Moderators: BestOfBreed, dungeonjoe

Around the SoCon.....

Postby 19TERRIER19 on Sat Sep 17, 2016 8:27 pm

Mercer survives at home against Tenn Tech
ETSU beats WCU
Gardner Webb Ian beating El CID
Chart and Furman in a low scoring slug fest
Wofford handles D2 school handily.

I feel good about our chances for the socon crown. But I always have about this season.
19TERRIER19
True Terrier Fan

Re: Around the SoCon.....

Postby Loyalterrier on Sat Sep 17, 2016 8:48 pm

Mercer survives at home against Tenn Tech
Terriers handled TTU fairly well at their place and TTU played Mercer very tough at Mercer. Based on that it appears that we would have the upper hand against Mercer
Gardner Webb Ian beating El CID
GW lost to WCU 41 - 14
GW gave Cit all they could handle and had a lead at least twice in the second half.
WCU lost to ETSU.
So it appears that ETSU is legit and we had better be ready
And what does that say about Cit ? So far they don't appear to be playing like they did last year

But of course all that is speculation. Comparing scores like that does not prove anything. Games are won on the field. We need to play well against ETSU or else we will be in trouble.

19 I agree. I like our chances too.
Loyalterrier

Postby lawdog on Sat Sep 17, 2016 9:34 pm

Furman's D looks pretty good. Their O, not so much, surprisingly. Chatt is stout and pulling away. I think we can stack up with Chatt, but we will need to use our depth.
Last edited by lawdog on Sun Sep 18, 2016 10:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
lawdog
True Terrier Fan

Postby boulder3m on Sat Sep 17, 2016 9:56 pm

I thought Reece Hannon was supposed to be the savior of Furman football. He appears to have been "Pipped," but then went back in as a sub.
boulder3m
True Terrier Fan

Postby boulder3m on Sat Sep 17, 2016 10:08 pm

OK, I know it's not the Southern Conference, but our newspaper is the paper of Appalachian State, and the front page articles have been HUGE ones all week about Miami going to Boone. Most of my friends have really gotten tired of it, since there are lots of fans of other state teams here. However, there must be a large contingent of Appie fans who read the Winston-Salem Journal, so they give them too much coverage. Needless to say, it appears their fans got a little ahead of themselves after they went to Tennessee. Now they are back to a schedule of playing obscure teams from obscure places that none of their fans want to see. Bless their hearts...
boulder3m
True Terrier Fan

Postby Loyalterrier on Sat Oct 15, 2016 12:44 pm

Only end of 1st qtr but FU leads ETSU 21-0. Wait FU scored at beginning of 2nd qtr. Now 28-0
Loyalterrier

Postby youngterrier on Sat Oct 15, 2016 1:41 pm

35-0 Furman at the half

I think it's safe to say that ETSU's win against Western was more about Western not having a great defense and ETSU stealing one. ETSU is kind of like Mercer was a few years ago but I think the Socon is just better top-to-bottom.

Furman, on the other, as much **** I give them is a solid team that could win their remaining games, including against us. They have a QB that can pass the ball and a defense that's under-performed but is still well-coached.

The key to beating them is stopping the run, put them behind early, and have them rely on the pass. Their QB today completed something like his first 12 passes, that just tells you ETSU isn't getting enough pressure on the QB.
Study hard, Work Hard, Party Hard, Go Terriers!
youngterrier
True Terrier Fan

Postby 19TERRIER19 on Sat Oct 15, 2016 1:52 pm

I think Furman's D has been strong all season. It is their offense that bogs down at times.
19TERRIER19
True Terrier Fan

Postby mudrat43 on Sat Oct 15, 2016 4:19 pm

Cid leading Chatty 17-14 at the half. Two big physical teams duking it out. Chatty a bit more balanced in the pass/run category....Cid just flat runs it! Second half should be pretty interesting in the adjustment department.
mudrat43
True Terrier Fan

Postby lawdog on Sat Oct 15, 2016 4:43 pm

Samford rolling big on VMI. Passing unstoppable.
lawdog
True Terrier Fan

Postby youngterrier on Sat Oct 15, 2016 4:52 pm

Samford is a playoff team. They just have to hold onto this one. I imagine they'll be favored against ETSU, Mercer, and Western, while Citadel is a toss up game. I think they'll win 8 games and make the playoffs. I don't really feel bad about our defense's performance against Samford

Citadel and Chatt are in a tough one, Citadel up 17-14 with 8 minutes left in the third. Citadel is minimizing mistakes and converting on third downs (10/11 in the first half). This will be close going into the fourth.

Furman throttled ETSU, and I think it's clear ETSU was a one trick pony win wise this year.

Mercer and Western having a hard time scoring, tied at 0 but with 3 FGs missed between the two teams.

I reiterate how big our game against Citadel next week is going to be.
youngterrier
True Terrier Fan

Postby boulder3m on Sat Oct 15, 2016 5:03 pm

Really impressed with how good Citadel is. They are just lining up an running it down the throat of Chatty. NO passing game, but a pretty stout defense. Somewhat vulnerable to the pass and most outside plays.
boulder3m
True Terrier Fan

Postby youngterrier on Sat Oct 15, 2016 5:45 pm

Citadel dominated them in the trenches.

Was the first decent defense either team played and Citadel looked more impressive. Kept Chatt under 100 yards rushing and their EB-like runningback (not an exaggeration) got injured. Overall, Citadel did everything right.

We're gonna have to bring our A game next week. Hopefully we can. It'll be a season-defining game I think.
youngterrier
True Terrier Fan

Postby mudrat43 on Sat Oct 15, 2016 6:01 pm

Cid is the real deal. Thumped Chatty in every aspect of the game....and man-o-man did they run the ball. 81 total plays, 4 pass attempts. 342 yds on the ground. Yeah, we for sure better bring our A game. Run defense will be the name of the game next week. All that said, if they coach 'em-up, and the team gets their collective minds right, the SHD's can give Cid all they want on the ground!!!
mudrat43
True Terrier Fan

Postby 19TERRIER19 on Sat Oct 15, 2016 7:33 pm

Strength on strength. Show me a team that can run the ball on us. I haven't seen one this year. And don't plan on it being this week. This result couldn't be any better for wofford. Win out and I believe the concern crown is ours. This week is everything. Biggest game that's happened around here in a few years.
19TERRIER19
True Terrier Fan

Next

Return to Football