Mercer

Southern Conference Champions - 2003, 2007, 2010, 2012
FCS Playoffs - 2003, 2007, 2008, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2016
FCS Playoff Semifinalists - 2003
FCS Playoff Quarterfinalists- 2016

Moderators: BestOfBreed, dungeonjoe

Re: Mercer

Postby 19TERRIER19 on Mon Oct 31, 2016 4:24 pm

Actually, with both Goodson and Butler we have the ability to throw the ball very well. Obviously the duck to Gouger wasnt a thing of beauty, but it was all he needed as he tried to finesse that pass, it got away from him......but we have been able to attack down field as noted by the deep ball to RJ that led to the Pass interference call. We have that ability on any play if we actually attempted it. That dynamic could be emphasized and used and keeps teams on their toes. It pisses me off we dont do more of it, as we have a very good tight end and a strong group of receivers. We are constantly matched up in 1 on 1 matchups and with Brandon's throwing ability we can exploit over anxious defenses. Mercer was a small sample of how we can attack. The option step back pass can be a killer to team trying to run the alley and stop the outside option.
19TERRIER19
True Terrier Fan

Postby walliver on Mon Oct 31, 2016 4:26 pm

youngterrier wrote:I'm of the unpopular opinion that Ben Widmyer was our best QB in the past 15 years or so because he had the most efficient arm and consistent running ability (fight me).

I don't think that is an unpopular opinion at all. I always wondered why he played so little his first three years (although fumbling was an issue). I really wish he could have taken a redshirt year. The trio of Mitch Allen, Brenton Bersin and Eric Breitenstein was quite memorable in 2011, but I've always felt that Widmyer was the last of the true option QB's.

Looking back, Collier was a great athlete, but never seemed comfortable running the option. Kass was really a spread option type QB. Weimer never recovered from his knee injury, but was really built more like a wide receiver than QB. Jacks played injured last year and never got a chance this year.

I'm hoping that Newman will be the guy that brings back the old triple option. Do we red-shirt him next year, or let him compete against two seniors?

On the bright side, in 2012, we played a third-string walk-on QB and came with 7 points of NDSU in a game in which we had opportunities (and the last offensive play call still bothers me).
walliver
True Terrier Fan

Postby LITTLEGIANTS on Mon Oct 31, 2016 6:40 pm

+1 on Widmeyer, the gold standard in my opinion. Although ill say mitch grows in my opinion everytime i watch Goodson break a run i think Mitch would have taken it to the house.
LITTLEGIANTS
True Terrier Fan

Postby boulder3m on Mon Oct 31, 2016 7:02 pm

19, I agree 100% with the assessment that the step back throw is a killer to defenses that have to go against the TO. Goodson DOES have a strong arm if given the opportunity to throw, and we have some strong receivers and RB's who can catch the ball. I think my comments on the speed and quickness of Goodson are being misunderstood. He is slow to execute the option-note being run down in the Mercer game by a defensive lineman. He is not quick to stutter step and make his decision. He appears to have adequate speed once he has committed to run. However, his slowness to get the option going, IMO, is the cause for some of the pitches having to be 10 yard tosses rather than the normal 4-5. That is a formula for disaster, and it was exploited by The Citadel. My point is that he does some things very well. Let's emphasize the positive and try to eliminate the negative.
boulder3m
True Terrier Fan

Postby WocoSix on Mon Oct 31, 2016 7:54 pm

I like BG as a change of pace QB and backup role QB. But to be honest ... with Evan Jacks or even Butler we would more than likely be sitting at 7-1 right now. I can think of a few plays in the Samford and Citadel game that could have been game changers(a missed wide open WR or a QB keep that would be housed or used to convert a 4th down). With that said if we can find away to make the playoffs BG will have gained enough experience and hopefully would have found his niche. Now... only if we can find away to work a few designed plays in for Newman
WocoSix
True Terrier Fan

Postby Loyalterrier on Mon Oct 31, 2016 8:11 pm

Loyalterrier

Postby Terrier NH Dude on Mon Oct 31, 2016 8:44 pm

Bounce back for BG; from GoUpstate:

http://www.goupstate.com/sports/2016103 ... l-security

Banging the drum to provide Newman additional reps and give BG a breather...forces opponents to defend a different type of attack and fosters the development of the future QB.
Terrier NH Dude
True Terrier Fan

Postby Ruckus on Mon Oct 31, 2016 9:38 pm

+1 on Newman.
Nothing against BG, other than the CID game he has played fairly well. But he was behind Jacks and Butler for a reason. Enough said.
No way we RS Newman next year especially if we continue to go live on our QBs in the preseason.
I just don't understand how other teams like CSU, CID, GSU can recruit TO QBs and we can't/don't. But then what do I know.
Ruckus
True Terrier Fan

Postby Eyes of Old Main on Tue Nov 01, 2016 12:22 am

I'm still disappointed that we pulled the redshirt on Newman and then played him in just a couple series. I realize we were down to Goodson, Howerton and Newman at that point (still are), but either push through with the upperclassmen or integrate Newman and make the most of his freshman year.
SoCon Champs '03, '07, '10, '12
I-AA Playoffs '03, '07, '08, '10, '11, '12, '16
I-AA Semifinals '03
D-II Playoffs '90, '91
NAIA Finals '70
SC Little 4 Champs '48, '49, '50, '51, '52, '54, '56, '57, '61, '62, '63, '64
Cigar Bowl Participant '50
Eyes of Old Main
True Terrier Fan

Postby mudrat43 on Tue Nov 01, 2016 8:11 pm

Agree with you Eyes. Nobody on the planet believes WOF is going to make hay with the forward pass (at least until the present regime is long gone). Newman is the better TO player on the roster. Heck, he can throw a diversion pass once in a while! If WOF doesn't have a world beater QB recruit we don't yet know about, Newman is the future!
mudrat43
True Terrier Fan

Previous

Return to Football