:34 pm

Agree with Ruck. I would be against Taj Mahal for jocks and vanilla for everyone else. One of the best things about Wofford appears to me to be that all students interact well together and like it that way. See, the recent Matt Pegram interview (and others) where he says he likes the way Wofford lets everyone get to know everyone else, and be themselves ...Wofford way.
lawdog
True Terrier Fan

Postby WoCo65 on Wed Feb 14, 2018 3:38 pm

Ha,I remember back in the day when we dressed in Andrews Field House and played on Snyder Field! Our players' lounge was the training room or the old bleachers in AFH gym. I sound like the old man that tells the youngster "Back in my day, I had to walk 5 miles to get to school. And that was after I milked the cows and fed the chickens, and horses, and cleaned out the stalls!" My, how times have changed.

But, I agree with Ruckus as well - keep the uni's simple. No flash needed when you're running the ball down an opponents throat or stuffing their RB's and OL in the backfield.
WoCo65
True Terrier Fan

Postby boulder3m on Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:04 pm

You guys don't know anything, 65. In my day it was 5 miles to and from school and it was uphill in the snow both ways!

In all seriousness, the quickest way to lose the Board and other supporters would be to further separate the jocks from the student population. The coaches already try to keep athletes out of the Greek life and on campus for Interim. The more normal the student and athletes lives are at Wofford the more appreciated it will be. I notice we don't have names on uniforms in basketball either, and that is unique as well. Old School, Classic and Traditional should mean something in team sports; where those of us who grew up fighting dinosaurs feel like the TEAM is more important than the individual.
boulder3m
True Terrier Fan

Postby mudrat43 on Fri Feb 16, 2018 11:06 am

I had heard from some of my "street people" that there was talk of adding/modifying the WOF uniform status. Personally, I say, "bring it"! I'd love to see "shiny" gold helmets, all black for some games, chrome face guards, names on jerseys, just about anything to spice up the "look". New coach, new unis, new attitude, go get 'em!!
mudrat43
True Terrier Fan

Postby Oak Grove on Fri Feb 16, 2018 5:55 pm

Understated, classic uniforms not only are a cherished Wofford tradition at this point, but they also fit our institutional identity and set us apart from the fad-chasing crowd.

It is hard for me to imagine Wofford doing anything, even football unis, with ostentation. Nor would I want us to. Not us at all.
Oak Grove
True Terrier Fan

Postby youngterrier on Fri Feb 16, 2018 7:29 pm

I feel like there's some overinvestment/over-reading in this thread (already) about how much the average person who watches Wofford sports thinks about the jerseys.

No one is saying we're going to be Oregon. No one but Oregon does that, and that's because they have the Nike founder as a sugar daddy.

The whole "boring same-old jerseys is who we are" bit is definitely not the consensus. It's also common among fanbases (or loud minorities in fanbases) right before a change is made. I remember reading Georgia Southern boards saying similar things, and then they changed up a little bit and the changes were warmly received.

The jerseys we wear won't change the caliber of the character of athletes we recruit or how we play on the field.
Study hard, Work Hard, Party Hard, Go Terriers!
youngterrier
True Terrier Fan

Postby PeeDeeMan on Fri Feb 16, 2018 9:05 pm

If we are going to start dressing like Oregon, then maybe it’s a good thing that Vince McMahon is re-starting the XFL. Might be a better fit for the “new” Wofford than the SoCon.
PeeDeeMan
Terrier Pup

Postby dungeonjoe on Fri Feb 16, 2018 11:13 pm

I think what makes Wofford football distinctive is not the uniforms on the outside but the skill, intelligence, and character on the inside.
"There are things that you value and things that you will fight for. That is what today's all about. We fight for that short-haired dog and that name across your chest." Mike Ayers
dungeonjoe
True Terrier Fan

Postby Oak Grove on Sat Feb 17, 2018 12:04 am

To clarify, I was referring to a proud, timeless uniform design, not a "boring" one.
Oak Grove
True Terrier Fan

Return to Football