Page 2 of 11

Re: Youngstown State

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 11:57 am
by Ruckus
I love our position right now. Everybody betting against us and underestimating our abilities. This is our sweet spot. We have always relished the underdog role and have performed best when no one/very few expects us to succeed against larger/faster/better opponents. THIS is Terrier football at its best.
They have all of 5-6 days to scheme us on both sides of the ball. Make no mistake, they will, as most do, look at our film and see us a well-coached/fundamentally sound yet physically limited (read: small and slow) team. They don't play the option and they don't see our "odd ball" 50 defense. They are at home and will be VERY confident heading into this game. This all adds up as a positive scenario for us.
I am worried about our injuries (Warhby, Goodson, Green (had another shoulder issue Sat. night), Brown (has been a little gimpy since FU), DWilson (knee issue in CSU game), etc.). I am worried about Newman stepping up and no depth behind him (Colvin hasn't played QB in 4 years).

Re: Youngstown State

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 12:28 pm
by woffordgrad94
All those would-be prognosticators on Any Given Saturday don't know crap about our program. They haven't seen our defense in action. They don't know just how good our "fourth straight quarterback" is...they just assume he is bad because he is a fourth string quarterback. They have no idea or understanding of the depth of this team. The have no idea or understanding of the heart, drive, determination, or togetherness of this team. They have not thought things out and realized that a forecast for bad weather favors a grind it out team that wins with rushing and defense like ours over a team that throws the ball a lot more and tries to outscore you like YSU. So you'll have to excuse them.

Re: Youngstown State

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 2:37 pm
by T-Dog 4
Ruckus wrote:I love our position right now. Everybody betting against us and underestimating our abilities. This is our sweet spot. We have always relished the underdog role and have performed best when no one/very few expects us to succeed against larger/faster/better opponents. THIS is Terrier football at its best.
They have all of 5-6 days to scheme us on both sides of the ball. Make no mistake, they will, as most do, look at our film and see us a well-coached/fundamentally sound yet physically limited (read: small and slow) team. They don't play the option and they don't see our "odd ball" 50 defense. They are at home and will be VERY confident heading into this game. This all adds up as a positive scenario for us.
I am worried about our injuries (Warhby, Goodson, Green (had another shoulder issue Sat. night), Brown (has been a little gimpy since FU), DWilson (knee issue in CSU game), etc.). I am worried about Newman stepping up and no depth behind him (Colvin hasn't played QB in 4 years).


+1. I do hope we get some of those guys back & healthy though.Lord help us if we lose another QB.... What do we know about Colvin as a TO QB ?

Re: Youngstown State

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 2:48 pm
by youngterrier
Well there was speculation of a potential Evan Jacks return if we made a deep enough run in the playoffs. I imagine you would have to physically restrain him from the field if we made it far enough and he was healthy enough

Re: Youngstown State

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 3:22 pm
by lawdog
Nick was a very solid HS QB. And he has a lot of experience in our offense. Also good to hear about Evan.

Re: Youngstown State

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 4:06 pm
by WTFan
I heard some talk Saturday night that we could possibly see Evan Jacks on the field this weekend.

Re: Youngstown State

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 4:10 pm
by T-Dog 4
I wondered about that, but given how a lot of our offense is dependent on timing, wouldn't Evan be a bit rusty... unless he's been practicing and getting some reps? He definitely knows our O better than anyone. Just curious on whether a rusty and possibly not 100% healthy EJ would be a better option than an untested but healthy Colvin

Re: Youngstown State

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 4:29 pm
by Ruckus
I don't know first hand but Jacks may not be on the 60 man playoff roster (wasn't he in the stands v CSU?). So I don't think that he is a viable option behind Newman.
Plus we don't know about Goodson's ankle sprain. High ankle sprains are hard to predict/gauge. Goodson could be back this week but may not be either. I know several players who have been battling HASs for several weeks.
Colvin was a TO QB (and DB) in high school and came in to camp as a F and ran some QB until he was switched to HB. His film looked darn good to me as I recall.

Re: Youngstown State

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 4:31 pm
by WTFan
Regardless, I think it's the Freshman's offense to run this weekend. Go win it #8!!

Re: Youngstown State

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 4:37 pm
by walliver
woffordgrad94 wrote:All those would-be prognosticators on Any Given Saturday don't know crap about our program. They haven't seen our defense in action. They don't know just how good our "fourth straight quarterback" is...they just assume he is bad because he is a fourth string quarterback. They have no idea or understanding of the depth of this team. The have no idea or understanding of the heart, drive, determination, or togetherness of this team. They have not thought things out and realized that a forecast for bad weather favors a grind it out team that wins with rushing and defense like ours over a team that throws the ball a lot more and tries to outscore you like YSU. So you'll have to excuse them.


AGS has become over-run with MVFC fanboys pulling for the MVFC teams.

Re: Youngstown State

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 5:11 pm
by youngterrier
I would give Newman the start just because you don't want to push Goodson back in the fold too fast, especially since Newman gave us such a good spark last week.

Re: Youngstown State

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 5:49 pm
by Ruckus
Just made my reservations. LG and Ruckus will be in The Ice Castle.
Wonder if roasted penguin tastes like chicken?

Re: Youngstown State

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 5:57 pm
by T-Dog 4
Ruckus wrote:Just made my reservations. LG and Ruckus will be in The Ice Castle.
Wonder if roasted penguin tastes like chicken?



It's a fish eater so I'm betting it's more like merganser... you will need more than a nice bourbon to wash it down.

Re: Youngstown State

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 5:58 pm
by dungeonjoe
Ruckus wrote:Just made my reservations. LG and Ruckus will be in The Ice Castle.
Wonder if roasted penguin tastes like chicken?


YT and I will be there too.

Re: Youngstown State

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 6:52 pm
by crabbyterrier
Ruckus wrote:Just made my reservations. LG and Ruckus will be in The Ice Castle.
Wonder if roasted penguin tastes like chicken?


What airport are you flying into?