Big Game

Southern Conference Champions - 2003, 2007, 2010, 2012, 2017
FCS Playoffs - 2003, 2007, 2008, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2016
FCS Playoff Semifinalists - 2003
FCS Playoff Quarterfinalists- 2016

Moderators: BestOfBreed, dungeonjoe

Big Game

Postby fgs44 on Wed Nov 02, 2005 9:44 am

Every conference game is a big game. Last weeks game was huge, but winning it means this weeks game now becomes bigger. A win here may put us into the top 25, setting us up for a showdown with Furman. A win by GSU this week over Furman will put Furman and Wofford on the field with 2 conference losses. A win over Furman puts us into a tie with GSU, with App State and W. Carolina playing a natural rivalry game with huge consequences for App, whether they win or lose. Under this scenario, lose and they have a three way tie for the conference championship. Win, and they have the conference title locked up, the auto bid for the play-offs, and Furman, GSU, and Wofford are dependent on the selection committee.(We all know what that means). However, if there is a three way tie, and three conference teams sharing in the title, I would think that all three would be selected.
fgs44
True Terrier Fan

Postby terrierbob on Wed Nov 02, 2005 1:55 pm

GS may have a slim chance since it's in Statesboro.
terrierbob

Postby gofurman on Wed Nov 02, 2005 11:13 pm

um, GS is picked by Matt and Sagarin to beat us and I agree...it's in the boro, they are completely different down there, ...they are (and i am not smacking you) a different team since early in the year now that their QB has picked up the O (as a matter of fact that is kudos to mike a on getting your qb ready - gsu qbs always seem to struggle early while yours don't)...they have been killing western (who we lost to and the citadel (who we beat in triple OT...and the app game their qb wwas hurt - he didn't even play the first two series...and we all know how important the qb is to that type of offense..so they haven't lost but once since you all and that was with foster hurt...i say it is easy to see how they win it...they put up 600 some yards last week on a team that lost to montana 7-0 !!!!
go paladins
Socon's winningest program
88' national champions
85' 01' national finalists
gofurman
True Terrier Fan

Postby BestOfBreed on Thu Nov 03, 2005 12:18 am

GSU can't stop the run. Plain and simple.
BestOfBreed
Site Admin

Postby gofurman on Sat Nov 05, 2005 11:51 pm

BestOfBreed wrote:GSU can't stop the run. Plain and simple.

i only wish you had been right...they are a different team now than when you all played them...they are young on D - as you saw - but are improving and their O is getting rolling now with the new QB picking it up...i think gsu, app, and furman are about even honestly...
go paladins
88' national champions
gofurman
True Terrier Fan

Postby BestOfBreed on Sun Nov 06, 2005 8:58 am

gofurman wrote:i only wish you had been right...they are a different team now than when you all played them...they are young on D - as you saw - but are improving and their O is getting rolling now with the new QB picking it up...i think gsu, app, and furman are about even honestly...

They must be a different team than the week before since SD State ran on them. App State beat them by running the football.

Foster ran the football well against us too... the difference being your guys kept trying to arm tackle and that won't cut it against GSU.
BestOfBreed
Site Admin

Postby gofurman on Sun Nov 06, 2005 10:17 am

look i see what you are saying but that SDSU comment is a one-game coment and they were prolly looking ahead to us and SDSU put up 50+ yesterday too i think...here are gsu last scores ( amore representativer example)

UT-Chattanooga W 48-10 2-2 (1-1)
October 1 at Elon University W 49-7 3-2 (2-1)
October 8 Western Carolina W 45-7 4-2 (3-1)
October 15 at Appalachian St. L 24-7 4-3 (3-2)
October 22 The Citadel W 49-14 5-3 (4-2)
October 29 at South Dakota St W 55-42 6-3 (4-2)
November 5 Furman W 27-24 7-3 (5-2)

look at UTC , elon, WESTERN, Citadel...all v impressive....anyway, according to your logic (one game)...since we can't beat gsu and you could you should be favored to beat us this week too... i mean, we can't beat a team that can't stop the run at all? and we got run all over...this should be easy for you
go paladins
88' national champions
gofurman
True Terrier Fan

Postby gofurman on Sun Nov 06, 2005 10:24 am

look, i think what is being missed here is how much their O has improved..look at what they did to good western (and you should know that after yesterday) and UTC teams...they put up big points...45 and 48, geez!!!!...they woudl not have put up those kind of O numbers early in the year...foster has learned and again he was held out of the start of the app game as he was hurt so in the last 7 games? i think they are 6-1 where their only loss is with a hurt qb
go paladins
88' national champions
gofurman
True Terrier Fan

Postby BestOfBreed on Sun Nov 06, 2005 12:16 pm

gofurman wrote:anyway, according to your logic (one game)...since we can't beat gsu and you could you should be favored to beat us this week too... i mean, we can't beat a team that can't stop the run at all? and we got run all over...this should be easy for you

LMAO, wow... I don't recall saying any of that but if you want to make up stuff go right ahead. You said their defense had gotten better lately so I used the last two games to show you that it hadn't lately.

We're not a very good football team right now but we can defend the option better than Furman when facing a team that runs it. Rock, paper, scissors. I have no doubt it would take a near miracle for us to win at Furman. Your D is bad but our O is worse so take heart in that.

Btw, Foster and Austin were banged up yesterday but it didn't seem too matter much :) <-- btw, this is a joke
BestOfBreed
Site Admin

Postby gofurman on Sun Nov 06, 2005 1:00 pm

look, i think i just saw that we were going to lose this and no one would listen...a. all number one teams in 1aa have struggled this year..b we were in statesboro - do you know that we have never won there in the regular season? (we won there in teh playoffs in 01)...c. we came in with a bullseye on our chest...d. they were fighting for their playoff lives. e. there coach might have been fired if they lose that game as that would have knocked them from the playoffs and they don't put up with that for long - a lot of people on their board were wanting sewak gone if he lost that game (ridiculous if you ask me but that's the way they think down there)... sagarin had us as an underdog and even Matt of the sportsnetwork said we would lose...i can't figure why everyone thought we would win...LASTLY, and most importantly, our D has two - yes TWO - seniors...it is hard to learn to defend that D without having seen it before as one of oiur former players told me - youneed more than two seniors...note the diff in our D in the first in second halves...our D was much improved just after seeing it for a half at game speed.. and again, much on this board was about they couldn't stop the run - well our man felton broke his finger and so we had to hold him out and only rush him a few times so that was not good for us...
go paladins
88' national champions
gofurman
True Terrier Fan

Postby gofurman on Sun Nov 06, 2005 1:07 pm

You said their defense had gotten better lately so I used the last two games to show you that it hadn't lately. ' their D has improved...it ain't great but it is improved...i am also saying that their O is improved...and it is definitely improved notice in those scores...you all put zero on western...gsu put 45...you all put 14 on elon they put 49..and it goes on and on...that is not the same O you saw...anyway, i am big on the point of needing to see that O once or twi ce to get better on playing it...our D is just so young...let's let it go and look to our game this weekend..should be fun...interested in your thoughts on our game this weekend
go paladins
88' national champions
gofurman
True Terrier Fan

Postby BestOfBreed on Sun Nov 06, 2005 2:35 pm

They are definitely throwing the football better than at the beginning of the year but we'll see how they do on the road in the playoffs. 8-3 with only one top 25 win should put them on the road but attendance figures might get them a first rd home game at least. We'll see.

As for this weekend, much like in the case of the App State game... we would have to play our best game of the year to have a chance. We did not against App State but App State had a lot to do with that. Which Ingle Martin shows up might make a difference too. I would feel better if we had played a little better yesterday.
BestOfBreed
Site Admin

Return to Football