GAMEDAY!!!!!!!! (WESTERN CAROLINA EDITION)

Southern Conference Champions - 2003, 2007, 2010, 2012, 2017
FCS Playoffs - 2003, 2007, 2008, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2016
FCS Playoff Semifinalists - 2003
FCS Playoff Quarterfinalists- 2016, 2017

Moderators: dungeonjoe, BestOfBreed

Re: GAMEDAY!!!!!!!! (WESTERN CAROLINA EDITION)

Postby Retiredterrier on Sat Oct 07, 2017 6:25 pm

I agree 19 WCU is definitely one of the tops teams. I would say #2 is correct and very close to #1.

I have a question that I invite anyone to chime in and give your opinion even if you do not know the answer. Ok Roo has been out until this game. Jeresaty IMHO has played well but he does not have the experience that Roo has. So naturally how could Jeresaty play as well as Roo ? That would be very difficult. Not knocking Jeresaty at all. Just saying that Roo has or should have a decided advantage based on his experience. He definitely has been a leader or maybe THE leader of the OL over the past few years. So he starts this game for the first time and the O is playing much better. Moving the ball methodically in the usual Wofford style - the first time this year that the Terrier O has played like this. So did Roo make that much difference ? Was he the reason that we played so well ? I am a little skeptical that he made that much difference. After all we have made progress it seems each week and so maybe today just was another day of improvement regardless of whether Roo or Jeresaty started. I am glad that the Terriers pulled it out. It seems we are getting closer to playing at the top of our game.

If we could just cut down on the penalties !!
Retiredterrier
True Terrier Fan

Postby SmallTownTerrier on Sat Oct 07, 2017 6:46 pm

Combination... Very good to have him back... Also, I feel Western needs to continue to tighten up defense... That will be Achilles Heel until they fix it... It was today... They couldn't get off the field when needed.

Side note... Youngstown lost... #4 headed to Charleston
SmallTownTerrier
Junior Terrier

Postby youngterrier on Sat Oct 07, 2017 6:50 pm

Retiredterrier wrote:I agree 19 WCU is definitely one of the tops teams. I would say #2 is correct and very close to #1.

I have a question that I invite anyone to chime in and give your opinion even if you do not know the answer. Ok Roo has been out until this game. Jeresaty IMHO has played well but he does not have the experience that Roo has. So naturally how could Jeresaty play as well as Roo ? That would be very difficult. Not knocking Jeresaty at all. Just saying that Roo has or should have a decided advantage based on his experience. He definitely has been a leader or maybe THE leader of the OL over the past few years. So he starts this game for the first time and the O is playing much better. Moving the ball methodically in the usual Wofford style - the first time this year that the Terrier O has played like this. So did Roo make that much difference ? Was he the reason that we played so well ? I am a little skeptical that he made that much difference. After all we have made progress it seems each week and so maybe today just was another day of improvement regardless of whether Roo or Jeresaty started. I am glad that the Terriers pulled it out. It seems we are getting closer to playing at the top of our game.

If we could just cut down on the penalties !!

the short answer is that 1) you can't give too much attribution to one player (except for maybe QB) when discerning any team's success and 2) Western has an average, perhaps even below-average offense.

It's hard to say how good our offense is. Goodson has played out of his mind this year and he's only getting better.
Study hard, Work Hard, Party Hard, Go Terriers!
youngterrier
True Terrier Fan

Postby boulder3m on Sat Oct 07, 2017 8:13 pm

Don't know the status, but Roo appeared to have a significant wrist or arm injury. With everyone else celebrating at the end he was being carted off.
Just arrived home. One of the great games at Gibbs. While there are a lot of questions, the fact is that our guys found another way to win. WCU is for real, and they will most likely continue to be in the conference. They should roll over a lot of teams, because that is what their offense is built to do. Our defense, for the most part, played a very strong game today. Sure, we gave up a bunch of yards and points, but we limited their possessions and stopped them in several clutch situations. Adams is a warrior, and we hit him over and over when he chose to run. Evidently the plan was to not let Newsome beat us, and our guys did a great job of that. Our secondary played lights out. Their long pass was perfectly thrown and caught, and I was impressed with how we kept our heads up.
OK, on offense we had an interesting game. Personally I thought that when the fourth quarter arrived we were having our way with the WCU defense. Then, somehow, we made a series of calls that were hard to understand. WCU couldn't stop Stoddard, and I think I would have made them stop him before going away from him. Goodson played a solid game, and showed more quickness and foot speed. The dropped or missed passes were devastating. There were one or two scores missed there. The officiating crew was strange. There was never a call that they didn't have to debate, except the flag the ref threw on the late hit after the side judge was right there in the middle of it. Over 210 yds of total penalties on the two best teams in the league is out of line. I will go back and watch the game again tonight, but I am VERY proud of our guys (and of my wife for sitting through the rain with me)!
YT- Your analysis of possessions, play calls and decisions will be interesting on this game. We held the ball MUCH longer than them and had MANY more plays, yet I thought the clock management in both halves was very poor. We didn't use the clock when we should have, and we didn't stop it when we should. Strange. When we are trying to shorten the game, why are we snapping it when there are more than 15 seconds left on the play clock? WCU was playing hurry up; no reason to play into their game plan.
boulder3m
True Terrier Fan

Postby youngterrier on Sat Oct 07, 2017 8:33 pm

I thought this game was the inverse of the norm this year: playcalling by the coaches bailed out poor execution by the players. The passes were well-called (I only objected to one play call in the first half, but even then it wasn't terrible), but it was the players who dropped them, not the coaches.

We only messed up clock management in the second half. Had Blake Morgan or Macaffee (I can't remember) went out of bounds, we may have not gone to OT.

As many yards as we gave up, we only gave up 350. To me, if I'm reading a stat sheet and a team only gets 350 yards, that's a "good" game for the offense, and a so-so game for the defense. Having said, that, given Western averaging over 500 yards of offense a game, that was definitely a good game for us. Even if we gave up 150ish yards rushing, that was still about 1/2 of their average. We did a good down shutting down their RB after the first quarter, and most of their yards came from the QB after that.

At one point in the first half, Western had 4 drives for 13 yards. It can't be understated how much the defensive coaching stuff adjusted. Western probably had about 1/3 of their yardage in the first quarter or their first 3 possessions.
youngterrier
True Terrier Fan

Postby youngterrier on Sat Oct 07, 2017 8:35 pm

Also, one absolutely stunning stat: We only had 3 plays of negative rush yards today. The fumble, and the two option plays where Goodson made the right move and ate it. Every other rush play was for positive yards. That's amazing. I think Western's gameplan was to shut down the perimeter, but the fullback dive killed it. That's what you want to see
youngterrier
True Terrier Fan

Postby dungeonjoe on Sat Oct 07, 2017 8:44 pm

The perimeter and the passing attempts softened up the middle for the fullback dive. Also our O-line was awesome today. Roo in the middle made a difference. I think the weather was a factor. I saw slipping and falls in coverage.
"There are things that you value and things that you will fight for. That is what today's all about. We fight for that short-haired dog and that name across your chest." Mike Ayers
dungeonjoe
True Terrier Fan

Postby crabbyterrier on Sat Oct 07, 2017 11:26 pm

Just talked to Roo. He said he cracked a bone in his forearm. He is having minor
Surgery tomorrow morning to have a plate put in. He said he thinks he will only be out a week. Don't know about that. He insisted it was a minor procedure. He was in good spirits.

We are still digging deep when it counts and pulling out the win!!! Has to be a confidence boost for the players!!! Bring on El Cid. See y'all in Chucktown!

Go TERRIERS!!!
If you can't pee with the BIG DOGS,
stay out of the tall grass!
crabbyterrier
True Terrier Fan

Postby boulder3m on Sat Oct 07, 2017 11:31 pm

Their Newsome was considered the premier rusher in the league. He had one long run for 27 yards in the first half. Other than that he had a total of 42 yards on 12 carries. That is stuffing a star.
On the other hand, we had at least 4 passing plays that were wide open and we failed to connect. That should give the coaches a pretty comfortable feeling that we can pass the ball and score. Connect and that line opens for the runners even more. McAfee is a total stud. He got late and then came back and made that great run to start the OT.
Thanks, Crabby. It appeared that he broke something. Hope that his self appraisal is true! Would love to have him back this year.
boulder3m
True Terrier Fan

Postby youngterrier on Sat Oct 07, 2017 11:46 pm

Even if Roo is out longer than a week, I would imagine we haven't seen the last of him this season.
youngterrier
True Terrier Fan

Postby Shorthair13 on Sun Oct 08, 2017 10:29 am

Many really good points have been brought out on yesterday's game. What we did well...what we still need to work on..ect. But... what I would like bring out has nothing to do with what takes place out on the field but what takes place in the stands. More than once you could hear the WC fans chanting "Defense" during the game. Or "RISE TO THEIR FEET" for much needed stop or a big first down. We are at home and have a larger crowd but the visiting teams fans are louder in every aspect. Even when the teams run out onto the field. In our stands during the same type of situations you will find only a few on their feet and barley heard. I'm sure the team appreciates the support of the fans by coming to the game but I'm sure they would appreciate it even more if we would "RISE TO OUR FEET" and be heard. You see the players on the field raising their hands for the fans to stand and to get loud but only a few rise....We always read on this forum on the things the team needs to work on and how they can improve. If I'm a player, I'm asking the fans to improve by "RISING TO YOUR FEET" and being heard. The players deserve as much!!!
Shorthair13
Terrier Pup

Postby Ruckus on Sun Oct 08, 2017 10:34 am

+1
Ruckus
True Terrier Fan

Postby Ruckus on Sun Oct 08, 2017 10:36 am

....and get out of the Veranda lot and get in the stands so you can be a part of the game and the team can hear you.
Ruckus
True Terrier Fan

Postby boulder3m on Sun Oct 08, 2017 10:43 am

There was a big guy in the seats in our section-H4-who was dancing and leading cheers the whole game. We need more like him in the stands imploring the fans to get behind the team. Love to see someone pick out a few like him and ask them (and perhaps reward them with something) to be unofficail cheer leaders. I know yesterday was miserable weather in the first half, but the lack of support was somewhat embarrassing.

One other thought on the ending of the game. Gbessee's interception was spectacular, but remember the defense had WCU in a dire situation. It was third down and 8 with a "must make a touchdown" scenario. In the second half we had them in tough situations a lot. The D is becoming a force. This coming week should be fun to watch.
boulder3m
True Terrier Fan

Postby mudrat43 on Sun Oct 08, 2017 11:59 am

What a game, what a team effort, agree with all of you guys above! Very proud Terrier fan!
mudrat43
True Terrier Fan

PreviousNext

Return to Football