It's Furman Week

Southern Conference Champions - 2003, 2007, 2010, 2012, 2017
FCS Playoffs - 2003, 2007, 2008, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2016
FCS Playoff Semifinalists - 2003
FCS Playoff Quarterfinalists- 2016, 2017

Moderators: BestOfBreed, dungeonjoe

It's Furman Week

Postby Ruckus on Sat Oct 29, 2016 5:26 pm

One game season for Littlegiants and Ruckus. Beat Furple!!!!!
Last edited by Ruckus on Sat Oct 29, 2016 6:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ruckus
True Terrier Fan

Re: It's Fueman Week

Postby youngterrier on Sat Oct 29, 2016 5:53 pm

Beat Purple
Study hard, Work Hard, Party Hard, Go Terriers!
youngterrier
True Terrier Fan

Re: It's Furman Week

Postby Ruckus on Sat Oct 29, 2016 7:40 pm

Bump
Ruckus
True Terrier Fan

Postby youngterrier on Sat Oct 29, 2016 8:12 pm

If we don't turn the ball over, I see us winning 38-17.

No nuance in this analysis, I hate furman.

Beat Purple.
youngterrier
True Terrier Fan

Postby Ruckus on Sat Oct 29, 2016 8:15 pm

You are a scholar and a gentleman.
Great minds think alike.
Ruckus
True Terrier Fan

Postby 19TERRIER19 on Sat Oct 29, 2016 8:28 pm

Will Be another systematic beating of Furman.
19TERRIER19
True Terrier Fan

Postby Ruckus on Sat Oct 29, 2016 8:34 pm

Talk dirty to me....
Ruckus
True Terrier Fan

Postby dungeonjoe on Sat Oct 29, 2016 8:53 pm

it was great to see ruckus on the ESPN3 broadcast today...

beat Furman.
"There are things that you value and things that you will fight for. That is what today's all about. We fight for that short-haired dog and that name across your chest." Mike Ayers
dungeonjoe
True Terrier Fan

Postby boulder3m on Sat Oct 29, 2016 10:03 pm

Since I was there in person I missed that. Was he down there dancing with the cheerleaders?
boulder3m
True Terrier Fan

Postby youngterrier on Sat Oct 29, 2016 11:07 pm

if you go to the ESPN3 feed for after a flag was thrown (I want to say it was the ineligible man down field) he takes the spotlight.
youngterrier
True Terrier Fan

Postby woffordgrad94 on Sun Oct 30, 2016 4:27 am

Time to see what we're made of. Can we go into a very hostile environment in Greenville and get the job done? It pains me to say that we rarely have been able to do so in the past no matter the record of the Purple Pukes, but it is the truth. Hopefully this year is different.
woffordgrad94
True Terrier Fan

Postby gofurman on Sun Oct 30, 2016 1:16 pm

Let me start by saying I came here NOT to rile anyone up yet. Figured it's a day after you beat Mercer etc. good stuff for you. Nice win that keeps you in the hunt. Mercer is no pushover. That's for sure. You guys know me. I try to keep it pretty objective. Figured I would until Tuesady or so this week. Lol. :)

Then I see someone posted ' looking forward to ' ANOTHER systematic beating' of Furman.' A somewhat uneducated comment there. Those comments kill me. At least get facts. Apparently Wofford grad 94 is more aware of straight facts. Kudos to him.

NO FURMAN COACH in the last 30 years has ever finished w a losing record to Wofford. None. EVER. Not even people we fire. Bobby Lamb was either .500 or winning vs wofford. More to recent history the home team has won the last 8 games. Does that sound like there are consistent systematic beatings of Furman ? Not. At. All

Kind of like Mercer yesterday. Most of you commented (Bobby Lamb team) how they defended the option and running game pretty well. I watched the espn3 broadcast and they said the same. I heard at one point you all had more passing yards than running ? Something like 80 passing yards to 70 rushing at one point in second quarter I think. All that to say Furman coaches KNOW the option. Most of them ran it.

To show my objectivity you all are clearly a better team right now than us. Without a doubt. I am not blind. I attended your game v Citadel. Wofford was Very impressive. Very impressive. I felt Wofford was clearly the better team. Just snake bit by the horseshoe up Citadels asds. To show we too CAN stop the option my Paladins went to Charleston and down there .. Lost 19-14 and only gave 190 rushing yards to that same Citadel team. We CAN stop the option If we show up. Not sure we will. We have only played probably three or four full games of good effort and intensity where we come out firing. Heck. We haven't won a home game ! Road wins at ETSU and VMI the last two weeks. But we stunk in 2014 and won the last time you came to Gville. And we did stink - I am not advocating we were good at all... We were a 3 win team in 2014.

All that said, give me some insight for a day or two before we spit hatred. Cool? I will certainly do likewise. :D See below
go paladins
Socon's winningest program
88' national champions
85' 01' national finalists
gofurman
True Terrier Fan

Postby gofurman on Sun Oct 30, 2016 1:54 pm

So again. Figured I would trade facts/data until mid week. Then you can tell me my guys have no chance :D I would just like your thoughts on Wofford as I figure you guys that post here have good knowledge !

Basics. We are 2-6. My Paladins are 2. And. 6. Suck

0-6. Then 2-0. Schedule was clearly front-loaded. Michigan State. Coastal Carolina (FBS next year). Citadel and Chatt. That was our September. Lost to Citadel by 5 in Charleston 14-19 . Lost to Chatt 21-14 in Gville. 0-4 SUCKS. but the two FBS does suck. I hate two FBS. One I understand. The Coastal transition is something of an anomaly I admit.

I honestly think after sucking last year 4-7(?) that this September schedule was not what we needed. We needed ETSU or VMI early. Something positive. And so we hung our heads - no excuse for that. No excuse. It just appears that is what happened.

Then Samford and Kennesaw State. Worst half of Furman football ever was vs KSU. Second year program. Crushed us 49-14 (?) in first half. A Dam second year program???? Note - we were missing our two far-and-away best linebackers (Carl Rider over 300 tackles and Johnson). but I don't care. Playing a second year program with our players having four or five years together there is no excuse. Down 49-14 at half (I think) we came flying back to lose 52-42. So second half we allowed 3 points. We scored roughy 30. And that's my point in the prior post. We have halves we DONT EVEN SHOW UP. At all.

Every team says that. "Which team will show up?" "Will we play hard?" I don't say that often. Really hate those phrases. Seem like cop-out phrases to me usually. But this Furman team is the most Jeckyll and Hyde EVER. Two weeks later we play ETSU - who played even w kennesaw State to overtime. And we never punt. Not once. 7 TDs. A fg. Knelt to end game. 52-7. But ETSU stinks

Then vs vmi yesterday who beat ETSU by 30. We beat them up. Knocked QB Cobb out of game. (You guys may not see Cobb who makes that team go). Not sure if he will be back. 500 yards offense.

I will say three key guys, two we have, one we don't - we are inept on D without Rider and Johnson at LB. we have them. Without them kennesaw state ran all over us. Horrible. With them, Citadel struggled. We have them back. Playing Michigan State you could tell we had a true FBS big 5 talent in Morehead at running back. They struggled to contain him. He had About 90 yards rushing vs MSU. Put it this way, many of you know Richard Hayes as Fu and wofford recruited him hard. Hayes is only playing because Morehead true freshman is out. 18 year old already supplanted Richard Hayes as our starting RB. Straight out of high school better than Senior Hayes. And he is. It's easy to see. Durnn. We lost him in game two v Citadel. Hasn't been back since. Out for year. True game changer at tailback. Heard a guy on other team say we had a guy definitely worthy of an NFL pro-day. Yep, He was taking about Morehead. Kills me. We got 6 quarters and then he was out for year.

But you guys lost Jacks before year. Tons of linebacker injuries. Scary injuries too w Roach and the kid v Citadel. Glad to hear they are ok! Q- Your guy who hurt his neck v citadel. Scary. Was he a linebacker?
Last edited by gofurman on Sun Oct 30, 2016 2:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
go paladins
Socon's winningest program
88' national champions
85' 01' national finalists
gofurman
True Terrier Fan

Postby youngterrier on Sun Oct 30, 2016 2:00 pm

I don't think Furman has the offensive horses to score enough to beat us.

The last few games they played good offense against so-so to poor defenses. Furman can surely pass the ball, but it's not what they want to do, and that will benefit the Terriers. In the games we lost against them, Furman was able to control the pace of the game with a strong running game and an efficient passing game.

Our run defense is among the best in the nation, and though Mercer was able to put up the average numbers against us, I think their QB having a running ability differentiates them from Furman. If I'm wrong and Furman's QB has a decent running ability, maybe they'll have a chance at running on us. If not, I don't see them lining up and shoving it down our throat all day long.

And so, they will try to pass the ball and they'll get their yards off of that, but the point is that that is not how Furman WANTS to play.

I don't predict a shut out. I wouldn't be surprised if this game was in the same tune as the Mercer game, of about 31-21 or so. Once again, turnovers will be key.

Unlike in prior years when the terriers made the trip up to Greenville, however, Furman will not have the mental edge over the Terriers. The last two meetings in Greenville saw a superior Furman team beat Wofford the first round, and a demoralized Wofford team demolished by a bad Furman team (Wofford had no shot at the playoffs after a loss to Chattanooga a week prior, and the team just did not care.). You won't see that this week. Wofford is in playoff mode right now.

So my prediction right now is 31-17, 38-17 if we don't turn the ball over.

Our offense is consistent in its consistency (scores of 21,26, 31 x 3), but I'm waiting for that one conference game where we just wake up and come alive. That'll be this week, I think.
youngterrier
True Terrier Fan

Postby BigJohn94 on Sun Oct 30, 2016 3:28 pm

Beat the Barnies
"Ultimately, you are not defined by your height, weight, or speed; you'll be defined by your heart, you'll be defined by your passion." Coach Mike Ayers
BigJohn94
2011 Pickem Champ

Next

Return to Football