FCS Playoff Quarterfinalists- 2016, 2017

Moderators: BestOfBreed, dungeonjoe

2016 Final Schedule

Postby lawdog on Wed Jan 06, 2016 6:50 pm

lawdog
True Terrier Fan

Re: 2016 Final Schedule

Postby Eyes of Old Main on Thu Jan 07, 2016 12:36 am

Not a bad schedule, aside from the D-II, but it won't be easy. Opening at Tennessee Tech will mean there can be no slow start. Much like the season Wofford lost to G-W, dropping that one would effectively end a playoff hunt before it started. At Ole Miss you just hope to avoid the injuries that were sustained at Clemson this year. Getting ETSU early should hel the team get out in front of the conference race. Back to back road games at Samford and WCU followed by El Cid is a tough slate and going to Chattanooga will be a tall order but it remains to be seen how they fare now that QB Huesman is gone. Furman is Furman. We'll see how it pans out, but like all seasons the end result will be determined most by injuries (or lack thereof), execution and team chemistry/leadership.
SoCon Champs '03, '07, '10, '12, '17
FCS Playoffs '03, '07, '08, '10, '11, '12, '16, '17
FCS Semifinals '03
D-II Playoffs '90, '91
NAIA Finals '70
SC Little 4 Champs '48, '49, '50, '51, '52, '54, '56, '57, '61, '62, '63, '64
Cigar Bowl Participant '50
Eyes of Old Main
True Terrier Fan

Postby walliver on Thu Jan 07, 2016 7:29 am

Tennessee Tech will have a new coach and be hard to prepare for.
walliver
True Terrier Fan

Postby Ruckus on Thu Jan 07, 2016 8:10 am

We open with 2 long roads trips. Maybe we will fly into Oxford otherwise that's a 8 hour drive. TTU is at least a 4-5 hour drive.
Chatty, Sammy and Cid should be the top favorites in the conferemce with WCU right there too. We only have one of those at home so it doesn't set up well for us.
Unless a huge meteor slams into the earth and upsets all we know as natural and good, I don't expect a whole lot different than this year. We will win some and lose some, kids will play hard, we will have some injuries, we will run the ball exclusively, and teams will light us up with the forward pass. We are a very mediocre FCS program playing very mediocre football with good smart kids who graduate but are not great players and who are coached by good guys who like to do things the way they always have which has brought some success in the somewhat distant past.
That said, QB Joe Newman may be a game changer........stay tuned.
Ruckus
True Terrier Fan

Postby mudrat43 on Thu Jan 07, 2016 1:38 pm

The early road trips will be tiring, but at least we get them over quickly. The next two should get us into conference play with some sense of where we're at. After that, its just hunker down and take care of conference foes. Certainly hope we get through the trip to Oxford in better shape (physically) that last year at Clemson. Baring the almost insurmountable injuries of last year, I think we can hold our own during the mid-season slug-fest with the "bad guys". I expect management to get whatever QB uncertainties there are, settled out from the get-go. Here's to a good season for the Terriers!

"get 'em dogs, and shake 'em"
mudrat43
True Terrier Fan

Postby lawdog on Thu Jan 07, 2016 1:50 pm

Horse's mouth. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_v6H6B0sNi0

I have to believe that Jacks will have a very good year and that we have talent and depth at about every position, if we stay reasonably healthy.
lawdog
True Terrier Fan

Postby WocoSix on Thu Jan 07, 2016 8:58 pm

Saw the schedule and I am more optimistic. Considering what we are bringing back and what others are losing I like WoCo's chances.

Reasonable 8-4 record. I can see us pulling off a upset in WCU and/or Cid to go 9-3 or 10-2. Hopefully we stay healthy and not lose key players!

TN Tech will graduate several starters on Off and Def at the skill position. Woff Win
Ole Miss .... Ole Miss Win
Johnson C Smith .... Woff Win
ETSU will be in their first season. Don't think they ready for SoCon play yet... Woff Win
Samford we played close last season with a mash unit. Think we can pull it off on the Road...Woff Win
WCU offense will take a hit this year. Talent level is there and they are at home. We keep it close but ...WCU Win
Cid is at another level in the talent pool as a team. We have players here and there but fall off in the depth area...Cid Win
Mercer seem to improve year after year, if they beat us it will be in X's and O's... Woff Win
Furman I think we are ahead of them as a program. They seem to be stuck in Reverse ...Woff Winn
Chat I loved how we fought with a beat up roster again. If we can some how pull this off then We could be in the Playoff hunt...Chat Win
VMI I think we close the season strong with this win, especially if playoff implications ... Woff Win
WocoSix
True Terrier Fan

Return to Football