Charleston Southern, Nov. 26

Southern Conference Champions - 2003, 2007, 2010, 2012, 2017
FCS Playoffs - 2003, 2007, 2008, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2016
FCS Playoff Semifinalists - 2003
FCS Playoff Quarterfinalists- 2016, 2017

Moderators: BestOfBreed, dungeonjoe

Re: Charleston Southern, Nov. 26

Postby jorober18 on Sat Nov 26, 2016 9:44 pm

Trying to analyze this game, but what was going on with the offense, was it the shifting they were doing, was it their athleticism at end, or our play calling? Thoughts on this?
jorober18
Junior Terrier

Postby youngterrier on Sat Nov 26, 2016 10:01 pm

Charleston Southern was really good at playing the option (and have been for a while). We have a good defense. We called a very conservative fourth quarter.

That's basically what happened. We probably didn't have many yards outside of the two touchdown drives.
Study hard, Work Hard, Party Hard, Go Terriers!
youngterrier
True Terrier Fan

Postby boulder3m on Sat Nov 26, 2016 10:19 pm

This game was won by the HEART of the TERRIER! CSU may have been a better team-hard to say. They played the TO about as well as I have seen-but then again we played it great also. We made a couple of drops that really hurt us, but then made plays when it was necessary. We made a gutsy fourth down play, and then the coaches gambled on a TD after the blocked punt. While the confidence may not have worked for our offense, it set up the safety by the defense. At one point in the late third quarter we were losing players so fast I wondered if we could survive, and then guys who may have started the year second, third or even fourth on the depth chart made plays. It was pure guts that got us to the finish line. I know #6, #42 and #8 went down and couldn't come back. We also lost Will Gay to what appeared to be a dislocated shoulder (from which he tried to come back) and a couple of others. The most important members of the team this week may the trainers and doctor.

By the way, hats off to Charleston Southern. They are the real deal. NO ONE IN THE FCS PLAYOFFS HAD A TOUGHER MATCH UP THAN CSU OR WOFFORD!
boulder3m
True Terrier Fan

Postby youngterrier on Sat Nov 26, 2016 10:26 pm

wouldn't be surprised if 42 tried to come back next week
Study hard, Work Hard, Party Hard, Go Terriers!
youngterrier
True Terrier Fan

Postby boulder3m on Sat Nov 26, 2016 10:32 pm

It looked like Datavious had a hammy, or quad or groin injury. Could have been a hip. He tried to work it out on the sidelines, but just couldn't go. When he first came off I was worried that it was a concussion, but saw him with the trainers trying to make it work. It looked like CSU got their running game going when we were down two inside LB's, but then they went back outside and we stuffed them.
boulder3m
True Terrier Fan

Postby woffordgrad94 on Sat Nov 26, 2016 10:50 pm

It would absolutely suck if we lost next week due to the extent of our injuries being too much to overcome. I'm sure a senior never wants his career to come to a halt because he got hurt.
woffordgrad94
True Terrier Fan

Postby boulder3m on Sun Nov 27, 2016 12:25 am

Sounds like the other injuries are possibly something we can overcome by next Saturday. The one to McAfee, however, is a biggie. He has used that speed to spread out defenses and do some damage in the kicking game. Who will step up?

http://www.goupstate.com/sports/2016112 ... s-over-top
boulder3m
True Terrier Fan

Postby FUBeAR5467 on Sun Nov 27, 2016 7:20 am

Great win for the Terriers! Way to REPRESENT for the SoCon.

Glad to hear Lincoln Stewart is OK.

Looking forward to a SoCon WAR next Saturday. Thinking other Teams in the Playoffs may just forfeit if they see the intensity and hitting that I expect to see in that game!

Just a shame that the Top 2 Teams in the SoCon have to meet in Round 2...but that's just the way it has to be, I guess. Show the FCS World that 2 (or 3) Teams from the SoCon deserved to be seeded as were 2 Teams from the MVFC and the Big Sky (or Big Lie, as I'm now calling them after their 3rd Place (Weber St.) and 4th Place (Cal Poly) Team's miserable showings vs. Chatt and the PFL's San Diego yesterday). CAA would have gotten 2 seeded Teams also if Richmond hadn't lost to Bill&Mary (who lost to former SoCon whipping-boy, Elon) to finish their regular season. Instead, the Committee matched up the 3 Unseeded CAA Teams vs. 3 Teams from the weak MEAC, NEC, and Patriot League, while placing 3 Unseeded SoCon Teams against the strong MVFC, the believed-to-be-strong Big Sky, and the Big South Champion. Clearly, not an 'accident.'

Hopefully Chatt will keep winning and Sat's Wofford @ The Citadel contest will convince the Selection Committee to 'do right' by the SoCon next year!
We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;
For he today that sheds his blood with me, shall be my brother.

FUBeAR5467
Junior Terrier

Postby Terrier NH Dude on Sun Nov 27, 2016 10:46 am

Recap of all First Round FCS Playoff Games by Stats columnist:

http://www.foxsports.com/college-footba ... und-112716

And story in the Post and Courier (Charleston, SC)
http://www.postandcourier.com/sports/ch ... fd6d2.html
Terrier NH Dude
True Terrier Fan

Postby Ruckus on Sun Nov 27, 2016 11:31 am

Datavious' injury is his left knee. They fitted him with a brace on the sideline but he never came back in. Had ice on it most of 4th quarter. I would say he will be questionable for next week.
Anybody know any specifics of Lincoln's injury other than no fractures? Not that I am not very thankful for his seemingly positive status (it was the first time I have ever prayed watching a football game), but I wonder if by some chance he may not be able to go next week.
Remember we had to cut our roster down to 60 players for the playoffs so we are even more short handed than normal.
Ruckus
True Terrier Fan

Postby boulder3m on Sun Nov 27, 2016 11:40 am

After watching the replay of the game from ESPN there are a couple of observations: First, the SWAC officials did a relatively good job-especially compared with what we have seen in the past when hosting playoff games. Second, the replay official did a horrible job. Agreeing with the TV color guy, there is no way the replay official should have reversed the on field official on the first Wofford TD (knee down at 6" line) or the TD call that was reversed before the safety. There was not a camera angle that could possibly have made the call better than the man on the goal line in position to see it. It is my understanding that there must be irrefutable evidence in order to reverse a call. There is NO WAY that was the case in either of those instances. I felt that there were a couple of spots that were off-both ways-mostly made by the linesman on the far side of the field. I have no idea if the replay official was in the house or in some studio, but that could have been a disaster.
boulder3m
True Terrier Fan

Postby Art Vandalay on Sun Nov 27, 2016 12:19 pm

Ruckus wrote:Datavious' injury is his left knee. They fitted him with a brace on the sideline but he never came back in. Had ice on it most of 4th quarter. I would say he will be questionable for next week.
Anybody know any specifics of Lincoln's injury other than no fractures? Not that I am not very thankful for his seemingly positive status (it was the first time I have ever prayed watching a football game), but I wonder if by some chance he may not be able to go next week.
Remember we had to cut our roster down to 60 players for the playoffs so we are even more short handed than normal.

Ruckus, In thinking about the 60 player roster, seems we could replenish that 60 as needed for injuries (if needed player positions were available). I tried to do some research, but only came up with this from the NCAA playoff rules...."TRAVEL PARTY
The size of the travel party is 130 persons for the rst-round, second-round, quarter nal and semi nal contests, including a maximum of 60 student-athletes in uniform. For the championship game, the travel party will be 145 persons, including a maximum of 70 student-athletes in uniform". So reading between the lines, seems we can mix and match players to get the 60 or 70 we need on a weekly basis.
Art Vandalay
True Terrier Fan

Postby Ruckus on Sun Nov 27, 2016 5:32 pm

We may be able to replenish but at ILB who are we going to replenish with? We RS'd one ILB (Brandon Brown).
Ruckus
True Terrier Fan

Postby boulder3m on Sun Nov 27, 2016 7:43 pm

IWF is up. Game time limited to 2 minutes due to NCAA rules. Since NCAA doesn't pay teams to play, why do they get to dictate what is shown?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qSHzj95 ... e=youtu.be

By the way. Just guessing, I know, but other than McAfee my guess is all others will play Saturday. More of a HOPE for Datavious Wilson.
boulder3m
True Terrier Fan

Postby Loyalterrier on Sun Nov 27, 2016 10:03 pm

boulder I don't understand the 2 min rule either. No advantage to a team that shows more than that. And it seems impossible that McAfee will play. Hopefully Lincoln will be ok although I doubt that he will play unless he recovered a lot more than expected. Have not heard or read anything about Datavious as far as playing. Will have to wait and see. This team has so much determination !!!!! GO TERRIERS !!!!!! Eleven hats on the ball !!!!
Loyalterrier

PreviousNext

Return to Football