Wofford Coaching Search

Southern Conference Champions - 2003, 2007, 2010, 2012, 2017
FCS Playoffs - 2003, 2007, 2008, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2016
FCS Playoff Semifinalists - 2003
FCS Playoff Quarterfinalists- 2016, 2017

Moderators: BestOfBreed, dungeonjoe

Re: Wofford Coaching Search

Postby WocoSix on Sat Dec 30, 2017 1:14 pm

Agreed Boulder there is tons of talent returning. I expected a drop off in defense with a new coordinator. But I thought we would see a progression on that side of the ball getting better as the season went on. This years personnel on defense was leaps and bounds better than any school in conference, but turn on the film and our guys looked average at best. I was expecting Miles Brown, Tyler Vaughn, Terrance Morris, Malik Rivera, Datavius Wilson to have big seasons. But it just seemed they were under utilized.

I love Joe Newman and his athleticism, but don't write off Miller Mosley. I think we are going to have a competition in the offseason between these two. If a new coach comes in I think both are great options to run a RPO offense. If we stick with the Wing Option that Coach Lang has mastered, the loss of Roo Daniels, Ross Demmel, Chuck Rouse, and Jacon-Duffy concerns me. The blocking schemes for an RPO would seem simple compared to the complicated schemes that our OL at Wofford have. May be an easier transition for the underclassmen replacing those SR's.
WocoSix
True Terrier Fan

Postby boulder3m on Sat Dec 30, 2017 1:42 pm

I said before this season that I would like to see a way to get both QB's on the field at the same time. Next year it would even be more fun. Miller Mosely can throw the ball, and Newman would be a threat in open spaces regardless of how we get him there. I don't know if he can catch the ball, but it would be a fun option for us. As was said earlier, we just need to use the abilities of the personnel we have.
boulder3m
True Terrier Fan

Postby T-Dog 4 on Tue Jan 02, 2018 2:14 pm

To educate a man in mind and not in morals is to educate a menace to society.
-Theodore Roosevelt
T-Dog 4
True Terrier Fan

Postby mudrat43 on Tue Jan 02, 2018 5:45 pm

OK folks, what say ye about this pick? How long will he stay? What offensive scheme will it be? Will the recruits like this? In general, what can we expect?
mudrat43
True Terrier Fan

Postby WocoSix on Tue Jan 02, 2018 7:23 pm

Personally I like the pick. A fresh set of eyes and some one with a pulse on what current offenses (UTC, Samford, Mercer,WCU, ETSU) are doing schematically. Yes we won the SoCon, but most by less than a TD. And if Wofford didn't change those schools mentioned above would surpass us because of what they are building with their Soph and Frosh QB's. We would be left in the bottom of the pack in a few years. Offensively it all depends on if Conklin want so to keep the offensive identity. If so, in my opinion, most of the offensive staff would be asked to remain. Doesn't mean they wouldn't choose to leave on their own, especially if Conklin chooses another style offense. Defensively, Conklin has run everything schematically from the Wofford 3-4, 4-3 under Narduzzi at Pitt, and the experiment with 4-2-5 at UT and FIU. So there is no telling what he will choose to implement at Wofford. As for the defensive staff in my opinion coaches Riase and Gasparato are 2 of the better recruiters we have on that side of the ball. No telling if Conklin wants to reach back to his most productive defenses at FIU to bring in someone to help implement his defense or if he feels he has enough on staff to get the job done.
WocoSix
True Terrier Fan

Postby SmallTownTerrier on Tue Jan 02, 2018 7:33 pm

Hearing Gasparato to Appy and Riase to GT... Hearing, not confirmed.
SmallTownTerrier
True Terrier Fan

Postby Ruckus on Tue Jan 02, 2018 8:07 pm

Ugh.
Hate losing them both especially Riase.
Ruckus
True Terrier Fan

Postby lawdog on Tue Jan 02, 2018 8:34 pm

+1.
lawdog
True Terrier Fan

Postby WocoSix on Tue Jan 02, 2018 9:52 pm

Don't know about Riase to GT as Nate Woody has not been formerly announced as DC. Ga Tech already has a veteran DL coach with ACC and SEC experience. I would be afraid of any DL coaching movement within the Ga State ,App State, or Ohio area programs though. Same can be said for Gasparato with ASU and GSU. I could actually see Riase having the co-DC removed from his title and Rob Greene promoted to DB's coach. If Gasparato does depart, Wheeler is on staff and could take over LB duties. Currently he is only responsible for OLB's
WocoSix
True Terrier Fan

Postby Ruckus on Wed Jan 03, 2018 1:52 pm

Anybody know how we acces the press conference online today?
Ruckus
True Terrier Fan

Postby youngterrier on Wed Jan 03, 2018 1:54 pm

it'll likely be on facebook or youtube through the Wofford terriers accounts
Study hard, Work Hard, Party Hard, Go Terriers!
youngterrier
True Terrier Fan

Postby dungeonjoe on Wed Jan 03, 2018 2:03 pm

power failure in the press room 5 minutes prior to announcement...via twitter.
"There are things that you value and things that you will fight for. That is what today's all about. We fight for that short-haired dog and that name across your chest." Mike Ayers
dungeonjoe
True Terrier Fan

Postby youngterrier on Wed Jan 03, 2018 2:06 pm

it's on now on facebook and twitter
Study hard, Work Hard, Party Hard, Go Terriers!
youngterrier
True Terrier Fan

Postby Retiredterrier on Wed Jan 03, 2018 2:28 pm

Very impressive IMHO. When I first heard that he was selected as HC I knew very little about him. But since then my impression of him has increased by everything that I have read and viewed. I am excited that he is our new HC.
https://www.facebook.com/WoffordTerrier ... 190843097/
Retiredterrier
True Terrier Fan

Postby boulder3m on Wed Jan 03, 2018 4:22 pm

Add this to the introduction today.

http://www.goupstate.com/news/20180103/ ... to-pass-up
boulder3m
True Terrier Fan

PreviousNext

Return to Football