Beckham

Postby lawdog on Mon Dec 21, 2015 5:18 pm

What should they do with him? The refs?
http://www.wcnc.com/story/sports/nfl/pa ... /77695512/
lawdog
True Terrier Fan

Re: Beckham

Postby Loyalterrier on Mon Dec 21, 2015 8:42 pm

I only saw bits and pieces of the fight so I am not in a position to judge anyone. But of what I saw someone definitely needs some punishment and not just a slap on the wrist. Punishment that means business but also wording to the affect if it happens again then the consequences will be a whole lot worse. Give Beckham a second chance but if he does it again then don't show him any mercy. Treat Norman differently - just a fine and a warning or something much less than that of Beckham. I don't understand why the referee or referees let it go like that. maybe fine them too but they are totally different from the players so I don't know what to say about them. Bottom line is something definitely needs to be done to send everybody - players and refs - a clear message. Otherwise it could and probably will get worse.
Loyalterrier

Postby Ruckus on Mon Dec 21, 2015 9:15 pm

Happens to some extent in almost all NFL games now. Bleeding into college games, especially bowl games. AppSt/Ohio was a jaw fest. Remember Memphis St/BYU bowl game last year ending in bench clearing brawl?
Culture of today's athletes and a direct reflection of our society as a whole. PC pressure limits an appropriate response to it IMO. Don't get me started.....
Ruckus
True Terrier Fan

Postby boulder3m on Tue Dec 22, 2015 8:34 pm

I followed the NYC media after the game- WFAN radio; WABC and WCBS. Then the print media as well. Interestingly they were virtually unanimously of the opinion that OBJ was THE guilty party, and that Norman was only doing what all DB's do. Evidently this is the third or fourth incident with OBJ involving fines or suspensions. The undertone was that they were taunting him with talk of being gay, which is pretty low; but not unheard of in football. I thought that Norman had initiated some of the incidents, but the replays are strikingly that OBJ was totally out of control. Somehow they really got into his head before the game, and he just snapped. I was very surprised at the reaction from the NYC sports press, but they have turned on the coach too.
boulder3m
True Terrier Fan

Postby mudrat43 on Mon Dec 28, 2015 11:08 pm

Also hard to believe coach Coughlin didn't bench him. When he (Coughlin) was coaching the Jaguars up in Jacksonville, he was known as an extremely strict disciplinarian. No tardiness, no talking to the press, even had a dress code for away games. Guess the "win-at-all-costs", and the bright media spotlight in the Big Apple may have clouded his judgement. But as you say Ruckster, a sad sign of our current society.....!
mudrat43
True Terrier Fan

Return to Football