Offensive Playcalling is what makes us not-great

Southern Conference Champions - 2003, 2007, 2010, 2012, 2017
FCS Playoffs - 2003, 2007, 2008, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2016
FCS Playoff Semifinalists - 2003
FCS Playoff Quarterfinalists- 2016, 2017

Moderators: BestOfBreed, dungeonjoe

Offensive Playcalling is what makes us not-great

Postby youngterrier on Sat Sep 30, 2017 8:19 pm

It's halftime and I don't think we'll lose this game against PC. With that said, I think we need a pow wow.

Last year we made the playoffs and 3 games in, with the games being wins, I kept silent. But I can't, because this is PC and PC is terrible.

What's holding back our team isn't execution of talent. It's playcalling. It's mismanagement. It's trying to be more creative than we need to to win. For example, why take Newman out in the middle of a series when he's doing okay? I understand Goodson's strengths compared to Newman, but it also gives away the play call.

Why do we pass on first down and second and long? Admittedly we have a proven pass game, but the time, place and manner is just dumb.

When we're trying to do hurry up, why call a trick play that's just a screen to a running back? I'm not against running a screen play, or a trick play, or that play in particular, but such a play takes time to develop and bunches players together.

Defense is playing fine and quite frankly, but PC plays offense like they don't want to win.

Going in, I said if we won by 4 TDs or scored 40, I'd consider it a good performance. We aren't on pace to do that. Take away the big run by Morgan, and we only have about 120 yards of offense on just under 30 plays. That's unacceptable.

Now I have no doubt Coach Ayers is breaking clipboards in the locker room, but this effort is embarrassingly bad. Cumberland played better offensively. Once again, we're a bubble team, but I think our offense, particularly the playcalling is what's holding us back
Study hard, Work Hard, Party Hard, Go Terriers!
youngterrier
True Terrier Fan

Re: Offensive Playcalling is what makes us not-great

Postby youngterrier on Sat Sep 30, 2017 8:25 pm

Further: We relinquished offensive creativity at least 5 years ago. Some would argue it graduated with EB, but I would say it disappeared in 2011 or so
Study hard, Work Hard, Party Hard, Go Terriers!
youngterrier
True Terrier Fan

Return to Football