Citadel - Playoff Game

Southern Conference Champions - 2003, 2007, 2010, 2012, 2017
FCS Playoffs - 2003, 2007, 2008, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2016
FCS Playoff Semifinalists - 2003
FCS Playoff Quarterfinalists- 2016, 2017

Moderators: BestOfBreed, dungeonjoe

Citadel - Playoff Game

Postby WocoSix on Sun Nov 27, 2016 2:07 pm

Citadel will host Wofford next Saturday at 6pm @ Johnson Hagood Stadium! This should be a barn burner. Forget the game a few weeks ago in Sparkle City. These are both different teams since them. Citadel is going to be jacked for this home game and a weeks rest. Our SHD have a up hill climb with this game. With that said ... BRING IT!!!

Early line has it Citadel (-2.5)
WocoSix
True Terrier Fan

Re: Citadel - Playoff Game

Postby GoldandBlack on Sun Nov 27, 2016 7:41 pm

Given that The Citadel has a home playoff game, we have some gaps at LB, and the Bulldogs have a two-week rest going into the game, it's no surprise that they're an early favorite at -2.5.

Glad the game is decided by the players on the field, not the odds- GO TERRIERS!
"Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects."
~Will Rogers
GoldandBlack
True Terrier Fan

Postby boulder3m on Sun Nov 27, 2016 7:47 pm

We were picked to lose to CSU by most of the writers who knew anything about FCS. They were #10 in the polls and we were #19. So, now The Citadel is #6 or so; we beat #11 at their place and #10 at our place. We will probably be ranked about #22.
boulder3m
True Terrier Fan

Postby OlRB#3 on Sun Nov 27, 2016 10:54 pm

I will making the long trip from Pensacola, FL to this game for my first of the season. You have no idea how pumped I am for this game. I like our chances. Although we have the injuries at LB, we are the deepest we have ever been across the board. Glad this rivalry has some new spark to it, as it had gone a bit stale!! First time in Johnson Haygood since my playing days. Would love to meet up for some tail-gating and meet some of you face to face. Go Dogs!! I'm feeling good about this one!!
OlRB#3
True Terrier Fan

Postby T-Dog 4 on Mon Nov 28, 2016 1:14 pm

Any updates on the injury front? Really glad Stewart had no fractures or serious injury. That was scary. I know he was released Saturday, but I'm not sure what that means in terms of when he can play again? Any chance we get some other guys back?

With 2 weeks off to rest & prepare, plus a fired-up home crowd, El Cid is going to be really tough to beat, but I continue to be impressed and amazed at this team's resilience. Last week was very physical and this week will be no different. Hope we can go to the well one more time.

Let's go you SHD's ! Survive & advance!
To educate a man in mind and not in morals is to educate a menace to society.
-Theodore Roosevelt
T-Dog 4
True Terrier Fan

Postby drpnut on Mon Nov 28, 2016 2:24 pm

First I want to echo what most are saying: what a heck-of-a game this will be. I do not think anyone in America s doubting our "D" now. And I do believe our D will respond again this week in a resounding way.

I. like most of our followers, am quite pleased with the way BG has managed the game. He has improved a lot over this year and is doing a good job. I"m just looking for him to do a "great" job. He reminds me a lot of Jaybo Shaw of Geo. Suck a few years back. Shaw was a good manager of the game and ran the team well. However, he did not have a lot of speed and really didn't provide much of a deep threat. And because of his limitations he couldn't get the eagles over the hump (even though they made the final 4 I believe). I think Coach Ayers and Lang made the right decision Saturday in keeping it very conservative and played to BG's strength. For us to get over the "hump" and make a deep run, we need to "spice" it up a bit. I think we could do this by passing more (say like 15 times) and go deep.

I also believe we should play Newman a few series. One, because the kid has some wheels and is elusive. Two, because of our luck with injuries this year. If BG has to miss game time Newman needs to be a little bit more experienced. Also, Newman is a good change up. And this is not at all a knock on BG. Newman just gives us a little more swagger and break away speed. Which I believe is needed.

Ya'll agree? What are your thoughts?
drpnut
True Terrier Fan

Postby lawdog on Mon Nov 28, 2016 4:04 pm

I'd still like to see a little wildcat formation from our other backs, or others ... Cleary? R.J.? Colvin? McPherson? They have the talent, and our QB does not get exposed as much.
lawdog
True Terrier Fan

Postby boulder3m on Mon Nov 28, 2016 4:15 pm

If we haven't seen Newman in the past 5 games we sure aren't about to see him now. The plan appears to be to see if we can compete with a very conservative approach and win it with our D. Our receivers have show an uncanny ability to catch the ball in difficult situations, and we may need that this weekend. It will be interesting to see our game plan unfold. Got a feeling something in the bag of tricks may pop out at the best time.
boulder3m
True Terrier Fan

Postby boulder3m on Mon Nov 28, 2016 4:26 pm

This rating site is called CompughterRatings, and is fun to input to see how teams stack up against each other and home, away, or neutral sites. It shows us a two point underdog at The Citadel, and a one point favorite if the game were played at a neutral site. It means nothing, but their computer respects our defense tremendously.

http://www.compughterratings.com/FCS/rankings
boulder3m
True Terrier Fan

Postby youngterrier on Mon Nov 28, 2016 5:25 pm

At this point in the year, expect some creativity out of our offense, or at least I would hope so. I remember in 2008 we brought out the wildcat in the last week of the season against Furman, and we saw it again against JMU. I think we did the same thing with EB. We also saw that "beef bone" where we put Tarek Odom (and some other DL) to come in and block a couple years ago. Also the beef bone where we brought 2 tight ends in against Elon in 08 and took them completely off guard and wholloped them.

We have the depth, and we need a spark. We saw the throwback pass, and it kind of worked but I think doing creativity with the personnel sets would be more beneficial than trick plays.
Study hard, Work Hard, Party Hard, Go Terriers!
youngterrier
True Terrier Fan

Postby lawdog on Mon Nov 28, 2016 6:12 pm

Not saying they have to be trick plays (but hey, if that works ...); just want a little variety to keep the bad guys honest.
lawdog
True Terrier Fan

Postby walliver on Mon Nov 28, 2016 6:42 pm

boulder3m wrote:If we haven't seen Newman in the past 5 games we sure aren't about to see him now. The plan appears to be to see if we can compete with a very conservative approach and win it with our D. Our receivers have show an uncanny ability to catch the ball in difficult situations, and we may need that this weekend. It will be interesting to see our game plan unfold. Got a feeling something in the bag of tricks may pop out at the best time.

I still think Newman should play a few downs. I don't know if he is ready for a full series, but having him go in and run the option at full speed might catch the Citadel defense out of position.
walliver
True Terrier Fan

Postby youngterrier on Mon Nov 28, 2016 8:17 pm

According to Mike Ayers, Stewart just had a pinched nerve. The released depth chart has both Wilson and Stewart playing Saturday...that would be huge if true

http://sidearm.sites.s3.amazonaws.com/a ... tes_16.pdf
Study hard, Work Hard, Party Hard, Go Terriers!
youngterrier
True Terrier Fan

Postby lawdog on Mon Nov 28, 2016 8:26 pm

Great to see us looking so healthy.
lawdog
True Terrier Fan

Postby Eyes of Old Main on Mon Nov 28, 2016 10:00 pm

lawdog wrote:I'd still like to see a little wildcat formation from our other backs, or others ... Cleary? R.J.? Colvin? McPherson? They have the talent, and our QB does not get exposed as much.

Agreed. And I don't see why we couldn't incorporate the jet sweep that CSU used to get it to our speed guys with a full head of steam. A screen pass to Will Gay would also be good since he navigates traffic so well.
SoCon Champs '03, '07, '10, '12, '17
FCS Playoffs '03, '07, '08, '10, '11, '12, '16, '17
FCS Semifinals '03
D-II Playoffs '90, '91
NAIA Finals '70
SC Little 4 Champs '48, '49, '50, '51, '52, '54, '56, '57, '61, '62, '63, '64
Cigar Bowl Participant '50
Eyes of Old Main
True Terrier Fan

Next

Return to Football