It's Furman Week

Southern Conference Champions - 2003, 2007, 2010, 2012
FCS Playoffs - 2003, 2007, 2008, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2016
FCS Playoff Semifinalists - 2003
FCS Playoff Quarterfinalists- 2016

Moderators: dungeonjoe, BestOfBreed

Re: It's Furman Week

Postby youngterrier on Sat Nov 05, 2016 11:32 pm

Our defense didn't look as good because we played with 2 starters out in the secondary, particularly our best corner (had a true freshmen start in his place).

If we had everyone healthy and not given those crazy cushions, this one isn't close.
Study hard, Work Hard, Party Hard, Go Terriers!
youngterrier
True Terrier Fan

Postby boulder3m on Sat Nov 05, 2016 11:33 pm

We were very thin on defense-especially in the secondary. I assume that is why we were playing off the line so far and willing to give the short passes. I hope we are going to have the secondary back next week. We are down two starting LB's anyway, and now we are down even more. Down two starting QB's and two starting LB's-now two starting DB's. Wow, pretty amazing.
By the way, kudos to our offensive coaches who figured out a way to use what we have. Goodson was not put in positions that were uncomfortable, and his designed runs were great. The throws were well planned and done at times and in ways that were completely unpredictable. What we showed Chatty will force them to game plan for a lot of things that they weren't planning last week. When they look at the plays from the past three weeks they will have their hands full.
Watched the end of the Samford/Cit game. There is a horseshoe strategically implanted in the Bellhops. Samford totally choked away their OT possession-sort of like we did. It's their year in the league. Sometimes it is that way. Would I like to play them in the playoffs- you bet your sweet bippy I would. Sometime the dam is going to break on the Bellhops, and it will all come tumbling down.
Last edited by boulder3m on Sat Nov 05, 2016 11:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
boulder3m
True Terrier Fan

Postby youngterrier on Sat Nov 05, 2016 11:35 pm

Rivera was listed out with an illness, so I assume he'll be back next week.

As for Watson, I'm more concerned about him because I think he's more consequential on the perimeter (getting off of blocks for instance) than other players.

Hopefully it was just a precaution to be 100% against Chatt but who knows
youngterrier
True Terrier Fan

Postby walliver on Sun Nov 06, 2016 12:02 am

gofurman wrote:Good game. Good win. Nice job dogs.

I will say.. And I am assuming I get the mature Wofford crowd when I say this - Don't jump on me until you read it through. :D That didn't quite look like the best FCS D In the country we were playing? It looked like a very very good FCS D. hear me out. I am all about match ups - and that's why pre-game I noted that we had a small chance to win because we were honestly willing to throw 60-70% of our plays. I watched your game vs Citadel in person. THAT Wofford D looked really great. Like I said, match ups. Ayers seems content to allow the softer coverage. IE, Woffs run D is great. Great. Pass D is good but is the small chink in armor. I think there was only one sack and we got 300 yards passing. Many teams are far better than us w similar scheme - Samford locally...

To be honest, FU didn't look like a team with 7 losses. In fact, my main argument for firing Fowler would be the fact that a lot of talent is going to waste. How did you lose to Kennesaw?

It was depressing to see the fairly small crowd, especially when half of them left after half-time. And many of those who stayed didn't seem to be much into the game.

Fortunately, we won't have to deal with Reese Hannon again (and I really wish he would have chosen us over going to the dark side).
walliver
True Terrier Fan

Postby gofurman on Sun Nov 06, 2016 1:10 am

Walliver, I VERY MUCH APPRECIATE the rational response. We lost to kennelsaw state because - among others - we lost our two best (and ONLY decent) linebackers that week. The two guys who have seen the option so many times. Rider and Johnson. Put them. In and we hold Citadel option to 19. Is that Citadel's lowest point Total,of year? Might be. Though you guys probably should have held them to 14 but they intercepted a pitch and the D got no shot to stop them. I know. W Rider and Johnson I think you would admit we strung your option out pretty well. Two,of your big plays were actually reverse flea-flicker passes! Crazy.

That said, there is NO WAY we should lose to Kenn State. NONE. I don't care if we are missing the only two good linebackers I think we have. We are a program where players have four and five years of playing together. KSU is in their second year! We have all this coaching and playing experience v a second f year program. No. Way. We. Should. Lose. I completely agree w you

That's our big issue under Fowler - and I HATE. HATE. HATE. this phrase, it's a cop out coach speak - .... But we really don't show up some games. I mean AT ALL. We got down 49-14 to kennesaw state. At half. Wtf. Then we got mad and lost 52-42. So second half was 28-3 Us. A totally different team. The last three years have been like this. Beat Samford 20-17. Lose next week to Western 45-0.

Team is totally unmotivated sometimes. Especially first half. They get behind and then come out firing. Too little too late.

Again, really appreciate your post. That's what I see too. How the Fck are we 2-7. Yeah yeah. Michigan state and FBS coastal. Then citadel and chatt. September just sucked. Couldn't have been anymore front-loaded. The ksu then a better than I thought Sammy team. So ksu ( lost to etsu?) shoulda been the gimme. Instead we roll over and hit half time at 14-49. Then kill them second half. Too late though. Finally show up in a first half vs ETSU. Kill em. 52-7. Same w VMI. You can thank us if you don't face Cobb at QB. We knocked him out of game . Didn't play today. I do hope he is ok. Shoulder?

I thin our mercer is toss up and we should(?) beat western. But fowler needs to be gone. That's 3/ 4 and 4 win seasons. After '13 socon. title.

I feel he doesn't motivate. JUST MY GUESS. We were motivated today and like you said - 'that's not 7 loss team'. I think he is great defensive mind. But not all coordinators should be head coaches.

More importantly, truly a Sad week for him. Fowler lost his mom to Cancer this week
go paladins
Socon's winningest program
88' national champions
85' 01' national finalists
gofurman
True Terrier Fan

Postby dungeonjoe on Sun Nov 06, 2016 5:36 am

Furman is the best 2-7 team in the country.
"There are things that you value and things that you will fight for. That is what today's all about. We fight for that short-haired dog and that name across your chest." Mike Ayers
dungeonjoe
True Terrier Fan

Postby lawdog on Sun Nov 06, 2016 7:30 am

+ 1. There are some very good players in that group.

BTW had we not converted a couple of fourth downs late, we lose. But that is encouraging in a way; this year's team keeps scrapping and fears no one. They pull for each other.
lawdog
True Terrier Fan

Postby Terrier NH Dude on Sun Nov 06, 2016 9:51 am

From GoUpstate:

1. Todd's Article:
http://www.goupstate.com/sports/2016110 ... opes-alive

2. Todd's Post-game Notes:
http://www.goupstate.com/sports/2016110 ... s-momentum

3. Greenville News:
http://www.greenvilleonline.com/story/s ... /93314646/

4. On to UT-Chatt with playoff hopes on the line for the Terriers; discuss...
Terrier NH Dude
True Terrier Fan

Postby mudrat43 on Sun Nov 06, 2016 10:59 am

Ruckster, Blazejowski was not the QB at Fleming Island High School (where Motes played). He was QB at Bartram Trail High School up in St. Johns county. Fleming Island is west of there in Clay county. Mike Scarnecchia was the QB at Fleming Island at that time. Now plays at South Carolina. All three graduated high school the same year. Just so ya know!
mudrat43
True Terrier Fan

Postby lawdog on Sun Nov 06, 2016 12:46 pm

This game had a lot of different things ... a little bit of everything ... more than about any game I can recall.

One thing for sure: both teams gave great effort. There was a lot of sportsmanship, helping the other guys up etc.; too rare these days at all levels.
lawdog
True Terrier Fan

Postby gofurman on Sun Nov 06, 2016 1:10 pm

I wish you all the best. And again you won fair and square.

You may notice two things in my favor - gasp! A Furman fan saying this. LOL. One, the number of posts here. If I came here just be this week and had two total posts and was an a*s then I deserve any and all heckles. But I have been here for a while w several hundred posts. Many that have only to do w you or SoCon.

Two, I never once mentioned refs. Some point to a late call in the game. I don't care. It's sports, beat the other team and the refs. In bball- it's 5 on 8. Nut up or shut up. I never look to refs. I don't look to third parties for blame.

-----
FYI. I have seen my Paladins play you and Chatt Chat looked a little better on D. BUT, and this is a big one, that's when we were playing Blaze. You saw Hannon yesterday. You would have preferred playing Blaze. So a little hard to compare. Hannon is much more accurate. Much. Blaze is a little more athletic. Better runner. If we play Hannon vs both teams I think we probably take Chatt to OT

Woff looked better on O. Chat did all they could to get to 21. Beat us 21-14. They threw a few perfect passes into great coverage to get to 21. Sort of like you all had a few key fourth downs to get to 34. So take a score away on each team to be conservative and we could have held Chatt to 17. We COULD have held you guys to around 27

----
FYI. I saw the post that FU is the "best 2-7 team in the country". It's kind of a joke. I get it. But sadly it's true too. I don't think there is another 2-7 team that can play within 5 of Citadel. 7 of Chatt. 7 of Woff. Honestly, no way SHOULD a 2-7'team be within a score w top 5 (Citadel) and top 10/25 teams. Put it this way, we were 0 and 6 two weeks ago !!! O and 6. That is not an 0 and 6 team

* lastly. Glad there were no big injuries yesterday though you lost a key OL - is he going to be back for Chatt ?
go paladins
Socon's winningest program
88' national champions
85' 01' national finalists
gofurman
True Terrier Fan

Postby T-Dog 4 on Sun Nov 06, 2016 3:43 pm

No worries, Gofurman. You are welcome here any time. You are ok for a furple. Best of luck to you the rest of the season.
To educate a man in mind and not in morals is to educate a menace to society.
-Theodore Roosevelt
T-Dog 4
True Terrier Fan

Postby boulder3m on Sun Nov 06, 2016 4:32 pm

Missed the first half of the game yesterday, so watching it now on ESPN3. Once again we let a team jump the pitch early. Lucky to lose only one. Once we got the gaps right we settled down. On D we did somewhat the same. Our inexperienced DB's settled in and were pretty effective after a shaky start. We know we have a couple of speedsters. Would like to see us figure out how to get the ball in their hands. Also, when teams are loading the box it seems that sending a couple of receivers long and then dragging a TE or RB in behind the LB's would be very effective.
boulder3m
True Terrier Fan

Postby WocoSix on Sun Nov 06, 2016 9:21 pm

Must say Brandon won this game for the SHD. Showed a lot of moxy on that first long run for a TD. I personally don't think it was called from upstairs but it was all him making a play. Also the throw on on 4th down was clutch. This could be a sign of him having the ability for a short passing game, heck we have the WR corps lets use them. FU early in the game was selling out on the QB and pitch man. Our staff noticed the 4 defenders on the out side and went to the counter and misdirection plays. The TO is not my favorite offense but watching the chess match is rather fun to watch.

Defensively, no one wants to say it but, we loss 2 great coaches in the secondary in Coach Brown and Coach Mance. I like the Redwood (6-2 195lbs) kid in the secondary, but he may be more of a Safety being that he is just as big or bigger than our current Safeties on roster. I think we have talent in the secondary, if they would let them play instead of having them playing handcuffed (10 yard cushions). NO ONE can guard WR's getting a free release from the line of scrimmage. Not even pros. Which is the reason you see NFL and Power 5 conference teams not playing as much zone coverage. Also with Rivera and Watson out, this was the first action this secondary were paired together. Also our DL got tested for the 1st time this year. Hats off to FU's offensive line.
WocoSix
True Terrier Fan

Postby youngterrier on Sun Nov 06, 2016 11:03 pm

I thought coach brown was still with the team?
youngterrier
True Terrier Fan

PreviousNext

Return to Football