This might be the most heartbreaking Wofford game ever!

Southern Conference Champions - 2003, 2007, 2010, 2012
FCS Playoffs - 2003, 2007, 2008, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2016
FCS Playoff Semifinalists - 2003
FCS Playoff Quarterfinalists- 2016

Moderators: dungeonjoe, BestOfBreed

This might be the most heartbreaking Wofford game ever!

Postby woffordgrad94 on Sat Oct 22, 2016 4:49 pm

If it isn't then it's sure up there. I thought we had this one. I'm sick for our team and fans. That fumble may of cost us the playoffs. I hope everyone at The Citadel knows that they didn't beat us, we beat ourselves. This one will be hard to recover from. So close, yet so far away. But close only counts in horseshoes and hand grenades. And there is absolutely no such thing as a moral victory. I am just so disappointed that words can't describe it...it sucks when the game comes down to one play like that..the poor guy that fumbled will never forget it and my heart goes out to him. I mean it could happen to anyone- just very unfortunate.
woffordgrad94
True Terrier Fan

Re: This might be the most heartbreaking Wofford game ever!

Postby walliver on Sat Oct 22, 2016 7:06 pm

The two horrible pitches affected the outcome more than the fumble in OT. The fumble was just one of many errors including the fumble on the 6 and the blocked FG.
walliver
True Terrier Fan

Postby Ruckus on Sat Oct 22, 2016 8:05 pm

Players got to make plays and ours didn't. End of story.
Ruckus
True Terrier Fan

Postby youngterrier on Sun Oct 23, 2016 3:03 pm

Goodson should have just "eaten" that last pitch, taken the loss, and punted. It was a mistake. We made mistakes and lost a game we shouldn't have. I've been talking about turnovers a lot on here and how we were due for an outlier game...and we got it this week. In a strict technical sense it is Goodson's "fault" but at the same time, the offense ran really well outside of the turnovers and that's his fault as well. He had a bad game, or a bad play. it happens.

The "good" news is that it was against a good team and in some ways it's a "quality loss." We win out, Samford continues to win, we make the playoffs. The Socon is a very good conference this year, and we're the unlucky ones due to our own mistakes. We're a good team, but not a great team yet. I had to sound like a Gamecock, but Next Year we're gonna be pretty strong.

The Citadel is a very good team. They're going to go at the least 9-2, probably 10-1. To be undefeated in conference play in a tough league such as the Socon, you need some luck. I would say Wofford, Samford, Citadel, and Chattanooga, in aggregate are about the same quality teams and if you have a bad day and make too many mistakes, you'll get routed. Citadel has the hardest part of their schedule behind them, sans Samford.

But this season isn't over yet. Playoffs start now for us. We're 4-3, but winning 4 straight isn't outside of the realm of possibility. If we win out, we could be a quaterfinalist quality team, because I think they'd likely put us, Citadel, and Chuck South in the same bracket. Even though we've made mistakes and we have to play better, I still think we could make a run in the playoffs if we're good enough to make the playoffs. Obviously we can't get ahead of ourselves.

Right now, we're a 7-4 team. Good, but not Great. No guarantee of the playoffs, we have to play our best ball. I wouldn't want to be Mercer next week.
Study hard, Work Hard, Party Hard, Go Terriers!
youngterrier
True Terrier Fan

Postby walliver on Sun Oct 23, 2016 4:53 pm

youngterrier wrote:Goodson should have just "eaten" that last pitch, taken the loss, and punted. It was a mistake. We made mistakes and lost a game we shouldn't have. I've been talking about turnovers a lot on here and how we were due for an outlier game...and we got it this week. In a strict technical sense it is Goodson's "fault" but at the same time, the offense ran really well outside of the turnovers and that's his fault as well. He had a bad game, or a bad play. it happens.

The "good" news is that it was against a good team and in some ways it's a "quality loss." We win out, Samford continues to win, we make the playoffs. The Socon is a very good conference this year, and we're the unlucky ones due to our own mistakes. We're a good team, but not a great team yet. I had to sound like a Gamecock, but Next Year we're gonna be pretty strong.

The Citadel is a very good team. They're going to go at the least 9-2, probably 10-1. To be undefeated in conference play in a tough league such as the Socon, you need some luck. I would say Wofford, Samford, Citadel, and Chattanooga, in aggregate are about the same quality teams and if you have a bad day and make too many mistakes, you'll get routed. Citadel has the hardest part of their schedule behind them, sans Samford.

But this season isn't over yet. Playoffs start now for us. We're 4-3, but winning 4 straight isn't outside of the realm of possibility. If we win out, we could be a quaterfinalist quality team, because I think they'd likely put us, Citadel, and Chuck South in the same bracket. Even though we've made mistakes and we have to play better, I still think we could make a run in the playoffs if we're good enough to make the playoffs. Obviously we can't get ahead of ourselves.

Right now, we're a 7-4 team. Good, but not Great. No guarantee of the playoffs, we have to play our best ball. I wouldn't want to be Mercer next week.

I doubt the SoCon gets 4 teams in and the team with which we would compete for the last spot would be Samford. We really need Samford to lose to the Citadel and one other SoCon team to have a good shot at the playoffs.

Right now, we just need to worry about Mercer.
walliver
True Terrier Fan

Postby mudrat43 on Sun Oct 23, 2016 5:02 pm

Yeah, this was the biggest "rip your heart out and step on it" thing I've ever seen. Now is when coaching and leadership either rises to the surface or slinks off and wilts. Me thinks it rises, and they get after it like no mans business!!
mudrat43
True Terrier Fan

Postby youngterrier on Sun Oct 23, 2016 5:13 pm

walliver wrote:
youngterrier wrote:Goodson should have just "eaten" that last pitch, taken the loss, and punted. It was a mistake. We made mistakes and lost a game we shouldn't have. I've been talking about turnovers a lot on here and how we were due for an outlier game...and we got it this week. In a strict technical sense it is Goodson's "fault" but at the same time, the offense ran really well outside of the turnovers and that's his fault as well. He had a bad game, or a bad play. it happens.

I doubt the SoCon gets 4 teams in and the team with which we would compete for the last spot would be Samford. We really need Samford to lose to the Citadel and one other SoCon team to have a good shot at the playoffs.

Right now, we just need to worry about Mercer.

Right now according to some metrics the Socon is the #3 conference in terms of SOS. Conferences like the CAA and Big Sky may have just as many "good teams" as us, but because they're so big, their schedules don't allow them to play everybody (in the FBS having a big conference is an advantage, look at the SEC compared to the Big 12, not so in playoff football).

The Socon performing very well OOC (ETSU beating Kennesaw, Samford beating Central Arkansas) helped overall standing.

Considering there was one team last year that had a 6-5 record and I think the MVFC had 4-5 teams in the playoffs. If you have 4 Socon teams with 8 wins, you'll have 4 playoff teams.

The problem is, if there's 3, we're the odd one out. If we're 7-4 with a loss against Chatt, we're probably not going to get in because we'll lack a quality W. If we beat Chattanooga and Citadel beats Samford like a drum, we'll be in good shape. The fact that the playoff field is 24 teams and not 16 as it used to be is huge in terms of helping our playoff making ability. Had we not played Johnson C Smith we may well be a playoff team at 7-4. In the future we need to not have Division 2 teams on our schedule. It hurts our playoff chances.

I say play the likes of PC, Gardner Webb and Charleston Southern every year. I know Chuck South would be a tough one, but so what?
Study hard, Work Hard, Party Hard, Go Terriers!
youngterrier
True Terrier Fan

Postby 19TERRIER19 on Mon Oct 24, 2016 9:53 am

Win out and we will have done what we could do. Losing 3 games to ranked opponents, the fcs ones by a combined 5 points. Wofford is a playoff caliber team. Best defense in the nation by far.
19TERRIER19
True Terrier Fan

Postby WTFan on Mon Oct 24, 2016 10:15 am

Winning out will be difficult. Playing Chatty at their place and @Furman (seems we always bring out their best). Even if we were to do so there are no guarantees. Years past we would always win these games it seems. Everyone said the Citadel game would come down to turnovers and it surely did. In a big bad terrible way. Just gut wrenching. We were so close to truly being back in the mix. It has been way too long. Great atmosphere on Saturday with tons of fans on both sides. Hopefully the players can bounce back quicker than this old dog.
WTFan
True Terrier Fan

Postby Eyes of Old Main on Wed Oct 26, 2016 10:46 pm

Its true that Wofford used to always win these type games. I'm not sure that the two conference losses this year are because we've lost something, or maybe its the law of averages, or maybe others just had better games, or maybe it just is what it is. No matter what, Ruckus is right and it all boils down to execution. If Wofford executes just a little better then they are undefeated in the conference right now and our conversation is much different right now.

I choose to look at this differently. I think learning to overcome this is just another step in our development. Our guys years ago learned to win and our program went on a nice run. If we learn to win again then another run is possible with our current talent. At this point, I choose to stay the course, cheer like there no tomorrow and hope for the results to come.

The other side of this is to see how the Terriers respond. Looking back two years and comparing it to now seems appropriate. That season, Wofford needed to beat Chattanooga to remain in the hunt for a conference championship and lost in a close game. The following week, with a SoCon title off the table, a vastly superior Wofford team laid an egg in Greenville and let an injury decimated Furman team walk all over them. Them, the following week, most expected Wofford to not show up in the season finale and stumble into the offseason with a whimper against a Mercer team that was playing everyone tough. The end result was a clinical domination of the Bears in all facets. So, which Wofford squad shows up this week? Do they tuck tail, mail it in and get crushed, or do they regroup, fix the problems and put together 60 minute sof inspired Terrier football? Time will tell.
SoCon Champs '03, '07, '10, '12
I-AA Playoffs '03, '07, '08, '10, '11, '12, '16
I-AA Semifinals '03
D-II Playoffs '90, '91
NAIA Finals '70
SC Little 4 Champs '48, '49, '50, '51, '52, '54, '56, '57, '61, '62, '63, '64
Cigar Bowl Participant '50
Eyes of Old Main
True Terrier Fan

Postby lawdog on Wed Oct 26, 2016 11:32 pm

Well said Eyes
lawdog
True Terrier Fan

Postby BigJohn94 on Thu Oct 27, 2016 7:52 am

We can't go back and replay that game, hoping for a different outcome. If the team was like us and kept dwelling on the Bellhops and not preparing for the Bearcubs, they'll repeat that scenario. Time to move on. That's why the windshield is big and the rear view mirror is small.
"Ultimately, you are not defined by your height, weight, or speed; you'll be defined by your heart, you'll be defined by your passion." Coach Mike Ayers
BigJohn94
2011 Pickem Champ

Return to Football