It's Furman Week

Southern Conference Champions - 2003, 2007, 2010, 2012
FCS Playoffs - 2003, 2007, 2008, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2016
FCS Playoff Semifinalists - 2003
FCS Playoff Quarterfinalists- 2016

Moderators: dungeonjoe, BestOfBreed

Re: It's Furman Week

Postby woffordgrad94 on Sat Nov 05, 2016 4:39 pm

Terriers win 34-27! What a game! The Paladins will likely whine about that play in the endzone, but it doesn't matter! Great effort by the Dogs. David Marvin is unbeliveable and those two flea-flickers showd the creativity that we haven't seen from our offense in a while! It is a great day to be a Wofford Terrier.
woffordgrad94
True Terrier Fan

Postby youngterrier on Sat Nov 05, 2016 4:44 pm

That was one of those games that I felt like the coaches put us in a position they shouldn't have been. The players won that one. The thing that frustrated me was that they clearly only had one kind of offense, and that was the swing pass (to their credit, they protected Hannon really really well). Our 10 yard cushions invited them to do that all way. To be clear, I understand why we do those cushions and I'm not categorically against them, however in this specific case it was a clear mis-step. Now, maybe I'm just being an angry fan on the internet who got really angry in a close game, but that's my take.

Offensively, I think we've learned to scheme to Goodson's strengths. He's not great on the pitch for the option when he has to read it. But he is a great runner and he makes good pitches if its designed and not a read. I think the coaches realized that in the second half and you saw some good designed runs. He also got some good passes today. Goodson has to be the MVP of the game, no doubt about it. As bad of a defensive game we played, we played a good offensive game. Turnovers, again, were the equalizer, and our defense did step up when they needed to. I'm frustrated, but at the same time 34 is more than 27 and it's always good to beat the purplepeopleeaters in Green Vegas (on homecoming no less).

Good game for them, but I think Fowler isn't going to put things together any time soon.
Study hard, Work Hard, Party Hard, Go Terriers!
youngterrier
True Terrier Fan

Postby mudrat43 on Sat Nov 05, 2016 4:48 pm

Eating a little crow from my prediction of 34-17. Can we get a little pass defense....maybe? At least we threw it 4 times...4 times? Can't wait to see the stats from this one. Anyway, the Terriers did what they needed to do.......beat the dreaded Furples!
mudrat43
True Terrier Fan

Postby woffordgrad94 on Sat Nov 05, 2016 4:50 pm

I agree that it was not a complete thing of beauty and that we did not really show just how much better a team than them we truly are. But a win is a win, and a win over Furman is even more. We found a way to get it done and we "survive and advance". Every game is a playoff game to keep our season going.
woffordgrad94
True Terrier Fan

Postby lawdog on Sat Nov 05, 2016 4:51 pm

I like the way we scratched back several times after putting ourselves in a hole. Hannon played very well for them. It really helped when we were able to get some pressure on him, which was not often.
lawdog
True Terrier Fan

Postby youngterrier on Sat Nov 05, 2016 4:53 pm

If Hannon doesn't play we win that one going away. Clearly he's their team MVP and an equalizer.
youngterrier
True Terrier Fan

Postby Terrier NH Dude on Sat Nov 05, 2016 5:08 pm

+1

...and in a place that's usually very tough for the T-Dogs to win! "HOW SWEET IT IS..."
Terrier NH Dude
True Terrier Fan

Postby Ruckus on Sat Nov 05, 2016 5:53 pm

There is only one reason Hannon is even playing and it's Bruce Fowler. Coaches and players want Blaze. Huge issue in that team.
Felt like Groundhog Day. Sheesh. Lucky to win with TOs and poor pass defense.
Not that I am complaining...
It's been 9 years since I watched us win one in Paladin Stadium. Too damn long.
Ruckus
True Terrier Fan

Postby youngterrier on Sat Nov 05, 2016 5:57 pm

what year is Blaze?
youngterrier
True Terrier Fan

Postby walliver on Sat Nov 05, 2016 6:20 pm

youngterrier wrote:what year is Blaze?

I believe Blazejowski has one more year.
walliver
True Terrier Fan

Postby Ruckus on Sat Nov 05, 2016 6:22 pm

He was Bryce Motes' high school QB so that should be correct.
Ruckus
True Terrier Fan

Postby lawdog on Sat Nov 05, 2016 6:32 pm

Numbers don't lie: Goodson played a great game. http://woffordterriers.com/news/2016/11 ... urman.aspx

Give the coaches credit for having a couple of fancy plays up their sleeves.

Did not realize that neither Watson nor Rivera played today.

And Marvin! 57 and 54 yard FGs.
Last edited by lawdog on Sat Nov 05, 2016 7:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
lawdog
True Terrier Fan

Postby T-Dog 4 on Sat Nov 05, 2016 6:35 pm

Way closer than it should have been, but a win over the Furples always puts things right in the universe again. Marvin should be special teams POW....again. Great last scoring drive.
To educate a man in mind and not in morals is to educate a menace to society.
-Theodore Roosevelt
T-Dog 4
True Terrier Fan

Postby walliver on Sat Nov 05, 2016 10:46 pm

I thought Brandon get a great job (I arrived late to the game and missed his bad pitch). My only concern was poor pass coverage. When the game was on the line, however, the secondary tightened up and shut them down.
walliver
True Terrier Fan

Postby gofurman on Sat Nov 05, 2016 11:07 pm

Good game. Good win. Nice job dogs.

Ok, before anyone goes off on me you all did know Bruce Fowlers mom DIED this week, right? that was sad. A really long battle w cancer. There is a lot going on.

You beat a 2-7 team that is firing their coach ,.... by a Fourth quarter TD ! Just kiddin' :D Well.. Sort of. I saw predictions here like 34-17 etc. I was jonesing reading that. I have watched long enough to know when we are horrible or great or good - and this is SAD I admit ! - but we are a 2 win team that I wouldn't want to play. Lol. Good enough to beat anyone in SoCon

But it's true. Citadel. 14-19. Chat. 14-21. Woff. 27-34. Mercer barely escapes ETSU today who my Paladins beat by 45 and never punted?? But most would rate Mercer above us?

I will say I really didn't like the comment someone made above that you shoulda 'beat us by more ' or 'way closer than it shoulda been' ?? '? Look, we SUCK. SUCK. But we could've been up 14-0 before people got in their seats. How can anyone say you 'shoulda beat us by more ' when a Woff team - who always wins this stat - didn't even win Time of Possession vs a passing team? When is the last time that happened vs a heavy passing team? And some of the Woff fumbles weren't just bad luck.. I saw some of the game and we hit the pitch man HARD and he fumbled. That wasn't gifted to us. It wasn't random. Granted I didn't see the punt snafu. I assume that was just a Woff mistake. But a 2-6 Furman team COULD have won. Say we get up,14-0 on the fumble. Maybe you actually miss a FG :( Maybe we actually make a FG. #-o

This isn't like we needed ten things to change to win. We needed one maybe two. It was close. One missed fourth down catch by you all or one less Furman fumble and despite 2-6 we coulda won. Crazy. Again. Good win

I hope you can tell and have seen by my history that I am objective. Really. So let me say again. - we SUCK. You are better right now. All that said, I still think we are underrated though that isn't saying mush at 2-7. LOL. Just saying most 2-7 teams (like an ETSU) can't stay within a TD of all three Citadel, Chatt and Woff. The gap in us and you all isn't that far considering the enormous gap in the records . Citadel had a last 4th Q drive in Charleston to beat us and are undefeated. And that's before we were playing Hannon at QB!! And yet we sit at 2-7

Objectively a few notes - you have strong DL. You really do. Thought we did well not to give up more sacks. I would've guessed going in that you would get 3/4 sacks. ... I know a guy who plays and he said your DL is really good but is far better at run D than getting to the QB. Picking a poison, he said you should throw v Woff both because they play a soft coverage and the DE DL aren't as good at getting to the QB as they at shutting down a running game - which they are very good at. Seemed about right to me. You saw I noted that Blaze started the year and we would usually get two hundred yards passing and fourteen points per game. Then Hannon was inserted in game four and we went to 300 yes passing and 25 points per game. Which is about exactly what we got today. 300 yds passing

Just a note. I saw most of game. Not all
But I noted our yardage was almost exactly even in reverse
Furman 300 passing. 60 rushing
Wofford 60 passing. 300 rushing

I will say.. And I am assuming I get the mature Wofford crowd when I say this - Don't jump on me until you read it through. :D That didn't quite look like the best FCS D In the country we were playing? It looked like a very very good FCS D. hear me out. I am all about match ups - and that's why pre-game I noted that we had a small chance to win because we were honestly willing to throw 60-70% of our plays. I watched your game vs Citadel in person. THAT Wofford D looked really great. Like I said, match ups. Ayers seems content to allow the softer coverage. IE, Woffs run D is great. Great. Pass D is good but is the small chink in armor. I think there was only one sack and we got 300 yards passing. Many teams are far better than us w similar scheme - Samford locally...

You won. Congrats. ! If you make the playoffs what I would fear is a team like Samford (a better Furman). A team who will throw short routes a good bit but w slightly more talent than we have. A team who seems able to really block on the edges and push CBs around so their receivers get YAC.

Last note for now. Two things I didn't expect. That you would pass so little. You seem to have been passing 10-15 times per game lately but less today? That when you did pass TWO of the few passes would be reverse flea flickers. Nice coaching. Good job. I can see how we got caught on those. You all don't throw much but when you do a reverse flea flicker? TWICE? Great film study or something. We were completely lost.
go paladins
Socon's winningest program
88' national champions
85' 01' national finalists
gofurman
True Terrier Fan

PreviousNext

Return to Football