Where Do We Stand?

Southern Conference Champions - 2003, 2007, 2010, 2012, 2017
FCS Playoffs - 2003, 2007, 2008, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2016
FCS Playoff Semifinalists - 2003
FCS Playoff Quarterfinalists- 2016, 2017

Moderators: BestOfBreed, dungeonjoe

Where Do We Stand?

Postby lawdog on Mon Oct 10, 2016 12:45 pm

I would begin, by saying we have improved as a team. Our pass D has weathered some storms and is better as a result. Our QB is also getting more comfortable at a rapid clip.

What else?
lawdog
True Terrier Fan

Re: Where Do We Stand?

Postby youngterrier on Mon Oct 10, 2016 2:13 pm

All questions will be answered in terms of our potential will be answered against the Citadel
Study hard, Work Hard, Party Hard, Go Terriers!
youngterrier
True Terrier Fan

Postby lawdog on Mon Oct 10, 2016 3:24 pm

On paper at this point, both teams look good, but it looks like Chatt (#3) is stronger than Cid (#9). But then, Chatt has had a fortunate run of home dates. We have the talent and experience to match up with either, unless we beat ourselves.
lawdog
True Terrier Fan

Postby youngterrier on Mon Oct 10, 2016 4:22 pm

We turn the ball over less than any team in the conference so far. I'm scared of when that trend gives, because it inevitably will.

When we stick to it, we are a very good football team
youngterrier
True Terrier Fan

Postby 19TERRIER19 on Mon Oct 10, 2016 4:32 pm

Great post. Lets look at it. Through 6 games we are 2 points away from being undefeated in the FCS level. Having played the 3 most challenging offenses on our schedule to date, Ole Miss, Sammy and WCU....who are pass heavy offenses, Wofford still sits at

#1 in the Nation Rushing Defense
#2 in the Nation Total Defense
#4 in the nation scoring defense

We are the #5 ranked rushing offense in the nation
#4 in Sacks allowed
#1 in the Nation Net Punt average.
#1 in the nation in Time of Possession.

So it would appear we are very stout on the defensive side of the ball especially against the run. And we are doing a great job when we are forced to punt and we are flipping the field. And when we have the ball we are doing a great job of sustaining drives. If not for a sloppy helping of penalties we would be sitting atop the conference right now. I love our position and the placement of the BYE week this week. Allows some healing and extra prep time for a very good Citadel team that we get to watch play the other leader in our conference Chatt this saturday.

Goodson has really played extremely well and adds a dimension to our offense. We can really be effective throwing the ball. I think this makes us very challenging to defend. Our O Line has played as advertised along with the D line. This next game is a great opportunity to really cement who we are and that we are for real.

I think the numbers tell the story. We are a really good football team, and if we take care of ourselves with penalties, we are going to be in every game against anyone. I see something special with this group and think that we find a way to take care of business at Gibbs field and announce to the country that Wofford is back. And is a legit Top 10 type team. I think Citadel is holding Wofford's place for us. WE just have to go take it.
19TERRIER19
True Terrier Fan

Postby drpnut on Mon Oct 10, 2016 5:01 pm

We have a strong D, and our Offense is maturing. Kicking game is good, but coverage team still needs some work.

If we cut down on penalties and mental lapses and continue to have few or no turnovers we will be a tough out for all left on our schedule. Citadel will not run for 300 yards on us and all know that they cannot pass. I believe we can keep them off balance with the emergence of our pass game. Chatty will be tough, but if we play our style of ball we can get them as well.

Word of wisdom--we certainly better not sleep on anyone especially VMI. We went up to their joint in 2002 (or was it 2004) very cocky and lost and that loss kept us out of the playoffs. We better be careful.
drpnut
True Terrier Fan

Postby 19TERRIER19 on Mon Oct 10, 2016 5:02 pm

Speaking of VMI.....really surprised by what they did to ETSU......sheesh.
19TERRIER19
True Terrier Fan

Postby 19TERRIER19 on Mon Oct 10, 2016 5:04 pm

Samford back in the top 25 coming in at #24.
19TERRIER19
True Terrier Fan

Postby Ruckus on Mon Oct 10, 2016 5:20 pm

That could be us if we pull that game out.
Ruckus
True Terrier Fan

Postby youngterrier on Mon Oct 10, 2016 5:48 pm

We beat Citadel, and we're in the top 25. Nuff said.
youngterrier
True Terrier Fan

Postby youngterrier on Mon Oct 10, 2016 6:09 pm

If you look at the stats 19 posted, it's indicative of why we're successful right now.

This team offensively is different from prior teams for a variety of reasons. We've only turned the ball over twice in 6 games (our best offense probably ever in 2008 turned it over something like 5 times through 7-8 games)... I have to reiterate that there's probably going to be a game where we turn the ball over a couple times, just as a matter or probability. Turning the ball over only twice in 6 games is just absurd and part of that is luck, but another part of is the decisions of the QB, etc.

On top of that, leading with TOP, being so successful on third down and the high number of fourth down conversions says something about our offense that hasn't been true in recent memory. Though we may not be barn burners in terms of big big plays (how many long runs have we busted this year, I would imagine not many relative to prior years), we get a lot more yardage on first and second down, making third down very manageable, and if we don't convert and it's 4th and 2 or less, we go for it and we're 75% (or so) of the time successful

That could indicate a couple things: either better protection by the OL or better reads by the QB (either one is something you welcome).

Goodson is also a lot better passer than we give him credit (check the highlight reel of the third down pass he threw to Gay against Western, it was right. on. the. money. This adds another element to our offense that we didn't have before: an intermediate passing game. I don't remember us having an effective intermediate passing game probably ever. Even in 2008 most of our passes were bombs thrown deep, but not this year (though we certainly give it a try). The threat of an intermediate pass game makes our dive plays on third and mid to long look a little less stupid because defenses now can't load the box too much because we can convert on third and 7 or third and 9.

From this, I couldn't tell you if our playcalling has gotten better because our players are executing better or because our players are executing better because the playcalling has gotten better, but my intuition is that it's a little bit of both.

All of this translate to better time of possession, gives our defense a rest, when our defense in its own right is pretty top tier. It's the past our best defense has been a good offense (though 2012 and 2003 were probably exceptions), this year it's sort of the same story, but for different reasons. We don't try to out-score other teams in the 30s and 40s. We hold the ball, are more efficient with it, we don't turn it over, and we burn the clock. When we're in fourth down situations we're either in a situation where we can pin them deep with a good punt (that's an improvement over last year) or we can put points on the board with a field goal.

From there, our defense is better at getting pressure and our young secondary is extremely talented in spite of its youth.

The one big mistake we've made this season was probably that 4th down call early in the Samford game. I can't blame the coaches for it, to be honest with you. We gambled and lost, that's how it works. Given our position on the field and the favorable situation (4th and 2 from our own 35) I'd say 70% of the time we make it. I think if the coaches knew how well we played defense and special teams (Samford was our second conference game and we had a lot of question marks at that time) then like now, they may not have gone for it.

All this doesn't translate to a team that will score 50 every game or even 30 every game, but it does translate to a team that's going to hold people below 30 and have a chance at 30 in every game. It's not flashy, but it gets the job done (when in the past we tried flash and it didn't). You could say it's Wofford football.
youngterrier
True Terrier Fan

Postby lawdog on Mon Oct 10, 2016 6:26 pm

I don't know when we have ever had as MANY big tough hard hitters on both sides of the ball, including two deep. We are also getting out on the edge with our blocking as well as ever ... that REALLY matters ... get a piece of somebody!
lawdog
True Terrier Fan

Postby Buckeyeterrier on Mon Oct 10, 2016 10:53 pm

lawdog, +1 ... Well said!
Buckeyeterrier
Terrier Pup

Postby mudrat43 on Tue Oct 11, 2016 3:39 pm

Looking at WOF vs El Cid in stats so far this year....
WOF avg. 30.17 pts. per game....El Cid 29.8 a wash
WOF rushing 374 yds. per game....El Cid 389 per game a wash
WOF passing 35/60 58%....El Cid 18/38 47% favor us
WOF total off. 460....El Cid 454 a wash
WOF penalties 66 yds. per game....El Cid 58.8 iffy
WOF TOP 35:37....El Cid 35 a wash
Can't get much closer than that in game stats. To win, we gotta play really good. For them to win, they gotta play really good. We get home field (can't be bad) and great fan support. Me thinks special teams and zero mistakes playing will determine the winner. Me also thinks that we need to use the pass as an offensive weapon instead of just a decoy (which I think we do). We don't pass....they don't pass! But someone could get caught napping! This is a really BIG game for both teams!!
mudrat43
True Terrier Fan

Postby woffordgrad94 on Tue Oct 11, 2016 5:59 pm

I was devastated after our loss to Samford. I was thinking "here we go again, always losing the games that really count" and "another year of mediocrity." But after really thinking about it, I've changed my mind. First, we played Sammy on the road and we really could have, SHOULD have won...untimely penalties kept us from doing so. We didn't play near our best game yet we still only lost by two points to a very good Sammy team that went on to destroy the Furples. Then we bounced back to beat WCU on the road. We are definitely an improved team.

I think we should beat The Citadel. Yes, they are undefeated, but who have they really played? Chatty will be their first real test of the year and they have already had some close shaves. I think they could be overrated- the Chatty game will tell us a lot. Plus, they play to our defensive strength- the run the ball. We are hard to run on. And we have them at home in Gibbs. And they have to get ready to play a very tough game Saturday while we have a bye week. If they win, we could be a letdown game for them. If they lose, they could come into Spartanburg a bit demoralized. In any event, I predict a Wofford victory over The Citadel.
woffordgrad94
True Terrier Fan

Next

Return to Football