VMI

Southern Conference Champions - 2003, 2007, 2010, 2012
FCS Playoffs - 2003, 2007, 2008, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2016
FCS Playoff Semifinalists - 2003
FCS Playoff Quarterfinalists- 2016

Moderators: dungeonjoe, BestOfBreed

Re: VMI

Postby boulder3m on Sat Nov 19, 2016 3:25 pm

Our mistakes are making me nervous. Can't jump offsides like that. Just got lucky after letting them drive over 85 yards, thanks to penalties. Given in pick 6 called back that could have been a 14 point turnaround. Need to drive it down the field. Guys acting like they thought they will just run over VMI.
boulder3m
True Terrier Fan

Postby mudrat43 on Sat Nov 19, 2016 3:51 pm

Better get their collective heads together and step it up or this could be a disaster. Could they please run an option just once near the goal line? Come on coach! They just look pretty flat today!! UGH!!!
mudrat43
True Terrier Fan

Postby Hobo on Sat Nov 19, 2016 5:20 pm

Wasn't pretty. Would have liked to have had that last TD
Hobo
True Terrier Fan

Postby mudrat43 on Sat Nov 19, 2016 5:21 pm

Juuust a bit short on the final score (34-0??), but a shutout nevertheless! Not the least bit pretty, but got done what they had to get done....now on to the playoffs (I hope).
mudrat43
True Terrier Fan

Postby lawdog on Sat Nov 19, 2016 6:00 pm

The offense needs to take the defense out to dinner, a very nice one.
lawdog
True Terrier Fan

Postby 19TERRIER19 on Sat Nov 19, 2016 6:14 pm

Great job defense....way to hang tough all game./ Offense was anemic and uninspired but the defense did its part. Way to finish up a great regular season 8-3. Put ourselves in position for the playoffs and have a reminder game perfectly timed to get our heads together.
19TERRIER19
True Terrier Fan

Postby walliver on Sat Nov 19, 2016 6:30 pm

This game reminded me of Samford. Penalties frequently hurt us.

I was impressed by Newman's run and look forward to seeing him run the ball next year.
walliver
True Terrier Fan

Postby Ruckus on Sat Nov 19, 2016 6:58 pm

Why we have not let Newman get more snaps is beyond me. His run highlighted how SPEED and quicks can turn an 8-10 yard run into 6.
Offense looked just flat out poor. Jeez....
We tried to give it away but D wouldn't let it happen. We are very lucky.
The whole season on the line and we come out flat. I just don't get it. Mental errors; penalties; mistakes. Not Terrier football. I am tired of seeing it. I just don't get it. Glad we won but not sure we earned the playoff birth with this uninspired finish.
Bottom line: we took them lightly. Already looking ahead. And it may cost us.
Ruckus
True Terrier Fan

Postby walliver on Sat Nov 19, 2016 7:23 pm

ETSU beat Samford. Our playoff spot should be secure.
walliver
True Terrier Fan

Postby Ruckus on Sat Nov 19, 2016 7:39 pm

Just saw that. wow.
Lucky again.
But if we don't play better it will be a quick one and done.
Ruckus
True Terrier Fan

Postby boulder3m on Sat Nov 19, 2016 8:23 pm

Before the ETSU win over Samford, the NCCU win over NC A&T was the biggie. Montana ended with lossses in 4 of the last five. Richmond got blown out and they were in the top 10. It will be interesting to see what the pundits think about the bracket now. The Citadel let the disaster happen when UNC jumped out to a big lead and forced them out of the running game. Whether they let the killing mess with their heads is the question. Watched a little of the Mercer win over Furman. While it is hard to muster much sympathy for Furman, those guys have got to think they are completely snake bit. Before the season I thought Mercer, not Samford, would be one of the top teams in the league. Last year they were very close and had everyone back with their program building.
Agree that Newman, every time he has played, has made us all wonder why he doesn't play more. We are headed into the playoffs, where one play can make a tremendous difference. We have some great freshmen players who have shown what they can do.
That group of seniors has been special, and I am glad that the ones who stuck it out have been rewarded with a record of which they can all be very proud. We can all hope that what they learned while at Wofford will serve them well in life.
Last edited by boulder3m on Sat Nov 19, 2016 8:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
boulder3m
True Terrier Fan

Postby 19TERRIER19 on Sat Nov 19, 2016 8:32 pm

Couldn't disagree more. We didn't play well, but credit VMI that played everyone tough. If you think Wofford gets penalized for winnin a shutout I don't know what to tell you. Not every game is a glamour contest, ask Citadel, who won their fair share of ugly games to win the socon. Win and did our jab. Flat out.

We just finished a season 8-3 and lost 2 FCS games by 5 points total and we are worried about hand wringing a sloppy 17/0 shutout. Are we that elite all of a sudden to not enjoy a 2nd place finish in the second place conference of all of FCS. And with the regional format of FCS tourney, a great opportunity to have a great draw to see citadel in round 2 if we can hold serve at home in round 1. Sit back and smell the roses some
Times folks. I guess we should be happier during 5-6 6-5 seasons at least that justifies the morning and groaning. The kids aren't robots and no we aren't perfect, but we are tough as nails and a team that is together. Excuse me
If I choose to enjoy what a great accomplishment 8-3 is and only losing 2 games to which we were the better team in both, by 5 points.

Can't wait to celebrate tomorrow during the selection show.

All of this losing 2 QBs, 2 starting LBs. and a team of banged up kids putting it on the line each week.

Guess what else.......the future looks extremely bright as well as we will bring back more than any other team in the socon next season. Woooooohoooooo.......
19TERRIER19
True Terrier Fan

Postby lawdog on Sat Nov 19, 2016 9:00 pm

Defense, including D. Wilson and Gbesee, continues to play very well. http://woffordterriers.com/news/2016/11 ... r-vmi.aspx
lawdog
True Terrier Fan

Postby mudrat43 on Sat Nov 19, 2016 10:25 pm

After a review of the stats, it appears not quite as ugly. The Terriers accomplished their avg. yards per game at 371yds. About avg. in passing...9 thrown. Time of possession was a bit less at 29:20. VMI got just about their avg. passing yards, but the SHD's really shut down their rushing. So even though the offense didn't put up the scoreboard totals we're used to seeing, the numbers aren't bad at all. I'll be the first to admit that I thought WOF would come out on fire and light up the scoreboard every possession, me thinks VMI played us pretty well. I'll certainly take the win with pride and congratulate the team on a very fine regular season!
mudrat43
True Terrier Fan

Postby Ruckus on Sat Nov 19, 2016 10:28 pm

For the record, until ETSU won in the waning minutes (which was after my particular post BTW), our status was very tenable I assure you. If it was such a lock, why did Ayers close the viewing party to the public? We won 9 in '02 and beat the top 2 teams in the SoCon and were denied. We lost to the top 2 teams this year (until the Sanford loss tonight), SoCon has never sent 4 teams, and we only won 8, so you do the math. Enough said.
Poor offensive performance today, 2 critical TOs, stuffed inside the 2 yd line 2 straight downs, and silly penalties (count 'em, 8) bodes poorly for the playoffs. D plays lights out thank goodness. If any of those facts offend anyone, I apologize.
We're still like the fat guy trying to get his leg across the fence....
Good season but it could have been so much better. I am thankful for the 8 wins instead of the 5 or so we have seen the last few years. Got to learn to finish.
Last edited by Ruckus on Sat Nov 19, 2016 10:52 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Ruckus
True Terrier Fan

PreviousNext

Return to Football