2 Games In......Grade the team so far.

Southern Conference Champions - 2003, 2007, 2010, 2012, 2017
FCS Playoffs - 2003, 2007, 2008, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2016
FCS Playoff Semifinalists - 2003
FCS Playoff Quarterfinalists- 2016

Moderators: BestOfBreed, dungeonjoe

2 Games In......Grade the team so far.

Postby 19TERRIER19 on Mon Sep 12, 2016 9:50 am

I think we are right on schedule. Sitting 1-1 (Undefeated in the FCS) and to my knowledge we are pretty healthy coming through the big FBS game. (Michael and Evan not withstanding obviously). And after 2 games I think we have to be very pleased and extremely excited about our potential and about our play thus far. Are there things we can address??? Obviously.......do we have any glaring weaknesses???? Not at all. In fact, I think the way we have competed, and the poise and composure of the team thus far exude a confidence we have lacked in years past. Ole Miss obviously was the bigger more athletic team, but in no way, shape, or form did we simply lay down and let em have the game. The boys went out and fought. And gave them all they wanted. The defense played strong, really did well at the point of attack, got pressure on Kelly and hit him a bunch of times. The young DB's held up for the most part, no glaring lapses. We went out and competed and got after it. The offense was what we have always been. Methodical, execution based, and able to move the ball on Ole Miss. We threw the ball well as well. In fact, I think we have the opportunity to really be able to use the pass this season. We have a depth at receiver of guys willing to go make plays. Loved the catch and run from Cole Cleary. Just missed on a nice long ball to RJ for what looked like a touchdown. And all of those guys are throwing their bodies around and getting after blocks on the perimeter, (RJ got a little too aggressive on one) got us a tough penalty that hurt a great drive. Love what the O Line is giving us, Saw the Big Swede out blocking downfield, saw my guy Ross Demmel out on the perimeter getting after blocks. Those guys are rock solid. Can't say enough good things out of the O Line. They have pushed piles, created holes, and when we decide to throw the ball have given the QB's time and a pocket.

Cannot say enough about how good both of our QB's look as well. They are both playing poised, composed, running the offense and not turning the ball over. Both are in command, and I trust both with the ball. These guys have risen to the challenge and are playing well. If we get this type of play from them all season, we have to like our spot.

Special Teams has been very good. We have a big time leg for field goals and flipping the field on punts. Kick coverage hasnt killed us either, which has always been an issue here at Wofford. And our return game has some pop and explosion in it. I think we will get a couple to the house with this group.

It appears that we are strong in all 3 phases of the game, offense defense and special teams.

We will be huge favorites in the next 2 games and if we play with the same attitude, and approach as the first 2, we will be sitting 3-1 and ready for the meat of the SoCon schedule. Not looking past anyone as we must approach each game as the most important, and we will, but no reason to not win the next 2.

My hats off to the coaching staff for getting these young men ready to play this season I really like what I see so far and I think we are on the verge of a special season. Confidence should grow each week, leading us into the thick of conference play.

My grade of this team is an A so far. I think we are establishing ourselves an identity this season. These next 2 games should help support that theory as I think our defense is one of the best in the SoCon. If we play Wofford football mixed with a top notch defense we are going to be a problem for everyone.

GO TERRIERS!!!!
19TERRIER19
True Terrier Fan

Re: 2 Games In......Grade the team so far.

Postby walliver on Mon Sep 12, 2016 12:08 pm

I would go with a B+.

Our kickoff coverage gets a D-. We have trouble stopping the opponent, even after a pooch kick. If things don't change, we will have 1 or 2 run back for TD's. We will routinely give our opponents good field position.

Our pass coverage is still questionable.

Butler and the RB's are looking comfortable with the option, and both lines are playing very well.

We will need to play better, however, to get by Chatty and Sammy.
walliver
True Terrier Fan

Postby Ruckus on Mon Sep 12, 2016 4:49 pm

.....and Cid and Mercer and Furman and Western.
Ruckus
True Terrier Fan

Postby 19TERRIER19 on Mon Sep 12, 2016 5:31 pm

Sammy will be an issue for sure. But they are really challenged on the defensive side of the ball so far.
19TERRIER19
True Terrier Fan

Postby Terryer on Mon Sep 12, 2016 8:53 pm

B+
Attended the game this weekend in Oxford and was impressed by our effort. There was a clear size and speed difference, but for the most part, we held our own. Many Ole Miss fans mentioned they were impressed by our scrappiness and team effort. Ole Miss was not surrendering any quick hitters up the middle on defense, but we were having some success around the ends in the second half.
Areas we need some improvement are 3rd down defense and kickoff coverage.
I love our time of possession, especially against Ole Miss. Our punting and kicking games are doing great this year. Quarterback play is great this year thus far.
I hope we work on the passing game against our next two opponents. We will need this "option" in future to keep defenses honest. I think we have the quarterbacks this year to have a more consistent pass attack.
Terryer
Terrier Pup

Postby youngterrier on Mon Sep 12, 2016 9:53 pm

what's the injury report looking like going into JCS?
Study hard, Work Hard, Party Hard, Go Terriers!
youngterrier
True Terrier Fan

Postby Ruckus on Tue Sep 13, 2016 7:04 am

This week's game notes say no significant injuries last week v Ole Miss.
Ruckus
True Terrier Fan

Postby youngterrier on Wed Sep 14, 2016 2:08 pm

I'll count last week as a win then
Study hard, Work Hard, Party Hard, Go Terriers!
youngterrier
True Terrier Fan

Return to Football