Wofford Coaching Search

Southern Conference Champions - 2003, 2007, 2010, 2012, 2017
FCS Playoffs - 2003, 2007, 2008, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2016
FCS Playoff Semifinalists - 2003
FCS Playoff Quarterfinalists- 2016, 2017

Moderators: BestOfBreed, dungeonjoe

Re: Wofford Coaching Search

Postby mudrat43 on Fri Jan 05, 2018 11:40 am

IMO, if changes are coming in the WOF offensive scheme, now is the time to do it. All the other teams in the SoCon will not have a clue as to what offense is coming at them. Unless of course they have some insider info about the new HC's philosophy. No wholesale changes need to be made right away, but running different plays from todays formations seems the best bet. I have no doubt that with the skill level WOF has right now, those players can and will execute whatever offense is given them.
mudrat43
True Terrier Fan

Postby walliver on Fri Jan 05, 2018 2:07 pm

mudrat43 wrote:IMO, if changes are coming in the WOF offensive scheme, now is the time to do it. All the other teams in the SoCon will not have a clue as to what offense is coming at them. Unless of course they have some insider info about the new HC's philosophy. No wholesale changes need to be made right away, but running different plays from todays formations seems the best bet. I have no doubt that with the skill level WOF has right now, those players can and will execute whatever offense is given them.

That strategy "worked" for Furman, except when they played well-coached defenses.

Our offensive philosophy has always included a few new wrinkles every year. There was a period when we seemed to bring in a new formation most years when we played App State. Unfortunately, some of that innovation has been lost the last few years. What has been most frustrating about the issue is that Wade Lang has been innovative in the past and at times calls great offensive games (FU #2 this year comes to mind). Hopefully with a new HC, he will regain some of that creativity. Our post-Breitenstein offense has not been as successful as our pre-EB offense. I still wonder what really went on with the coaching staff during the quarterback-by-committee year (2015).
walliver
True Terrier Fan

Postby mudrat43 on Sat Jan 06, 2018 11:28 am

Agree....in 2015 there did seem to be some disturbance in the "force" from beginning to end of the season. It just seemed there was an abundance of indecision. Hope that sort of thing doesn't come around again!
mudrat43
True Terrier Fan

Postby WocoSix on Sun Jan 07, 2018 6:23 pm

Read an article that stated 3 internal coaches interviewed for HC position. Also talks that we are not done with staff attrition and additions. Also noticed that we have another Wofford coach (Da'vell Winters) on the Pitt staff.
WocoSix
True Terrier Fan

Postby Oak Grove on Sun Jan 07, 2018 10:08 pm

Is a "quality control" gopher considered a coach? Winters needs to clean up his bio on the Pitt website because he never "had a stint as the Terriers’ safeties coach."
Oak Grove
True Terrier Fan

Postby SmallTownTerrier on Sun Jan 07, 2018 10:34 pm

Hearing Riase to GT with Woody... Also have heard rumor Nash no longer on staff? Any confirmations?

Side Note... Hodges is leaving VMI (QB) and going to North AL, who is going FCS and joining Big South.
SmallTownTerrier
True Terrier Fan

Postby WocoSix on Sun Jan 07, 2018 11:46 pm

STT I heard the same names but didn't want to put it out. Nash and Riase are some big shoes to fill if turns out to be true. Haven't heard about Wood either and he is the recruiting coordinator. Seen very little action on the recruiting trail. Wheeler only one seen on the road
WocoSix
True Terrier Fan

Postby SmallTownTerrier on Sun Jan 07, 2018 11:59 pm

Dead Period runs through Jan.11... Can’t be out recruiting... I think I saw the same tweet you did where Wheeler was in a recruits tweet picture but I think that was a picture from back in December... Contact Period opens January 12 through rest of month... I would also think we would use the next 3 weekends for official visits on campus for the kids we are trying to sign in early February.
SmallTownTerrier
True Terrier Fan

Postby walliver on Tue Jan 09, 2018 10:58 am

I'd hate to lose Nash, but, if he wants to move on beyond being a position coach, he probably needs to make a move. If Wade Lang stays, he probably has another ten years as OC. A problem with a very stable coaching staff is that there is very little room for promotion.
walliver
True Terrier Fan

Postby lawdog on Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:57 am

NCA&T's coach Rod Broadway retired today at 62, after a good career and undefeated season. At the same time his long time assistant coach was announced as the new head coach.
lawdog
True Terrier Fan

Postby WocoSix on Tue Jan 09, 2018 8:08 pm

Former USC QB Connor Shaw joins staff at Furman. Another one with FBS and NFL knowledge on staff. Just saying I have seen Tajh Boyd at a few Wofford games.... :roll:

https://www.seccountry.com/south-caroli ... -at-furman
WocoSix
True Terrier Fan

Postby walliver on Wed Jan 10, 2018 10:55 am

WocoSix wrote:Former USC QB Connor Shaw joins staff at Furman. Another one with FBS and NFL knowledge on staff. Just saying I have seen Tajh Boyd at a few Wofford games.... :roll:

https://www.seccountry.com/south-caroli ... -at-furman

I just hope the Pukes don't go after Jalen Hurts.
walliver
True Terrier Fan

Postby Retiredterrier on Wed Jan 10, 2018 6:06 pm

Just looked at the 2018 roster and noticed that Conklin is shown to be HC. Bad news is that Gasparato is absent from the roster. That is not good as he was a good one. I hope there are not any other departures. On the other hand that is the nature of college football now - coaches moving around every year.
Retiredterrier
True Terrier Fan

Postby boulder3m on Wed Jan 10, 2018 6:15 pm

Sorry I didn't post this earlier, as I thought it was old news.

https://247sports.com/college/appalachi ... -113223320
boulder3m
True Terrier Fan

Postby Oak Grove on Thu Jan 11, 2018 12:12 am

Retiredterrier wrote:Just looked at the 2018 roster and noticed that Conklin is shown to be HC. Bad news is that Gasparato is absent from the roster. That is not good as he was a good one. I hope there are not any other departures. On the other hand that is the nature of college football now - coaches moving around every year.

Where did you see a 2018 roster?
Oak Grove
True Terrier Fan

PreviousNext

Return to Football