Letter to the players and staff.....

Southern Conference Champions - 2003, 2007, 2010, 2012
FCS Playoffs - 2003, 2007, 2008, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2016
FCS Playoff Semifinalists - 2003
FCS Playoff Quarterfinalists- 2016

Moderators: BestOfBreed, dungeonjoe

Letter to the players and staff.....

Postby 19TERRIER19 on Sun Nov 13, 2016 10:44 pm

This is written as a parent and fan of the Wofford Terrier football team this season. I want to tell you how proud of you all that I am. I am so appreciative for your fight and toughness this season. You have endured more hardship over the last few seasons then I could remember in some time. And this season has been no different To lose Evan and Brad early in the season, to lose Michael and Jp to what could be career ending injuries, to deal with all the injuries that occur on top of those across the board and to be sitting here at 7-3 and to be honest, what should be 9-1. You have not been outplayed in any one single game this season......literally. You have lost 2 games that you have dominated.......and you do all of this amiss dealing with some of the toughest academics in the country. The coaching staff has endured tough seasons, to recruit players that meet the academic requirements but still can compete at this level. You have coached these youn men up to play to the best of their abilities, you motivate these young men to better men.

You have put together such a special group and team, it has been one of the more fulfilling seasons because so many people have doubted you, especially many from our own fansbase. Wofford fights for identity annually and you have embraced that fight and I want you to know that we as fans and family appreciate all you have given and sacrificed to put this product on the field. I am so proud of you and can't wait to hear your name when they announce your name for the playoffs. Can't wait to send teams home during the playoffs and set up what should be a championship team next season.

This is the program we chose to be apart of and we love it.
19TERRIER19
True Terrier Fan

Re: Letter to the players and staff.....

Postby WTFan on Mon Nov 14, 2016 11:22 am

Well said '19. You have been saying this team was special since the summer. I admit, I was extremely skeptical given the results over the last three years and losing starting QB in training camp. Even with the loss of four key starters and numerous other injuries, this group has come together and has played their tail off. I appreciate your insight and positive outlook '19 and love watching your boy play (just wish we'd throw it to him a little more!!!). Here's to returning to playoffs after taking care of business this weekend. Have a great week.
WTFan
True Terrier Fan

Postby Eyes of Old Main on Wed Nov 16, 2016 12:18 am

Great post that should be appreciated by everyone from the coaches on down. Admittedly, I am not an expert in football. I've learned a lot, but am a novice at best. But, I know a few things about team building, leadership development and creating a group identity.

I don't want to jinx anything by saying this (and I almost didn't post this), but I see a lot of similarities between the 2016 Terriers and the 2002 Terriers. That year a loss to VMI kept us out of the playoffs (I hope that isn't the case this time), but that "what could have been" year paved the way for the 2003 team which was absolutely special. I see the challenges of 2015 and the growth that has come from them as something that has reinvigorated our program and set us on a course to have another hyper-focused, take no prisoners team in 2017 like we had in 2003. Best thing is, that the 2016 team has the chance to get a little playoff experience under its belt and still be ready to dominate next year.

All of this is conjecture, of course, but we are on a good path and have a chance to be very successful this season, next year and beyond.

Finally, as an alum who never had the privilege of representing Wofford on the football field, I want to thank everyone from the administration, to the coaches and to the players and their families for the sacrifices they all make year round, both when the lights are on and especially when they aren't, so that we all have such outstanding men to represent us all.
SoCon Champs '03, '07, '10, '12
I-AA Playoffs '03, '07, '08, '10, '11, '12, '16
I-AA Semifinals '03
D-II Playoffs '90, '91
NAIA Finals '70
SC Little 4 Champs '48, '49, '50, '51, '52, '54, '56, '57, '61, '62, '63, '64
Cigar Bowl Participant '50
Eyes of Old Main
True Terrier Fan

Postby 19TERRIER19 on Wed Nov 16, 2016 11:38 am

Very well stated guys. I think things that people don't truly grasp or fully understand is how banged up the team is from week to week. Like everyone sees and hears about the major injuries, but not many know how banged up everyone is and has been throughout the season. And to know the things that these young men endure, the pain they play through, to still be out there playing as well as they have is truly amazing. These young men are a special group, I've said it all year and I will continue to say it, THIS GROUP IS SPECIAL. And I think we are poised to make a deep playoff run. We have operated since the citadel loss as each next game is a playoff game and this week against VMI is no different, we have a job to do this weekend. Let's do that job then watch the committee on Sunday on ESPN at 11:00 am announce our name in the playoffs. And every team listed on our side of the bracket need to take heed and pay close attention when they see our name:
19TERRIER19
True Terrier Fan

Postby lawdog on Wed Nov 16, 2016 11:45 am

I agree 19T. We have the depth, experience, camaraderie, and physicality to compete well with anyone in FCS in the playoffs. THIS could be our time.

Forget not: none of it matters unless we get it done vs. VMI.

As for next year, we are losing a lot of good players, but our depth and returning talent should enable us to keep it rolling.

Hopefully will have another very good recruiting year, including another very good QB and go-to RB, a la EB and LoLo.
lawdog
True Terrier Fan

Postby Ruckus on Thu Nov 17, 2016 9:25 pm

Looks like Marvin leaving......
http://player.tout.com/goupstate/pkbl73
Ruckus
True Terrier Fan

Return to Football