Great Fight Young men....

Southern Conference Champions - 2003, 2007, 2010, 2012, 2017
FCS Playoffs - 2003, 2007, 2008, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2016
FCS Playoff Semifinalists - 2003
FCS Playoff Quarterfinalists- 2016

Moderators: BestOfBreed, dungeonjoe

Great Fight Young men....

Postby 19TERRIER19 on Sat Sep 10, 2016 7:07 pm

Wasn't a win. But the T Dogs got after it. Competed. Battled. I think we have a special group here.
19TERRIER19
True Terrier Fan

Re: Great Fight Young men....

Postby Wofford Dude from Montana on Sat Sep 10, 2016 8:34 pm

Agreed, was not impressed watching first quarter, but got stronger as game wore on.
Tackling needs to be improved, a lot of arms waving around, instead of laying the pads on someone.
Good luck in the SoCon.
Wofford Dude from Montana
True Terrier Fan

Postby lawdog on Sat Sep 10, 2016 9:16 pm

There was good effort but as a team we could have performed better; I think we will. Apparently Coach feels the same way. We can still have a memorable season. Thoughts?
lawdog
True Terrier Fan

Postby Ruckus on Sat Sep 10, 2016 10:25 pm

Not so many mistakes by us as they just made plays with their athleticism.
I thought we played pretty damn well. Not many mistakes (few penalties, a few bad snaps) as much as they just made it tough on us. They are physically so superior. We have NOTHING to be ashamed of.
Over 300 yards offense; no TOs; held them under 40; and beat the spread by 15 points.
We averaged 56 yards a punt. Wow!
Proud of our kids. We will be just fine.
Bring on the SoCon.
Ruckus
True Terrier Fan

Postby T-Dog 4 on Sat Sep 10, 2016 10:54 pm

+1
To educate a man in mind and not in morals is to educate a menace to society.
-Theodore Roosevelt
T-Dog 4
True Terrier Fan

Postby boulder3m on Sun Sep 11, 2016 9:57 am

There were a number of guys who went down with lower body injuries. Any word on that?
boulder3m
True Terrier Fan

Postby Ruckus on Sun Sep 11, 2016 10:05 am

I have no official word but all that I saw were back in he game at some point. No one was out of pads or had ice wrapped.
Ruckus
True Terrier Fan

Postby youngterrier on Sun Sep 11, 2016 12:02 pm

I think this game reiterated how our overall team play is dependent on our offense being effective. I agree with the sentiment of Ruckus, etc that we played well, having nothing to be ashamed of, and that the overall gap in performance can be attributed to them just being better than us.

With that said, we could have come off the field with more points than we did but penalties killed us. I don't think we would have won this game unless Ole Miss made some bad mistakes and we played our best game possible. With that said, we were more competitive when we had those long, 7 minute drives.

After watching Wofford football for half my life and understanding the logistics of football, I can see that the bend but don't break approach to our defense can work just fine, but if our offense isn't consistent enough with grinding the clock and putting points on the board, the machine doesn't work.

In the same way it was hard to beat us circa 2008 when we were putting 38 points a game on the board, it's gonna be hard to beat us if we can burn 6-7 minutes of clock on every drive and get points as well. I think that's the key to our success this year, and the way we get there is by bringing back consistency to our offense. Two games in, and I'm optimistic.

Now to Johnson C Smith. Not to look past them (we can do this as fans), but the next 2 games should not be close at all. There's no excuse for us to lose to either them (a sub-D1 team) or start-up/reboot team ETSU.

If we start 3-1 and are healthy going into Samford, as far as I'm concerned we're a brand new football team
Study hard, Work Hard, Party Hard, Go Terriers!
youngterrier
True Terrier Fan

Postby walliver on Sun Sep 11, 2016 2:22 pm

I was afraid of another Baylor beat-down, but the team held in there. There were a few errors by the QB's - Butler's fumble (fortunately out of bounds) and Goodson's muffed hand-off. Both lines played well. The secondary did a good job of containment.

I wish we could have seen more of Goodson, although it would have been bad to pull Butler just when he seemed to get the offense moving. It's very hard to evaluate a player when he comes off the bench and has to work behind the second team offensive line. Hopefully he can come in earlier next week.
walliver
True Terrier Fan

Postby mudrat43 on Sun Sep 11, 2016 3:08 pm

Team did well. Thought all along we would be fine (if no serious injuries) in this game. Appear to have a head-up, quite, comfortable attitude going so far this season. Not that these first two games are an "average" performance wise, but a good indicator of potential once we get into SoCon play. Let's not look past JCSU nor ETSU and think only about our more traditional rivals......stay focused and take care of 'em one challenge at a time! Me likey these dogs!!!
mudrat43
True Terrier Fan

Return to Football