Youngstown State

Southern Conference Champions - 2003, 2007, 2010, 2012, 2017
FCS Playoffs - 2003, 2007, 2008, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2016
FCS Playoff Semifinalists - 2003
FCS Playoff Quarterfinalists- 2016

Moderators: BestOfBreed, dungeonjoe

Re: Youngstown State

Postby crabbyterrier on Mon Dec 12, 2016 12:25 am

boulder3m wrote:Thanks for the rundown from the game. We definitely gained respect, but as Ruckus said, the result was what they expected. One question for you guys; what about Butler? Isn't he a red shirt Jr? He really did a good job of running the offense when he played. Over the course of the season we saw some really good catches from the receivers and running backs. Who is our best passing QB?

Grad school for Butler, per his father.
If you can't pee with the BIG DOGS,
stay out of the tall grass!
crabbyterrier
True Terrier Fan

Postby Ruckus on Mon Dec 12, 2016 8:37 am

Goodson and Butler were our best passing QBs (although I would have put Jacks right there with them).
Newman will be fine but needs work with his fundamentals (feet and release).
Ruckus
True Terrier Fan

Postby boulder3m on Mon Dec 12, 2016 10:45 am

Both Goodson and Newman have lots of good traits and abilities. We are in pretty good shape heading into the Spring there. My guess is that both can throw the ball if we give them the right plays and the chance. IMO we have to throw the ball to become a legitimate offensive threat.
You can put a star by each of our QB's names. Evan must have worked his butt off to be available on Saturday. Butler did a fine job when his turn came. Goodson pulled the Superman thing-has that Clark Kent glasses studious look and then suits up and is a warrior. Then Newman stepped up when his name was called. Pretty impressive that we could have a ten win season losing two starting LB's, three starting QB's and our speedster returner and outside runner.
boulder3m
True Terrier Fan

Postby lawdog on Mon Dec 12, 2016 2:37 pm

To my surprise, I thought Butler was our best passer this year. Ran the option very well too.

Just a crying shame that late, and close to their goal line, we could not surprise anyone in the world with our offense. I don't mean with something half baked, but rather with about 2-3 good choices (two of them passes) that we have been rehearsing and perfecting, for just such an occasion. Practice makes perfect, and provides confidence. I, and others, have been saying this for at least 6-8 years. I thought we were breaking out of that mold, which is why we won close games against Furman and WCU, but alas no ....
lawdog
True Terrier Fan

Postby TURKEYCREEK on Mon Dec 12, 2016 2:57 pm

Congrats as well on the fine season for the Terriers but it could have been a little more. Not saying that they could advance past EWU, but it would have been nice to try.

I agree with WTFan and others about the play calling. I'm hopefully optimistic that something will change, but based on past seasons I know I shouldn't get my hopes up. Getting to the quarterfinals should only serve as more impetus for a change in philosophy.

To be a contender year in and year out, providing they keep the current option offense, Wofford has to average around 125 yards passing per game IMHO. One has to go back all the way to 2010 to find a season in which the Terriers had over 1,000 yards passing. That's almost laughable. Please please make some changes. I seem to recall there is an old saying about doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result.
TURKEYCREEK
2008 Bowl Pickem Co-Champ

Postby Hobo on Mon Dec 12, 2016 10:08 pm

Not sure why the suspensions didn't happen against us.

"Sources tell WKBN that four football players, three of which are significant contributors, could be suspended and may not be making the trip to the game. A source said the suspensions may be the result of drug testing after the Jacksonville State game."
http://wkbn.com/2016/12/12/sources-ysu- ... inal-game/
Hobo
True Terrier Fan

Postby mudrat43 on Mon Dec 12, 2016 10:33 pm

The better passer this season was Butler.....but that's a moot point now. Goodson and Newman are both competent, but to what end? I've climbed off that soap-box, no sense in ranting about something that's not going to happen (a passing game). Whoever recruits QBs, needs to get out there and get the best option QB he can find.
mudrat43
True Terrier Fan

Postby Loyalterrier on Wed Dec 14, 2016 10:05 pm

Highlights https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=unR8jbChshA

Also new pictures of JRIS on Twitter.
Loyalterrier

Postby lawdog on Thu Dec 15, 2016 4:33 pm

Ouch, so many chances.
lawdog
True Terrier Fan