Such a fulfilling and satisfying win.....

Southern Conference Champions - 2003, 2007, 2010, 2012, 2017
FCS Playoffs - 2003, 2007, 2008, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2016
FCS Playoff Semifinalists - 2003
FCS Playoff Quarterfinalists- 2016, 2017

Moderators: BestOfBreed, dungeonjoe

Re: Such a fulfilling and satisfying win.....

Postby Ruckus on Sun Nov 27, 2016 9:38 pm

Our coaches are convinced that when we don't turn it over we win more often than not. Lord knows I don't like 7 or 8 straight FB dives any more than anyone else but the result speaks for itself.
Let's hope we aren't relegated to that this week.
Ruckus
True Terrier Fan

Postby lawdog on Sun Nov 27, 2016 10:18 pm

It is still crucial that we have some misdirections and pass plays in our repertoire. Without timely reverses, screen plays, and tight end misdirections, for example, we would have lost at least two other games this year. True, do not turn it over for sure, but keep them guessing some too.
lawdog
True Terrier Fan

Postby FUBeAR5467 on Mon Nov 28, 2016 12:14 pm

Postby lawdog on Sun Nov 27, 2016 9:18 pm

It is still crucial that we have some misdirections and pass plays in our repertoire. Without timely reverses, screen plays, and tight end misdirections, for example, we would have lost at least two other games this year.

Yep.

Having picked Woffy to beat ChuckSouth in my bracket, I was looking for some of that 'stuff' that I saw vs. Mercer and Furman to break the game open on Saturday. Wofford D is awesome and D wins Championships 'they' say, but I'm thinking the Terriers are going to need a little more O this Saturday to win the game. Maybe not - looking forward to watching it unfold.
We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;
For he today that sheds his blood with me, shall be my brother.

FUBeAR5467
Junior Terrier

Postby lawdog on Mon Nov 28, 2016 4:39 pm

When is the last time we scored on a bomb? Can't recall.
lawdog
True Terrier Fan

Postby youngterrier on Mon Nov 28, 2016 5:19 pm

lawdog wrote:When is the last time we scored on a bomb? Can't recall.

Chattanooga. When we pass to the tight end it's on point usually.
Study hard, Work Hard, Party Hard, Go Terriers!
youngterrier
True Terrier Fan

Postby FUBeAR5467 on Mon Nov 28, 2016 5:21 pm

by lawdog on Mon Nov 28, 2016 3:39 pm

When is the last time we scored on a bomb? Can't recall.

Don't know about a scoring on a "bomb"...but I know these 6 & 3 plays were crucial to the victories won by Wofford in these 2 games...

2nd Quarter 3rd and 8 at MER20 Brandon Goodson pass complete to Chandler Gouger for 19 yards to the MER1, 1ST DOWN WOF, out-of-bounds
2nd Quarter 1st and 10 at WOF35 Brandon Goodson pass complete to Chandler Gouger for 60 yards to the MER5, 1ST DOWN WOF
3rd Quarter 2nd and 7 at WOF33 Brandon Goodson pass complete to R.J. Taylor for 16 yards to the WOF49, 1ST DOWN WOF
3rd Quarter 1st and 10 at WOF49 Cole Cleary pass complete to Will Gay for 21 yards to the MER30, 1ST DOWN WOF
4th Quarter 3rd and 24 at MER46 Brandon Goodson pass incomplete to R.J. Taylor, PENALTY MER roughing passer 15 yards to the MER31, 1ST DOWN WOF
4th Quarter 3rd and 12 at MER33 Brandon Goodson pass complete to R.J. Taylor for 15 yards to the MER18, 1ST DOWN WOF, out-of-bounds

2nd Quarter 1st and 10 at FUR14 Brandon Goodson pass complete to Chandler Gouger for 14 yards to the FUR0, 1ST DOWN WOF, TOUCHDOWN
4th Quarter 4th and 3 at WOF48 Brandon Goodson pass complete to Hunter Windham for 19 yards to the FUR33, 1ST DOWN WOF, out-of-bounds
4th Quarter 3rd and 10 at FUR40 Brandon Goodson pass complete to Will Gay for 33 yards to the FUR7, 1ST DOWN WOF

Only found 1 similarly successful non-rushing play vs. CSU and I don't recall how crucial this play was to the flow/outcome of the game...watching 4 games at once makes following 'flow' fairly challenging.

3rd Quarter 2nd and 9 at WOF23 Brandon Goodson pass complete to Dorian Lindsey for 30 yards to the CSU47, 1ST DOWN WOF, out-of-bounds

I'm thinking it will take at least 3 or 4 of these highly successful/game-changing (non-rushing) plays to beat El Cid on Saturday.
We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;
For he today that sheds his blood with me, shall be my brother.

FUBeAR5467
Junior Terrier

Postby mudrat43 on Mon Nov 28, 2016 8:22 pm

Its one thing to sit on a lead of 4 (or more) points in a close game, but to be backed-up close to your own goal line to punt several times, and risk a damaging return is not a reasonable strategy. Does that indicate great confidence in your defense, or a lack thereof in your offense? It smells of a coaching fear to do what should be a natural reflex (fight to win on every play). Seems to me they (coaches) threw the offense in the swamp with the alligators.......ugh. Oh yeah, not to mention (again) the 4 middle dives on the 6 inch line that got nothing....ugh II!
mudrat43
True Terrier Fan

Postby youngterrier on Mon Nov 28, 2016 8:51 pm

if you can't score with 4 chances inside the 2, regardless of the play call, you don't deserve to. That's not on the coaches
youngterrier
True Terrier Fan

Postby Eyes of Old Main on Mon Nov 28, 2016 9:57 pm

youngterrier wrote:if you can't score with 4 chances inside the 2, regardless of the play call, you don't deserve to. That's not on the coaches

On the surface, I agree. Four cracks from the two and a championship team gets in, but I will also give some serious praise to CSU on that stand. They defended each play cleanly and shut the door on Wofford. Very sound defense. Maybe it was play calling; I think I'd have tried running the option at least twice and force them to stay home on the QB and also be in position to string out the pitch man. But, if the Terriers were going full frontal, I'm not sure EB could have gotten in with what their DL was doing. I'm with you in citing the lack of playcalling creativity, but at least as much of that result was from what CSU was doing on defense and my hat is off to them for that.
SoCon Champs '03, '07, '10, '12, '17
FCS Playoffs '03, '07, '08, '10, '11, '12, '16, '17
FCS Semifinals '03
D-II Playoffs '90, '91
NAIA Finals '70
SC Little 4 Champs '48, '49, '50, '51, '52, '54, '56, '57, '61, '62, '63, '64
Cigar Bowl Participant '50
Eyes of Old Main
True Terrier Fan

Postby youngterrier on Mon Nov 28, 2016 11:43 pm

Eyes of Old Main wrote:
youngterrier wrote:if you can't score with 4 chances inside the 2, regardless of the play call, you don't deserve to. That's not on the coaches

On the surface, I agree. Four cracks from the two and a championship team gets in, but I will also give some serious praise to CSU on that stand. They defended each play cleanly and shut the door on Wofford. Very sound defense. Maybe it was play calling; I think I'd have tried running the option at least twice and force them to stay home on the QB and also be in position to string out the pitch man. But, if the Terriers were going full frontal, I'm not sure EB could have gotten in with what their DL was doing. I'm with you in citing the lack of playcalling creativity, but at least as much of that result was from what CSU was doing on defense and my hat is off to them for that.

Yeah, in that situation, my point is that *yes we can be critical* but at the same time, you really have no excuse to not score in those situations, regardless of your play call. It's two yards, not rocket science. We got stopped because CSU manned up, not because of playcalling
youngterrier
True Terrier Fan

Postby 19TERRIER19 on Tue Nov 29, 2016 3:20 pm

A fade route or slant off of a FB dive fake would also be almost guaranteed money with this team. We have a depth of quality receivers. Truly.
19TERRIER19
True Terrier Fan

Postby WTFan on Tue Nov 29, 2016 3:53 pm

Agreed 19. Hope to see at least 10 passes on Saturday.
WTFan
True Terrier Fan

Postby mudrat43 on Tue Nov 29, 2016 4:52 pm

My point exactly...CSU manned-up on the goal line and stopped us twice. Now what in the world is the coaching staff thinking by doing the same thing two more times? The whole universe thinks we'll do it again, so pray tell why not fool them (or at the least try one time?). I'll bet a dollar against a donut that if they had asked the offense, "hey guys what do you think we should do on 3rd and 4th down?" It wouldn't have been, "lets do the same thing coach". DUH!
mudrat43
True Terrier Fan

Postby TerrierDomination on Tue Nov 29, 2016 5:41 pm

FUBeAR5467 and mudrat43, finally someone with some football sense! And FUBeAR5467... you are my hero with those stats you spit out. AMEN AMEN AMEN. All I can say is this, Wade Lang and Mike Ayers are lucky the fanbase is extremely small, quiet, and classy else the boo's would have ensued on those back to back to back to back to back to back up the middle calls for no gain. The whole crowd was fully aware at halftime that the "up the middle" play wasn't going to work today and I don't care how good the O-line is, nobody is scared of us and everyone knows what we're going to do. So they stack 8 men in the box and literally beg us to run run to the outside or pass. Again, I love our playbook just not the same play 6 times in a row when it hasn't worked all day. We basically took a knee 6 times with 4 minutes left in the game. Thank God for our defense.
TerrierDomination
Junior Terrier

Postby WoCo65 on Tue Nov 29, 2016 6:49 pm

IMO on the 4 downs after the blocked punt, the reason we didn't get in is because #7 is running into the line TOO HIGH (upright)! That is what his predecessor (EB) was good about - lowering his shoulder and delivering the blow. LL has developed that bad habit over the past couple seasons and it's hurting him when he has to power through a tackle. If there is a hole, then he busts through and leaves the D in the dust.
WoCo65
True Terrier Fan

PreviousNext

Return to Football