The Polls

Southern Conference Champions - 2003, 2007, 2010, 2012, 2017
FCS Playoffs - 2003, 2007, 2008, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2016
FCS Playoff Semifinalists - 2003
FCS Playoff Quarterfinalists- 2016, 2017

Moderators: BestOfBreed, dungeonjoe

The Polls

Postby boulder3m on Sat Nov 12, 2016 10:00 pm

OK, I hate to even start the talk too early, but we put ourselves in the position of having to worry about it. It would be easy to argue that any one of the four at the top of the SoCon is the best, but The Citadel snatched victory from defeat more than once this season. They probably will deserve one of the top 4 seeds. In one poll we started the day at #17, and in the others we were #26. Four or more of the teams ahead of us lost; and we beat the #7 team on their home field with no flukes (meaning we beat them soundly in the stats as well). If we go out next Saturday and take care of business against VMI it will be up to the committee to sort it out and figure out how they rate Samford, Chatty and ourselves; and if they all get in; and where they fit in. Does anyone have any insight as to what ratings they will use and how the committee is thinking?
boulder3m
True Terrier Fan

Re: The Polls

Postby lawdog on Sun Nov 13, 2016 9:09 am

This looks right to me. Cannot keep us out if we beat the Keydets.
http://www.collegesportsmadness.com/fcs ... 5-rankings
lawdog
True Terrier Fan

Postby WTFan on Sun Nov 13, 2016 10:14 am

Hope your right Lawdog but taking 4 SOCON teams seems unlikely so who is the odd man out? We will be the lowest ranked team. The committee, historically, has not been kind to us. Whether it's sending us across the country to play Montana or leaving us out entirely. I really hope I'm worrying for no good reason. Beat VMI and we deserve a bid but when a committee makes the decision you can't help but be concerned.
WTFan
True Terrier Fan

Postby boulder3m on Sun Nov 13, 2016 10:38 am

Remember that Coastal is not eligible for the playoffs, so that is one rung up. Everyone has a game to play, and some have big rivals. Cit and Chatt have beat downs coming, and that casts a little shadow on them with the pollsters. We already have our FBS loss on the resume'. We are judged on our three losses; one to a then highly rated Ole Miss and two others in VERY close games that were decided by fluke situations. However, that being said, we are at the mercy of a committee that probably doesn't know much about the SoCon, and has had the other three teams rated above us all year because of our schedule.
boulder3m
True Terrier Fan

Postby lawdog on Sun Nov 13, 2016 10:56 am

Good points. The top 4 in the SoCon are particularly strong this year, and should get in. Each has the chance to win a game or two in the playoffs, or better. Mercer and Furman were talented and dangerous too. Worst case, if they take only 3 we should get in over Chatt due to our clear win there, head to head. Talk about how great Chatt is if you like, but we squared up and beat them at their place, chin to chin.

And by the way, no one in FCS has had a better run defense than Wofford, all year long.
lawdog
True Terrier Fan

Postby Ruckus on Sun Nov 13, 2016 11:53 am

Rhetorical Question: Does anyone really think the Committee will choose Wofford over higher ranked Chatty if it comes down to that?

Yeah, me either......
Ruckus
True Terrier Fan

Postby boulder3m on Sun Nov 13, 2016 12:29 pm

Just saw this from a tweet this morning:

http://www.fcs.football/cfb/story.asp?i ... m=&src=FCS
boulder3m
True Terrier Fan

Postby Terrier NH Dude on Sun Nov 13, 2016 2:33 pm

Still tremble thinking back to the Selection Committee's snub of the Terriers when App State's AD sat on the Committee; lo and behold, helped keep us out. I digress...
Stats Top 25 who lost yesterday:

7. UT-Chatt
15. Cal Poly
18. Montana (Sorry, Jerry!)
19. W. Illinois
21. UNH (UGH...lead comfortably at half)
24. Harvard (n.a. Ivy League does not participate in tournament)
25. Liberty

Win handily vs. VMI and 8-3 SHOULD get the Old Gold & Black in the field. If so, this team can do significant damage. Let's focus/take care of business on Sat first.
Terrier NH Dude
True Terrier Fan

Postby walliver on Sun Nov 13, 2016 4:19 pm

Whether or not the SoCon gets 3 at-large bids really depends on what happens elsewhere in FCS, something we have no control over.
In 2002, several games out west changed the playoff landscape in ways that worked against us (although we were a much better choice than ASU anyway).
Currently, the resumes of Wofford, Chatty, and Sammy are almost identical. If next week goes as anticipated (and Chatty ain't beating Bama and a ETSU win over Samford is extremely unlikely) we all share the following:
8-3 records
6-2 SoCon
No bad losses
1 sub-DI win each
1 OOC win each
The only real differences are that Sammy beat a good UCA team, we beat a middle-of-the-pack OVC team, and Chatty beat a cellar-dweller Big South team (PC).
At this point, the only reason Chatty will be ranked above us next week is last year's results.

If we win Saturday, most likely we will play CSU for a chance to restart our streak against The Citadel.

Does anyone have a link to this year's selection committee, I couldn't find it by google, bing, AGS search, or on the NCAA site (although I'm sure it's hidden there somewhere).
walliver
True Terrier Fan

Postby Terrier NH Dude on Sun Nov 13, 2016 5:49 pm

Walliver,

Check out:

http://espnmediazone.com/us/press-relea ... -rankings/

Tuesday is a big day as the final FCS Top 10 rankings are announced.
Terrier NH Dude
True Terrier Fan

Postby walliver on Sun Nov 13, 2016 6:34 pm

Terrier NH Dude wrote:Walliver,

Check out:

http://espnmediazone.com/us/press-relea ... -rankings/

Tuesday is a big day as the final FCS Top 10 rankings are announced.

Actually, I was looking for a list of the people actually on the committee.
walliver
True Terrier Fan

Postby boulder3m on Sun Nov 13, 2016 6:59 pm

Lots of good stuff here.

http://www.ncaa.com/stats/football/fcs

By the way, I think RJ was on the committee last year, along with the AD from Tenn Tech. Maybe still are...
boulder3m
True Terrier Fan

Postby lawdog on Sun Nov 13, 2016 8:02 pm

If we have 4 in the final top 20, each deserves to be in a 24 team playoff.Period.
lawdog
True Terrier Fan

Postby lawdog on Mon Nov 14, 2016 10:22 am

Sagarin has us #15 FCS; all four SoCon teams in top 15. Hopefully we will move up a spot or two after next weekend.
http://sagarin.com/sports/cfsend.htm
lawdog
True Terrier Fan

Postby boulder3m on Mon Nov 14, 2016 11:27 am

Pretty interesting how they have Chatty above Cit, and us the last of the four. We just go to Chatt and beat them by 8 but they are rated above us. I guess after this Sat when they play their FBS money game-and Cit plays theirs, it will all even out. It probably doesn't help that Ole Miss had such a bad run after playing us. Realistically, though, if you are an FCS team in another region, which SoCon team would you like to/not to play?
boulder3m
True Terrier Fan

Next

Return to Football