Chattanooga

Southern Conference Champions - 2003, 2007, 2010, 2012, 2017
FCS Playoffs - 2003, 2007, 2008, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2016
FCS Playoff Semifinalists - 2003
FCS Playoff Quarterfinalists- 2016

Moderators: BestOfBreed, dungeonjoe

Re: Chattanooga

Postby boulder3m on Sat Nov 04, 2017 4:56 pm

If you want some fun, N Dak St v S Dak St ; and S Das v Nor Iowa are both on the cable system. Close games with implications for us.
boulder3m
True Terrier Fan

Postby gofurman on Sat Nov 04, 2017 6:40 pm

That 2 point play was the EXACT same one my Furman guys ran. We just didn't block one of you DL. And we faked a timeout, UTC ran it under center I think... but exact play - I was actually shocked when I saw the lineup for that. Watched on ESPN3 - I started thinking, WOff has seen that exact play !!! but UTC blocked it better than we did

Anyway, I exchange a few posts w Youngterrier (we both try to be objective - he is very good at that) over on AnyGivenSaturday and he is of the opinion Woff will win the SoCon (which you will - CONGRATS!!, we MAY tie you but you get the autobid - both are Socon champs / autobid is a different thing) but he thinks you will lose in first round of playoffs. ( I have doubts my FU guys win the next two anyway. I think we get one and may be in playoffs.. different discussion)

I am not trying to pile on but I have watched objectively for several games now. Scouting Citadel I saw you guys win with a super game-winning drive through the AIR (kudos on that !!) because you had a rushing TOTAL of EIGHTY yards. Eighty total rush yards??? For Wofford?? ( note that I am giving Wofford credit when I post that as that number astounded me). If you were bad like ETSU or VMI then I wouldn't think twice if I saw 80 rush yards.. Then today I watch Western rush for 250 against the same Citadel defense.

I do think the injuries on the DL and to Wilson hurt you more than people want to admit. It allows UTC to keep drives alive which keeps Wofford's O off the field. You MO is to keep your O on the field and wear the other D down. By late 2nd half and OT you had accomplished this. Plust that is an improved UTC team - the QB now has 5 starts and Dale Warren at LB is a probable NFL guy who didn't play per suspension until just lately. I was a little surprised no one mentioned that. That dude is a beast. Projected 5th/6th rounder

ANyway, NOT piling on. You won. At worst, you are SoCon co-champs and the autobid is yours. congrats!

Just curious why you think the O has stagnated lately? I have watched a few games and it seems to have become a struggle to move the ball ... vs Citadel and today. Thoughts? ( and your D is playing pretty well. Beat Cit 20-16 and today the regulation was 21-21 w Chatt. )
go paladins
Socon's winningest program
88' national champions
85' 01' national finalists
gofurman
True Terrier Fan

Postby 19TERRIER19 on Sat Nov 04, 2017 6:49 pm

SoCon CHAMPS
19TERRIER19
True Terrier Fan

Postby youngterrier on Sat Nov 04, 2017 6:51 pm

We aren't there yet.

I need not remind you guys that the last time we lost to VMI, it kept us out of the playoffs and out of a piece of the Socon crown.

We're not playing the kind of ball to take anyone for granted.

We aren't good enough by any measure.
Study hard, Work Hard, Party Hard, Go Terriers!
youngterrier
True Terrier Fan

Postby gofurman on Sat Nov 04, 2017 7:31 pm

19, I didn't come here to rile you up. no need to be defensive. A Win is a win. Congrats. though you have a game to go before you are SoCon champs. VMI beat you as noted above some years back in a similar scenario... but you should win it. You SHOULD. Of course, we have all watched crazy happen - see Ohio State today?? but YT and others have expressed concern over the O. I was just asking. And if FU wins out (I don't think we will) we are BOTH SoCon champs. you just have the Autobid, that's the difference. I SAY AGAIN, I don't think FU will win out - I think we win one, you are SoCon champs. But if we both make the playoffs, it was Youngterrier over on AGS saying he doesn't think Woff can win the first playoff game.. which is still a great year.

Just wondering what has been the decline on O. The D looks nice. I realize your son plays offense - I don't think he is the issue :D .... To me something on the OL is missing perhaps. I will say the one QB slings a good ball (Goodman?) but the faster QB (newman I think) gives a better option game but misses some wide open recvrs that hurts the offense. Not sure who was throwing on the one play I recall but you all had a WIDE OPEN recvr in the end zone that was missed on an over throw. That said, it's the running game that is declining. 80 yards rushing v Citadel? Noting that 80 yards is an aberration is a COMPLIMENT to Wofford- you all usually get 200 - 300 yards rushing no matter the opponent. Something is missing in the run game in my humble opinion.
go paladins
Socon's winningest program
88' national champions
85' 01' national finalists
gofurman
True Terrier Fan

Postby 19TERRIER19 on Sat Nov 04, 2017 7:57 pm

What from my post makes you feel that you riled me up or that I’m defensive about your post.
19TERRIER19
True Terrier Fan

Postby 19TERRIER19 on Sat Nov 04, 2017 8:05 pm

We have nothing to be defensive about. 9 games in and we have 1 blemish. Which we should have never let happen. But....it’s about any given Saturday, a couple or 7 fumbles later or a couple SoCon calls laters and you have a loss. That’s what riles me up is that this team actually took a loss......especially when it wasn’t necessary.

But to address the Furman faithful or the WOFFORD closet Furman faithful. I don’t have any fear whatsoever of your team. We played and beat that team. Just like 7 other teams on the schedule. Did we play it close and let a Game be closer than it should.....SURE.....it’s apparebtly what we do. Our M O if you will.

But.....on to the next one......Beat VMI and we Are the SOCON CHAMPS!!!! Was our plan all along and we have done exactly what we set out to do........we will let all the others discuss the aesthetic beauty of wins and losses. Meanwhile....let the SoCon all be VMI fans this week coming.....like Chatt fans this week....like ETSU fams last week.....and it’s been that way all season.
19TERRIER19
True Terrier Fan

Postby Ruckus on Sat Nov 04, 2017 8:44 pm

If we win, we will get the autobid and be seeded. They will not. We cut that purple butt.
Whatever.
8-1. Everyone is beside themselves because it isn’t pretty; not “Wofford football”; never seen an Ayers team like this etc.
You’re exactly right....because there has not been but 1 Ayers team that has been 8-1 or better (2003). And even that team didn’t have the expectations and wear the bullseye like this team has since week 1. So you’re right...this IS uncharted territory for us. As indicated by the incessant handwringing, negative whining, sky is falling mantra of this board for the last 2 months.
Shut up and enjoy it for gosh sakes.
WE ARE 8 AND FREAKING 1. LET’S BE HAPPY!!!!! Because it doesn’t happen very often.
Ruckus
True Terrier Fan

Postby dungeonjoe on Sat Nov 04, 2017 8:50 pm

Ruckus wrote:If we win, we will get the autobid and be seeded. They will not. We cut that purple butt.
Whatever.
8-1. Everyone is beside themselves because it isn’t pretty; not “Wofford football”; never seen an Ayers team like this etc.
You’re exactly right....because there has not been but 1 Ayers team that has been 8-1 or better (2003). And even that team didn’t have the expectations and wear the bullseye like this team has since week 1. So you’re right...this IS uncharted territory for us. As indicated by the incessant handwringing, negative whining, sky is falling mantra of this board for the last 2 months.
WE ARE 8 AND FREAKING 1. LET’S BE HAPPY!!!!! Because it doesn’t happen very often.

as much as these games are uncomfortable to watch, you are right.
"There are things that you value and things that you will fight for. That is what today's all about. We fight for that short-haired dog and that name across your chest." Mike Ayers
dungeonjoe
True Terrier Fan

Postby 19TERRIER19 on Sat Nov 04, 2017 8:50 pm

Whatever.

My brother........YEP
19TERRIER19
True Terrier Fan

Postby lawdog on Sat Nov 04, 2017 9:16 pm

I was fortunate to be at the game today. A few thoughts.

Our DB's tackle much better than they used to. Chatt completed numerous passes in space and we almost always got them down quickly and efficiently for little or no gain.

The refs were missing calls to our detriment all day, and gave us numerous very poor spots. What was that about?

Chatt has a good team. They are huge and physical, they have talented receivers, and their QB has really improved. They played almost mistake free. A win against them, even in 2OT, is one I am proud of.

Our guys fought and played hard all day. We had several really costly penalties and an overthrown pass for a sure TD, yet we still won. There is a LOT of heart and competitive spirit in our young men. Holy smokes what a game, and win.

We could execute the option better ... some bad decisions and not always crisp. And where was that quick toss to the outside that saved us last game?

We were finally wearing them down on D when the game ended due in part to the fact that Stoddard is becoming a beast.
lawdog
True Terrier Fan

Postby youngterrier on Sat Nov 04, 2017 9:37 pm

counterpoint: Stoddard is already a beast
Study hard, Work Hard, Party Hard, Go Terriers!
youngterrier
True Terrier Fan

Postby Peachy Carnahan on Sat Nov 04, 2017 10:12 pm

8-1 baby!!
Peachy Carnahan
Junior Terrier

Postby crabbyterrier on Sat Nov 04, 2017 10:48 pm

Ruckus wrote:If we win, we will get the autobid and be seeded. They will not. We cut that purple butt.
Whatever.

I don't think there are any fans that are unhappy about being 8-1. I think the frustration and anger being posted on this board are due to the poor coaching at times that is putting our players behind the "8 ball" too many times in too many games. It's not fair to them.
If you can't pee with the BIG DOGS,
stay out of the tall grass!
crabbyterrier
True Terrier Fan

Postby fgs44 on Sat Nov 04, 2017 11:05 pm

We are one win away from being undisputed champions of the SoCon. When we beat VMI next week, we will receive an auto bid to the play-offs. When we beat SC the next week by one point, we will receive a seed--just saying- :D
fgs44
True Terrier Fan

PreviousNext

Return to Football